• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* South Africa in Sri Lanka Thread

Craig

World Traveller
marc71178 said:
Erm, last time I checked there were more teams than Australia playing Test matches - so results against them also count.

In the Premiership last year, I believe Man Citeh took 4 points of Manure with a win and a draw, yet they only just avoided relegation because they didn't play like that against every other side.

This is a similar scenario.
That and against Everton, they would be doing pretty well.

DocHead

School Boy/Girl Captain
SA up the creek, no paddle in sight

So, SA have slipped to 6th in the rankings, and based on their recent results, it's hard to really argue too much. They've failed to put away England, New Zealand & now Sri Lanka after starting the tour in a typically bombastic mood. I don't think there was much wrong with the Ford/Pollock teaming, Simons/Smith certainly isn't much better.

I was really chuffed after the first test, at last some of the old backbone is back, Bouch's form is a bit of an issue but he'll work it out. Boje's doing the biz, and Rudolf's shown he has what it takes. A lot of positives.

But then came the 2nd test, along with a surrender so awesome it would have made even the French look up from the Croissants and said "Merde!" You'd think Sanath was Murali & Vaas was Waqar in his prime. Vaas took 6 in the 2nd innings, Ntini & Hayward couldn't buy one for love or money. And the worst bit is, they're rumored to be fast bowlers, but were actually bowling slower than the Lankan Pacemen. That's gotta be a massive bodyblow to the ego.

Boucher is quite close to being woeful behind the stumps right now, and his batting's not far behind. Sadly the team seems to be following his example, there used to be a time when SA dropping catches was almost unheard of, no more.

I'm actually dreading the India tour, and 3 weeks ago, it couldn't come fast enough. Jeesters, I hope this is just early season blues.

I guess in conclusion, arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1st time since 1995 I'm looking forward to Rugby more than Cricket. :surrender

Langeveldt

Soutie
Sad to hear the demise of Boucher :(

Is this the time to rest him and get Tsolekile in do you think?

Im personally getting a bit ****ed off with all the talk, hype and the pumped up attitude of the South Africans.. It happens before every bloody world cup... I think they should just go out there and play cricket without slapping all this pressure and expectation on themselves before each series..

Maybe if Smith was a bit quieter, trusted his men a bit more rather than feeling the need to shout from the rooftops about how "up for it" everyone is, maybe the guys would get somewhere...

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
marc71178 said:
And India not winning a series outside the subcontinent for 18 years will not make them a better side than England.

People continue to talk up an Indian side that is not actually performing as well on the field as they'd like to think.

Before the first West Indies series, just about everyone expected a very close series - yet when England won 3-0, West Indies were suddenly a bad side.

Before the NZ series, just about everyone expected a very close series - yet when England won 3-0, New Zealand were suddenly a bad side.

Next up is the SA series - just about everyone expects a very close series, with SA favourite.

If England win 3-0, how long will it take for people to denounce SA as a bad side?
The West Indies have been a bad side for a while now, I think England just turned out to be better than expected. NZ aren't world beaters either. If England do win in SA though then they will have beaten opposition with more than 1 or 2 decent players in the team for the first time in a while, and fully deserve their no.2 spot.

Swervy

International Captain
Son Of Coco said:
The West Indies have been a bad side for a while now, I think England just turned out to be better than expected. NZ aren't world beaters either. If England do win in SA though then they will have beaten opposition with more than 1 or 2 decent players in the team for the first time in a while, and fully deserve their no.2 spot.
I think England supporters can accept the fact to really show that they deserve the number 2 tag, a good result in South Africa is needed...but I think England fans on here (and me as well) are just waiting for the devaluing of a good result by people who will then say, 'well SA are no good anymore' etc

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Swervy said:
I think England supporters can accept the fact to really show that they deserve the number 2 tag, a good result in South Africa is needed...but I think England fans on here (and me as well) are just waiting for the devaluing of a good result by people who will then say, 'well SA are no good anymore' etc
I realise that will undoubtedly happen, but then I don't think everyone on here is putting forth their points from a purely cricketing point of view! haha You'd have to question someone's knowledge of the game if they still weren't convinced.

Swervy

International Captain
Son Of Coco said:
I realise that will undoubtedly happen, but then I don't think everyone on here is putting forth their points from a purely cricketing point of view! haha You'd have to question someone's knowledge of the game if they still weren't convinced.
sometimes on here one is always questioning peoples knowledge of the game.

Slow Love™

International Captain
marc71178 said:
So you're saying that regardless of previous results (heck England won as many Tests in Australia in the Ashes as India did) - if India lose to Aus and England lose to SA, then India are ranked higher than England?
Yeah, this seems a strange argument - it might have made more sense if Jason had been more optimistic about the Australian tour of India (which would have then been a fair point - and IMO, the Indians SHOULD be very optimistic).

How losing to Australia at home after 30-odd years would prove that India are a better team than England, I really don't know.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Samuel_Vimes said:
Time for Hingston to be pleased...

Langeveldt called up

And with his team heading towards a loss against Zimbabwe, that's probably just as well!
My man charl is back!

Disgusted with him being called a "left armer" what is all that about?? Come on cricinfo sort your lives out..

Sad that Andre was passed unfit.. But time for McGrathesque line and length to come to the fore methinks..

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Disgusted with him being called a "left armer" what is all that about?? Come on cricinfo sort your lives out..
Must be mistaken for that other Charl....Willoughby.

DocHead

School Boy/Girl Captain
Andre Nel is the best fast bowler impersonator in the world. He's got everything a good quickie needs except pace. Although, having said that, in the last home series they clocked him at 145kph.

Getting back to Boucher vs. Tsolekile (sp?), I'd still stick with Mark for a bit, I'm concerned about lowering the depth we've got in batting when our bowling attack's so poor. Tsolekile isn't too good with willow sadly.

A lot of people have given up on him, but I think Adams needs a good thump around the head, and to knuckle down and start spinning the ball again. He also needs to actually work on adding some guile, he's not a fresh 19yr old anymore. 6 Chinamans an over isn't good enough. He's bowled the one that goes the other way, so we know that he can do it. Ntini's also quite samey all the time. His definition of a slower ball being 2kph off the pace of his fastest needs to be tweaked big time.

We're not going to get it all right in time for India, but we'd better give England a massive snotty or I shall be very annoyed.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
DocHead said:
Andre Nel is the best fast bowler impersonator in the world. He's got everything a good quickie needs except pace. Although, having said that, in the last home series they clocked him at 145kph.
What's his accuracy like? Young pacemen usually like to spread it over the park a bit...

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
SA 263/9 - Kallis 74 from 85 balls, Boucher (much criticised for his recent poor form with the bat) 58 from 47 balls. Brilliant bowling at death from Vaas as usual 4 for 33 from 7 overs.

SA may still be able to bowl themselves into a winning position here as they are playing a strong bowling attack for this ODI with Pollock, Ntini, Dawson, Boje, Kallis and Klusener and the lankans having to bat under lights.

Last edited:

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Just happened to notice that Dawson is actually 35!!

Why pick a 35 year old who has only played 16 ODI's to date ?

How would that help their cause?

Shouldn't they be getting some younger players more experienced, so that by the time the next world cup comes around, their experience would help their cause?

Picking 20 year old Jean Paul Duminy was a good forward-thinking selection IMO.

Last edited:

Legglancer

State Regular
Vaas - the unsung hero

Peter Roebuck

Chaminda Vaas is the unsung hero of Sri Lankan cricket. Over the years credit has been given to more charismatic men whose leadership and prodigious talents secured a vast following across the land. Aravinda, Arjuna and Murali have been colourful and controversial characters whose deeds have turned cricket fields into stages. An emerging cricketing force searching for identity took them to its heart, defended them against all comers. Every country needs its champions and its warriors .

Vaas has been the quiet achiever, bowling his overs, scoring his runs, hiding his exasperation at dropped catches and bad luck and always turning out for the next match determined to serve to the very best of his abilities. It is a contribution whose importance will eventually be realised. Meanwhile it is a matter of looking in the books and counting wickets, matches and victories, and throughout, Vaas has been the leader of the attack.

A tendency has arisen to underestimate consistent and humble performers. Often such men are not properly appreciated till the time comes to hang up the boots. As Joni Mitchell sang not so very long ago," sometimes you don't know what you've got till its gone/ they paved paradise and put up a parking lot" Within the game, though, Vaas commands immense respect. Certainly the Australians hold him in high regard. During the last series played in Sri Lanka many of the Aussie batsmen remarked upon his skill, control and perseverance. Nor could they read his swing and none felt they had his measure. Considering the aggression of the Australians, the nature of the pitches and Vaas' lack of height and pace, this was high praise.

Perhaps, too, it is an indication of a revival in fast-medium bowling. Not so long ago batsmen were convinced that medium pace was as dead as last month's news reel. But , then, much the same was said of wrist-spin a decade ago. Supposedly cricket had developed into a game of pace and penetration. A study of the rankings confirms that it was all hogwash. Glenn Mcgrath, Shaun Pollock and Vaas might not strike fear into a collection of librarians but they take wickets economically and help their captains to retain control of the game. And they last a long time.

Vaas and company have reinforced the view that cricket is a game of skill. Their work cannot be appreciated with a casual glance for there is nothing scintillating about it. Closer scrutiny reveals clever variations and an ability to pin a batsman down till his will has been broken or a weak point has been exploited. Aggression has many forms and is not to be mistaken for mindless violence. The West Indians of the 1980's did not rely only on speed; they, too, were supreme technicians

Consistency is Chaminda's other strong point. He does not seem to have bad days. He is the most resourceful of the left-handers to emerge in the last few years.and has about him the air of the canny professional capable of adjusting his game to meet the prevailing circumstances. When the ball is swinging he is dangerous and when the blessed thing refuses to leave the straight and narrow he is able to concentrate upon cutters and other subtleties devised over the years.

Every country needs a fast bowler capable of taking wickets with the new ball. In his unobtrusive way, Vaas has fulfilled this role for Sri Lanka. Of course he has not quite been a Kapil Dev or an Imran Khan, coaxing life's moribund surfaces and inspiring a thousand imitators. Such men come along once in a generation. But Chaminda has led in his own way and his figures speak for themselves.

Not so long ago the idea of a Sri Lankan fast bowler taking hundred of wickets in Test cricket seems farfetched. The pitches were unhelpful, the locals were not strong enough and it was too damn hot. Vaas refused to give in and has become one of the most popular and admired cricketers around. It is a considerable achievement .Many bowlers in India, Pakistan and elsewhere could learn a lot from him.