• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* South Africa in Sri Lanka Thread

Craig

World Traveller
Well they should be fined heavily IMO for slow over rates unless weather has played a part or there have been lengthy breaks in play. It is not acceptable and it is basically telling the opposition they are on top. You should never try to give the opposition the message you are on top and you can't fight back.

Besides you have to spend 6 hours out in the field, why would you want to be out there longer?

Chaminda Vaas struck early and Gibbs went first ball LBW, South Africa 3-1.

Last edited:

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I was flicking through the channels this morning and realized that I'm getting live coverage of the SL/SA Tests. That's just added to my joy, seeing as this weekend is Olympics, WI/Eng and of course, the Dev League.

I must say that Dean Jones and Mike Haysman were quite entertaining in their commentary stint.

Legglancer

State Regular
Craig said:
Well they should be fined heavily IMO for slow over rates unless weather has played a part or there have been lengthy breaks in play. It is not acceptable and it is basically telling the opposition they are on top. You should never try to give the opposition the message you are on top and you can't fight back.

Besides you have to spend 6 hours out in the field, why would you want to be out there longer?

Chaminda Vaas struck early and Gibbs went first ball LBW, South Africa 3-1.
I agree compleately ...... Boy what a diffrance from how the aussies played in SL earlier this year !!! SA has turned out to this series as if returning from a funeral ..... its boooorrringgggg ... :sleep1: Their is a apparent lack of communication amongst the team which is inturn affecting their body- language and spirit. :bored: :down: Not a good advertisement for test Cricket.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
What a cricketer Sangakkara has become, He is the best Sri lankan talent since Muralitharan.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Who needs Murali... Jayasuriya ripping through South Africa at the moment. Kallis and Smith out, Jayasuriya has 10-3-19-4.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
SA 141/5 - Jayasuriya takes his fourth wicket of the innings.

Bowlers : O M R W
ST Jayasuriya (SLA) 10 3 19 4

Name Mat O M R W Best Ave Econ SR 5 10
ST Jayasuriya 92 1142 268 2784 86 5-43 32.37 2.43 79.6 1 0

Jayasuriya needs just 14 wickets to get to 100 Test wickets to make it to the Test double for an all rounder .

Last edited:

tooextracool

International Coach
well just like england did, SA missed their chance of winning the first test......the psychological advantage gained from a draw never helps.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
looks like SA have their work cut out with over 500 to chase on final two days.

I sure do hope Jayasuriya gets his wickets, because with retirement not too far away he may not reach his 100 test wickets.

Last edited:

Jnr.

First Class Debutant
Match State: Stumps - Day 3

End of over 55 (maiden) Sri Lanka 211/4 (lead by 492 runs)
JA Rudolph 7-2-22-1 - Tennis Courts End
TT Samaraweera 21* (54b 1x4) TM Dilshan 23* (37b 4x4)

Slow Love™

International Captain
Sri Lanka should have enforced the follow-on. When you've bowled a side out for less than 200, it seems over-cautious to me to set a total to win of around 500. By saying no to the follow-on, Attapatu put himself in a dilemma as to what target he felt safe with, rather than pushing for a quick victory with another innings to play if it became necessary. Even if the priority was on not batting last, with only two days to play, how much time would Attapatu have expected to have to bat, had South Africa set them any kind of reasonable total?

Both captains have paid for their defensiveness this series - part of the problem IMO is that this is an inherent risk with these crappy two-test series. Both teams know that just one loss means the series is gone (in the sense that it can't be won) so there's far too much emphasis on making sure you can't lose.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Rain Delay Day4 - Likely to washout Day 4.

I think SA will be pretty happy to have saved this Test and Lankans will have no-one but themselves to blame for not enforcing the Follow-on.

Slow Love™

International Captain
JASON said:
Rain Delay Day4 - Likely to washout Day 4.

I think SA will be pretty happy to have saved this Test and Lankans will have no-one but themselves to blame for not enforcing the Follow-on.
I'm not totally sure South Africa have saved it yet, although certainly Atapattu blundered, and gave them some help. Play has resumed - 30 overs or so to play, and Gibbs and van Jaarlsveld already dismissed. Sri Lanka do still have a chance to win this, providing there isn't much play lost from here.

Jnr.

First Class Debutant
113 overs minimum to be bowled tomorrow, and SA are already 2 down. Providing the rain goes away, SL can still win this.

ReallyCrazy

Banned
why didn't SL enforce follow-on? Its stupid. I think barring extreme circumstances, if the choice is there teams should enforce follow-on.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Weather forecast doesn't look good, and overnight rain won't help either.
SA have to thank the weather Gods and Atapattu.

Dar

School Boy/Girl Captain
Looks like Sri Lanka's negativity has come back to haunt them again. With a first innings lead of nearly 300 to not enforce the follow on is ridiculous especially the way the SA batsmen were struggling. The to score 211 of 55 overs (LESS THAN 4 AN OVER) is again stupid when setting a target.

Jnr.

First Class Debutant
In retrospect you can say that not following on was a bad decision, but if Atapattu knew there would be rain, I'm sure he would've enforced it.

Slow Love™

International Captain
Jnr. said:
In retrospect you can say that not following on was a bad decision, but if Atapattu knew there would be rain, I'm sure he would've enforced it.
Maybe he would have, but it was a poor decision even if there had been no rain. Certainly, before the rain came, Graeme Smith was delighted with Atapattu's decision - it was completely unnecessary, and South Africa were more than happy for Sri Lanka to bat away valuable overs.

Back to the game though, and a great start for the Sri Lankans, who can definitely still win this game - Kallis out in the first over of the day. South Africa 24/3.

Slow Love™

International Captain
Smith is out, and South Africa's back is well and truly against the wall. I wonder what the weather's like? If it doesn't rain, I don't give SA any chance of saving this now.

EDIT: Rudolph's out - that's five down. This could end pretty quickly!

Last edited: