• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Sri Lanka in England

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
steds said:
He calls himself "aussie", yet isn't. Don't see why he can't do the same with "lancashire fan."

Besides, Mahmood's not done anything, either. Tbf, neither of them have done anywhere near enough to be close to the Test side. However, I'm incredibly, stupendously biased towards Lancashire and claim that Mahmood has shown some potential atleast, whilst Plunkett hasn't. However, I'm slowly coming round to admitting that it's not true.
i'm not trying to big up Mahmood, just think that Plunkett has done even less, and has less about him as a bowler, so i don't see why he should be selected above Mahmood.

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
I'd like to see Broad in, Rutland lad and all :D

The county newspaper (the one I skim) ran with a very profesional headline of "STUART GETS ENGLAND CALL-UP" upon his callup to England A.

I like the kid, will go far.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
superkingdave said:
i'm not trying to big up Mahmood, just think that Plunkett has done even less, and has less about him as a bowler, so i don't see why he should be selected above Mahmood.
I think the most important reason for selecting Plunkett, and someone please correct my logic if I have made a mistake, is that Richard doesn't rate him - therefore he's worth a try.

;)

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
superkingdave said:
Plunkett is younger and can bat a bit.

As for steds... how can you say Plunkett hasn't shown potential when England are persisting with him when he's just turned 21?

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Jamee999 said:
I'd like to see Broad in, Rutland lad and all :D
Stuart Christopher John Broad born 24 June 1986, Nottingham, England

Didn't know you guys have occupied Nottingham...

(and his dad was a Zoiderman by birth and a Gloucestershire and Nottinghamshire player :p )

Neil Pickup

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Samuel_Vimes said:
Stuart Christopher John Broad born 24 June 1986, Nottingham, England

Didn't know you guys have occupied Nottingham...

(and his dad was a Zoiderman by birth and a Gloucestershire and Nottinghamshire player :p )
Oakham School

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Scaly piscine said:
Plunkett is younger and can bat a bit.

As for steds... how can you say Plunkett hasn't shown potential when England are persisting with him when he's just turned 21?

pffft, who needs to be able to bat, Saj can slog

SI Mahmood c Adams b Kirtley 94 66 79 13 3

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
superkingdave said:
call yourself a Lancashire fan, what exaclty has PLunkett done to deserve a place in front of Mahmood?
neither have done anythhing much to play but since but knowing how fletcher thinks i'd expect him to pick Plunkett.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Does it even matter who you play, the 5th bowler probably wont even get a bowl, it will probably only take 40 to 60 overs to bowl out Sri Lanka. You probably better off letting the extra batsmen have a shot out for a spot once Vaughan and co come back.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
chaminda_00 said:
Does it even matter who you play, the 5th bowler probably wont even get a bowl, it will probably only take 40 to 60 overs to bowl out Sri Lanka. You probably better off letting the extra batsmen have a shot out for a spot once Vaughan and co come back.
I would say If England win toss and put SL in, SL innings will be over just after Lunch possibly Mid afternoon around 40-45 over mark.:laugh:

dinu23

International Debutant
ok, so how will the final line up look like:
Vandort,Tharanga,Sanga,Mahela,Samaraweera,Dilshan,Kapugedara,Vaas,Zoysa,Malinga,Murali

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
dinu23 said:
ok, so how will the final line up look like:
Vandort,Tharanga,Sanga,Mahela,Samaraweera,Dilshan,Kapugedara,Vaas,Zoysa,Malinga,Murali
Yeah looks about right, Kulasekara and Maharoof out bowled Malinga, but they will probably give him another chance, on the back of his superior record in Tests.

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
Lewis, Mahmood and Plunkett in, Monty plays as the lone spinner.

Trescothick
Strauss
Cook
Pietersen
Collingwood
Flintoff*
Jones+
Plunkett
Hoggard
Lewis/Mahmood
Panesar

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Jamee999 said:
Lewis, Mahmood and Plunkett in, Monty plays as the lone spinner.

Trescothick
Strauss
Cook/Bell
Pietersen
Collingwood/Bell
Flintoff*
Jones+
Plunkett
Hoggard
Lewis/Mahmood
Panesar
Couple of minor alterations for ya - wouldn't want you looking like an eejit if Bell plays. ;)

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Barney Rubble said:
Couple of minor alterations for ya - wouldn't want you looking like an eejit if Bell plays. ;)
although Graveney himself did say that Cook would definitely bat at 3 and Bell would only play if Fletcher and Flintoff decided on the extra batsman...

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Five seamers a definite possibility IMHO. Although Colly's little dobbers might be more than usually useful at Lord's in May so Monty could yet make the XI.

It's reassuring in a way that the selectors have gone for the best spinner, regardless of the theoretical extra runs Udal may've made.