• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* South Africa in Sri Lanka Thread

Andre

International Regular
JASON said:
They achieved what they set out to from the outset of this Test, ie. secure a draw.

Having not played for two months and lack of a quality spinner (plus Smith down with the wog) meant they had to play for a draw and they achieved it without any difficulty, in fact had they played slightly more positively they could have been victorious.

But at the start of this Test they set out to achieve a draw and they have done just that.

They may do the same for the next Test too!!
And it's little wonder they won't challenge to be the top side in the world at some stage in the near future. Going for a draw before the match starts is supreme idiocy and a soft option from the management and captain, and personally, it would be a hollow feeling at best - they didn't even try to go for a win, so they only have themselves to blame in that respect. As a mate told me today, they play not to lose rather than to win - hence, it's little wonder they choke when they need to win.

Oh, and Boje outbowled Murali.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Andre said:
Oh, and Boje outbowled Murali.
Is that based on the five'r he took in SL second innings, when the Lankans were trying to set a target ?

While not wanting to discredit the achievement, you have to see it from the perspective of the game then. The Lankans trying to set the target, were unsure how to go about pacing the innings and lost their way and gifted their wickets taking unnecessary risks.

I don't think Boje would have got many, if the Lankans had played in a stubborn, wicket occupying mindset like the SA did.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I doubt Nel will be brought in for a batsman. He may be brought in for Hayward though.

And although I dont think Klusener should have ever seen test cricket, I wouldnt be shocked it Gibbs came in for Dippenaar.

nookie_lk

First Class Debutant
JASON said:
They achieved what they set out to from the outset of this Test, ie. secure a draw.

Having not played for two months and lack of a quality spinner (plus Smith down with the wog) meant they had to play for a draw and they achieved it without any difficulty, in fact had they played slightly more positively they could have been victorious.

But at the start of this Test they set out to achieve a draw and they have done just that.

They may do the same for the next Test too!!

thats a very negative approach...i dont think southafrica will go for a draw for the next game...they will try to win it....

Craig

World Traveller
If you are not out there to at least try and win then IMO there isn't really much point being out there.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Murali out of second Test with shoulder injury.

SA must feel they have been given a boost even before the start.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
As the only person not to go for Murali and the only person to pick SA to win the 2nd Test, I'm not too displeased by that! :)

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
marc71178 said:
As the only person not to go for Murali and the only person to pick SA to win the 2nd Test, I'm not too displeased by that! :)
SL still have a battery of spinners (Herath, Chandana, Jayasuriya and Dilshan), and SA have to bat 4th on this pitch.

I predict another draw, with batsmen from both Teams having a good time of it, may be the SA batsmen more than the SL batsmen.

dude

School Boy/Girl Captain
good knock by kumar, it looks like a 500+ wicket on the 1st innings. bad blow with the loss of murali but chandana, herath and malinga may all in all be a better bowling attack than what SL had in galle! chandana was not effective on a slow track but with the SSC wicket the ball would turn quick therefore making him a bit more effective.

Dar

School Boy/Girl Captain
Hi, i'm new to the site and i can't be bothered to read all nine pages of the thread cos i'm lazy so i hope i don't repeat stuff thats already been said!!

Anyway, looks like Sri Lanka are looking good, i'm sure the pitch is flat though. Sangakarra seems in great from as well as Mahela. I really can't understand playing Kaluwitharana as well as Sangakarra who is a perfectly good wicketkeeper. I know there trying to keep sanga fresh but they could accomodate an extra batsman instead of Kalu. Maybe they could bat Samaraweera at three and play sanga at five and wicketkeep.

I also think Sri Lanka need to start performing overseas. Its all very well them thrashing people at home but they go overseas and almost seem scared to play naturally.

As far as this test is concerned they need to score as many as possible quickly so they have enough time to bowl south africa out twice if it comes to that. Marvan should be positive in his captaincy so they win the game not draw it

Langeveldt

Soutie
Im not too fussed by SA's approach to this series..

They could of course, look to be more dominant, get steamrollered and I don't think many people would be congratulating them on being "aggressive losers".. You can't win really...

Jnr.

First Class Debutant
105.6 Hayward to Sangakkara, three runs, 3rd double century! short ball,
pulled away to mid wicket, well played

3rd Test double ton for Sangakkara.

His others were:
230 v PAK 01/02
270 v ZIM 03/04

Craig

World Traveller
Andre said:
I wouldn't congratulate them at all. They didn't even try to win the match.

Van Jaarsveld won't be dropped - Dippenaar will be first to go.
What gave you the idea that Dippenaar was going to get dropped?

Craig

World Traveller
Jnr. said:
105.6 Hayward to Sangakkara, three runs, 3rd double century! short ball,
pulled away to mid wicket, well played

3rd Test double ton for Sangakkara.

His others were:
230 v PAK 01/02
270 v ZIM 03/04
Now I would like to see him post those huge scores outside of Asia or Boost-Your-Career-Average-Tour (sorry Zimbabwe).

Sri Lanka 395/5 at Lunch.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
SA have only bowled about 46 overs so far, and with Tea approaching they would have bowled only about 48 overs in 4 hours today. Even with the weather conditions, to me that looks pretty poor cricket from SA.

I wonder if they were deliberately slowing it up in the morning session when they didn't get many wickets .

Surely this must be coming to the attention of the Match referees!!