• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Sri Lanka in England

JBH001

International Regular
dinu23 said:
Moody's under fire from De Mel. He doesn't mince ihs words.

http://content-sl.cricinfo.com/srilanka/content/current/story/246407.html
De Mel really needs to shut up - there has been a plethora of armchair critics in Sri Lanka cricket over the years, and De Mel seems to have taken a seat next to all the others.

The problems in SL cricket have been increasingly apparent for the last 5 years or so to those with the eyes to see it - mainly a poor FC structure and worst of all, the gradual degradation of a once excellent schools cricket system.

The quality of the players SL has had over those years papered over those cracks but as those players age and/or retire those cracks are beginning to become harder to hide. Though that may also be because those cracks are starting to widen into chasms.

There is little Moody can do I think - a Test level coach should not have to coach basic techniques and attitudes into his Team. At test level the Coach is more responsible for game plans, strategies, and fine tuning existing techniques etc. Schools cricket and Club cricket should provide the basics and build the fundamentals. Its a little late in the day for a cricketer in his early 20s at Test level to start learning the fundamentals.

Further whatever the reasons behind Jayasuriyas retirement - its best to stick with it. Dropping his replacements after one test (whats Jaya going to do anyway? Coming in cold without any match practice? Not much I think) would wreak their confidence and belief at a time when they need it most. Their replacements probably already suspect they are not good enough - there is no reason for their chief selector to add to their worries.

What an idiot De Mel is.

(But most SL fans seem to be, bagging their team at every opportunity. SL may have a bad team - but its the team you have, may as well get behind them and hope for the best performances possible. Whatever the final result)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
chaminda_00 said:
WTF, the doors over there Moody, don't let it hit you on the head, on your way out. What joke blaming the ball for the teams' preformances.
He has a point though - it is difficult acclimatising to a major change in conditions.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
BoyBrumby said:
Is reassuring in a way that the selectors have gone for the best spinner, regardless of the theoretical extra runs Udal may've made.
I wager that the inclusion of Panesar in the 13 makes it more likely that Bell will play as the extra batsman.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Moody seems to be taking hits from all corners (media, fans, selectors etc.) and it'll be interesting how he holds up. Its definitely going to be a test of his character. I don't think he's doing as bad a job as many make out.

SL cricket is clearly in a rebuilding phase at the moment, and you can't expect wonders. A home series loss was disappointing, but if SL lose to England this series, I'd hardly call for Moody's head.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
superkingdave said:
although Graveney himself did say that Cook would definitely bat at 3 and Bell would only play if Fletcher and Flintoff decided on the extra batsman...
Oh. I missed that. :ph34r:

dinu23

International Debutant
england squad: Andrew Flintoff (capt), Marcus Trescothick, Andrew Strauss, Alastair Cook, Kevin Pietersen, Paul Collingwood, Geraint Jones (wk), Monty Panesar, Liam Plunkett, Matthew Hoggard, Sajid Mahmood, Ian Bell, Jon Lewis.

I think this will be the lineup for the first test:
Marcus Trescothick, Andrew Strauss,Alastair Cook,Ian Bell,Kevin Pietersen,Paul Collingwood,Geraint Jones (wk),Matthew Hoggard,Liam Plunkett,Sajid Mahmood, Jon Lewis

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
dinu23 said:
england squad: Andrew Flintoff (capt), Marcus Trescothick, Andrew Strauss, Alastair Cook, Kevin Pietersen, Paul Collingwood, Geraint Jones (wk), Monty Panesar, Liam Plunkett, Matthew Hoggard, Sajid Mahmood, Ian Bell, Jon Lewis.

Marcus Trescothick, Andrew Strauss,Alastair Cook,Ian Bell,Kevin Pietersen,Paul Collingwood,Geraint Jones (wk),Matthew Hoggard,Liam Plunkett,Sajid Mahmood, Jon Lewis
No Flintoff? :laugh:

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
dinu23 said:

Personally I can't see the 'five seamers' option as being a runner (leaving Bell out and putting Fred in, of course).

So either justthe 4 seamers (plus Pietersen being the token twirly plus Collingwood's dibbly dobblers) and Bell retaining his place in the lineup, or Bell sitting this one out and Panesar having a go.

Either way, Lewis to come in (probably as a one-off)?

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Jono said:
Moody seems to be taking hits from all corners (media, fans, selectors etc.) and it'll be interesting how he holds up. Its definitely going to be a test of his character. I don't think he's doing as bad a job as many make out.

SL cricket is clearly in a rebuilding phase at the moment, and you can't expect wonders. A home series loss was disappointing, but if SL lose to England this series, I'd hardly call for Moody's head.
Moody has been in the job for over a year (15 months at least) , and the results have been pretty bad from the time he took over .

Its not one series we are talking of here, its atleast 6 series. And the Team has so far failed to show any inkling of improvement . If the Team is rebuilding , fine , we really don't need someone over paid on a princely income to watch over and be an observer while the Team continues to lose series after series and worse show no bloody signs of improving .

A Sri Lankan coach can do the sme job at a fraction of his wage, while the money could be used to develop regional, rural cricket , school cricket etc.

IMHO , Moody, from what I have observed so far, is not upto the job.A county coach he may be , but an International Cricket coach he is certainly not.

Ashantha De Mel, was one of Sri Lanka's most successful cricketers and fast bowlers and I respect the guy . He knows what he is talking about.

Unfortunately we live in a world where every job has to have a performance review . And Moody's performance review score card marked at present will show pretty poorly.

I personally think he has difficulty motivating this Team or bonding with the senior players even and helping them or motivating them and that seems to be showing in the performances.

Given a choice , I would dump him after this English tour (which I hope will help him find some contract back in England for him to move onto) and entice Dav Whatmore back at whatever cost.

Last edited:

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
adharcric said:
Who would field at short leg if Bell sat out?
:laugh:

I would guess it would be the most junior member of the Team and in this instance I would say Alistair Cook.:)

adharcric

International Coach
Yeah I was thinking Strauss too. When choosing Bell you also need to consider how good a short-leg fielder he is. Perhaps it isn't as important though when you only have Monty Panesar as a spinner and he might not even play.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Strauss is pretty good at slip though.

I have got my tickets for the saturday at Lords and the Sunday at Edgbaston, my dads refusal to get sky means thats the only proper bit i will see of this series.

simmy

International Regular
Pothas said:

I have got my tickets for the saturday at Lords and the Sunday at Edgbaston, my dads refusal to get sky means thats the only proper bit i will see of this series.
pay for it yourself.. its worth it

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Pothas said:
yeah but IIRC Strauss is more of a manufactured slip, he was put in the slips during the Ashes because none of the others were candidates. Although when he first played both Butcher and Thorpe were still in the side. AFAIK Cook's always been a slipper

Fred's the problem because him being in the slip's means that whoever takes his place in the slips when he's bowling isn't a regular. Normally I'd have Tresco 1st, Fred 2nd, Cook3rd and Gilo Gully with Strauss under the helmet. But with Gilo out it presents more of a problem. You might see Plunkett in the gully if he plays.

I actually think Bell's fielding is at least as good as Collingwood's in test cricket, he's a safer pair of hands imo, and backward point isn't as important in tests.