• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* South Africa in Sri Lanka Thread

Jnr.

First Class Debutant
Last Wicket: 36/5
Current Partnership: 94 runs, 36.5 overs, RR: 2.55
South Africa 130/5 (49.0 ov)

Boucher and Dippenaar are doing a good job.

Jnr.

First Class Debutant
Vaas has made the breakthrough.

Last Wicket: 137/6 (53.3 ov); Partnership: 101 runs, 41.2 overs, RR: 2.44
MV Boucher c Kaluwitharana b Vaas 51 (132b 7x4 0x6) SR: 38.64

WPUJC Vaas 12-5-22-4

:D

Jnr.

First Class Debutant
Pollock gone.

South Africa 140/7, Partnership of 3
SM Pollock c Atapattu b Dilshan 3 (5b 0x4 0x6)

SA in deep trouble.

Sehwag309

Banned
Some time ago, ppl were arguing that england shouldn't be No.2..

Now South Africa Jump Straight to 6 spot

1)Aus
2)Eng
3)Pak
4)Ind
5)Sri
6)Saf
7)NZ
8)WI
9)Zim
10)Ban

Jnr.

First Class Debutant
All over, SL win by 313 runs.
SL win the series 1-0.

South Africa 179/10
HH Dippenaar 59* (166b 8x4)

LS Malinga 13-1-54-3 (1w 10nb)
WPUJC Vaas 18-8-29-6

Jnr.

First Class Debutant
Man of the Match: KC Sangakkara
Man of the Series: WPUJC Vaas

They are both great players who would make my favourite XI. :D

Craig

World Traveller
Jnr. said:
All over, SL win by 313 runs.
SL win the series 1-0.

South Africa 179/10
HH Dippenaar 59* (166b 8x4)

LS Malinga 13-1-54-3 (1w 10nb)
WPUJC Vaas 18-8-29-6
Of course Vaas was just benefitting in home conditions right TEC? :p :happy:

Dar

School Boy/Girl Captain
Well done Chaminda Vaas, what a quality bowler he is. People go on about spinners on the last day of a Sri Lanka test match but for a swing and seam bowler to do it is great. And as for South Africa, people suspected they would struggle in these conditions and have been proved right.

And is it just me or do Sri Lanka seem to not miss Murali at all. There was a time when Murali was out Sri Lanka were no hopers now they have a lot of good bowlers in his absence. In Australia Chandana bowled beautifully and now Vaas and Jayasuria are doing the job

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Craig said:
Of course Vaas was just benefitting in home conditions right TEC? :p :happy:

Well, seeing as the match was at home...

He is such an inconsistent bowler that the next game he could easily take 1-150odd.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
I find it strange and ludicrous that a team losing one Test Match should drop from 3rd to 6 th in the rankings (as a result of one Test loss). This to me reflects the nonsensical nature of the current ranking system.

In my opinion the current rankings stand thus -

1. Australia
2. India
3. England / South Africa- 3rd, 4th ranking will be more clearer after England's winter tour to SA.

5. New Zealand/ Pakistan/ Sri Lanka

8. West Indies

Congratulations to Sri Lanka and to Sangakkara for a brilliant Man of the Match batting performance and to Chaminda Vaas, Jayasuriya and Malinga for excellent bowling performances.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
JASON said:
I find it strange and ludicrous that a team losing one Test Match should drop from 3rd to 6 th in the rankings (as a result of one Test loss). This to me reflects the nonsensical nature of the current ranking system.
Or does it reflect how close a fair number of sides are?

JASON said:
I'd like to see why you would say that - based on a 1-1 draw against a much-weakened Australia and a 2-1 win against a notoriously inconsistent Pakistan?

Sehwag309

Banned
marc71178 said:
I'd like to see why you would say that - based on a 1-1 draw against a much-weakened Australia and a 2-1 win against a notoriously inconsistent Pakistan?

Hmm, So where would you place them.
And if they do manage to draw or better this time around, would you then be satisfied India being No.2

Neil Pickup

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'd place India at 4, because the CW rankings are always right :)

I did tell you that the ICC rankings were prone to extreme fluctuations, didn't I?

Swervy

International Captain
JASON said:

In my opinion the current rankings stand thus -

1. Australia
2. India
3. England / South Africa- 3rd, 4th ranking will be more clearer after England's winter tour to SA.

5. New Zealand/ Pakistan/ Sri Lanka

8. West Indies

Congratulations to Sri Lanka and to Sangakkara for a brilliant Man of the Match batting performance and to Chaminda Vaas, Jayasuriya and Malinga for excellent bowling performances.
other than draw wit Australia, really what have India done in the last 18 months to justify a second position????...apart from get murdered by NZ,and beat a relativley poor Pakistan team

biased indian

International Coach
Swervy said:
other than draw wit Australia, really what have India done in the last 18 months to justify a second position????...apart from get murdered by NZ,and beat a relativley poor Pakistan team
so who should be placed above us England!!!!!!!!!!!!!

who has not managed to atleast draw the aussies :cool:

or for hammering a WI side which is surely worse than the pakistan team :p

Legglancer

State Regular
Sanga - most influential cricketer

By Peter Roebuck

Kris Sangakkarra is emerging as the most influential cricketer in his country. Taking advantage of another pitch bereft of bounce and an attack that might just as well have been called a defence, the stylish left-hander confirmed his flowering as a batsman with a committed and skilful innings that took his side into a powerful position.

In olden times cricketers used to talk about batsmen booking in for "bed and breakfast". Sangakkara went a good deal further and seemed inclined to turn his stay at the crease into an altogether lengthier occupation . As far as the South Africans were concerned he outstayed his welcome by several days. Along the way this fine product of Trinity School in Kandy introduced himself as a player of substance. It is one thing to take runs off a bunch of juveniles representing Zimbabwe, quite another to bat for a month or so against a confident and supposedly aggressive South African outfit.

Previously Sanga has seemed to be one of those creative, intelligent , poetic sort of fellows likely to score an ornate forty before wafting away outside off-stump and then departing with an air of profound regret. Rumours had spread that he read books, including the works of Oscar Wilde, an Irish wit whose oeuvre has not generally appealed to those appointed to the important task of taking the shine off the new ball. Wilde once pointed out that he could" resist anything except temptation" and there have been times when the same might have been said of the forthright left-hander.

Of course Sanga never was a lightweight. we are inclined to put me into boxes and to indulge in caricature. Nor was he ever as insouciant as David Gower, in some respects a fellow traveller. To the contrary he was as likely to become embroiled in an argument upon the field as Arjuna Ranatunga, and that is saying something. Plainly his intellect did not leave him hovering on the brink of the action like some Hamlet wondering whether to go forwards or back. He wanted to be involved in every minute of the game, felt he belonged in the heat of battle. He is a warrior in the guise of a philosopher, a patriot presented as a philosopher.

As much could have been guessed from Sanga's willingness to keep wickets, a job he carries out with a combination of aplomb and humour. From his perch behind the sticks the Kandyan produces a range of vivid facial expressions that accurately convey the thoughts of the inner man. When by some misfortune a ball eludes him or an appeal is denied there comes over him the offended look of a golfer whose ball has circled the hole without dropping.It as if a dark cloud has unexpectedly arrived in the middle of a sunny afternoon. At any moment his state of mind can be deduced from the look upon his map. Upon finding found aces in his hand he will beam. A man may not make a fortune at cards that way but for some it cannot be otherwise.

Not that his keeping has been a laughing matter. Indeed he has been at least as reliable as the gloved practitioners in the current Test match, amongst whom the African is suffering such a deterioration that his place must be in jeopardy. Nevertheless Sangakkarra's keeping is valuable mainly for the insight it provides into the workings of his soul. But it is his batting that sets him apart.

Sanga batted beautifully in Colombo. From the start he found the rhythm all batsmen seek, and with it came a blend between defence and attack often found in men on top of their games . His approach in the dying embers of the first day told a tale. By then South Africa had fallen back and harmless spin was being sent down from both ends. After many hours batting under a steamy sun, the Lankan might easily have lost his head and perchance his wicket. But danger lurked in the form of the second new ball. Accordingly the leftie rejected the opportunity presented by the mild tweakers and contented himself with accepting such runs as came along . Although his partner fell in the twilight, Sangakkarra lived to fight another day, a strategy that was duly rewarded.

Sangakkarra's performance in his capital city was the most impressive of an already distinguished career. In his own way he brings class and combativeness to the Sri Lanka team, a contribution that compliments the stoicism displayed by his new captain. In so many ways he is everything his country needs to be, bright, cosmopolitan, proud, thoughtful, unafraid and progressive. Happily these elements have ben released in this young man of his times. Perhaps it will prove to be contagious.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Legglancer

State Regular
SA have to really look whithin and try to find their "mojo" again ..... not too long ago SA were league's ahead of the pack with the only exception of australia. Now it looks like the team is tanking fast, they are playing way too negatively and dont seem to enjoy the cricket. The SA pace attack looked "impotent" as opposed to the lesser known Sri Lanken exponents.

Perhaps we Can expect better and more positive play from the proteas in the ODI series !!!!

Langeveldt

Soutie
Sadly SA deserve their number six spot I am afraid...

But TBH they would give all those above them except Australia a good hiding at home, yet get beaten poorly away. I'm not too fussed about the Lankan tour, but the NZ one was really disappointing. Im worried they are becoming like the 90's Indian side..