• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* South Africa in Sri Lanka Thread

dude

School Boy/Girl Captain
you guys think SL has enough time to bowl SA out? i was thinking if they declared late? had SA had least 15 overs before end of days play on the 4th day, then SL may have given themselves a chance to get a head start on the SA wickets. england survived in a similar situ last year., SA may just do that.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
There's no doubt that the pitch has deteriorated, but if SA openers can stay put through first session, or if Kallis plays a big innings they will definitely win!

If Murali who was struggling for his wickets in the first innings is handled by the SA batsmen like in the first, then SA may win this. All they need is good solid partnerships.

If they lose a few early wickets, it shouldn't be difficult to play for a draw, since England with a weaker batting side managed a draw on a similar pitch at the same venue.

Sehwag309

Banned
Very Interesting game but it's not gonna be easy if Lanka uses the all round spin attack on this pitch

Any stats on achieving 300+ runs on day 5

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
cricket_spider said:
It will be a DRAW !!

I have $500 on it ........ :)
SA 49/1 close to lunch. Looks like draw is holding.
Any chance we could share your winnings ?
BTW What was it paying for a draw ?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
The game in delicately posied, but I think SAF will accelerate and try to get the runs after lunch.

On a side note, who do you think SA will drop when Gibbs comes back? It will probably be Klusener, but they could very well drop Dippenaar or Van Jaarsveld in order to have the extra bowler.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Prince EWS said:
The game in delicately posied, but I think SAF will accelerate and try to get the runs after lunch.
They still have plenty of time and wickets to go for it.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Prince EWS said:
On a side note, who do you think SA will drop when Gibbs comes back? It will probably be Klusener, but they could very well drop Dippenaar or Van Jaarsveld in order to have the extra bowler.
I don't think Klusener's bowling adds anything to their current attack.

Unless he comes in and thumps a quick fifty or hundred I think he may be dropped.

I would be interested to see if they take Nel as an extra bowler or even in place of Hayward.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
JASON said:
They still have plenty of time and wickets to go for it.
van Jaarsveld out... RRR approaching 5 an over, if they are going to go for it, Smith and Kallis better accelerate now.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
48.4 Jayasuriya to Smith, one run, on leg side, gets back and nudges
behind square on the leg side
Ground staff preparing for some rain, dark clouds coming in from
the ocean

This might ensure the draw!

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
JASON said:
48.4 Jayasuriya to Smith, one run, on leg side, gets back and nudges
behind square on the leg side
Ground staff preparing for some rain, dark clouds coming in from
the ocean

This might ensure the draw!
56.1 Muralitharan to Smith, no run, outside off, bit short, back at
guides the cut to the off, cant beat cover point

Threat seems to have passed over as the ground crew go back and
relax

End of over 56 (maiden) South Africa 112/2 (213 more runs req)
TM Dilshan 12-5-20-1 - City End
GC Smith 56* (178b 4x4) JH Kallis 10* (30b 1x4)

Looks like the rain threat has eased off!!

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Congratulations to SA on drawing the first Test.

The gap of only two days to the second Test makes it hard for both Teams, although SA have an advantage in having been off the field for this the final day of Test 1.

Murali's lean patch continues!! This must cause serious concern for SL.

Gibbs return to SA must be at the expense of Klusener. The selection of Nel at the expense of a batsmen (Van Jaarsveld) would depend on whether SA are keen to push for a win in Colombo or happy to settle for another draw.

Last edited:

Andre

International Regular
JASON said:
Congratulations to SA on drawing the first Test.

The gap of only two days to the second Test makes it hard for both Teams, although SA have an advantage in having been off the field for this the final day of Test 1.

Murali's lean patch continues!! This must cause serious concern for SL.

Gibbs return to SA must be at the expense of Klusener. The selection of Nel at the expense of a batsmen (Van Jaarsveld) would depend on whether SA are keen to push for a win in Colombo or happy to settle for another draw.
I wouldn't congratulate them at all. They didn't even try to win the match.

Van Jaarsveld won't be dropped - Dippenaar will be first to go.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Andre said:
I wouldn't congratulate them at all. They didn't even try to win the match.
They achieved what they set out to from the outset of this Test, ie. secure a draw.

Having not played for two months and lack of a quality spinner (plus Smith down with the wog) meant they had to play for a draw and they achieved it without any difficulty, in fact had they played slightly more positively they could have been victorious.

But at the start of this Test they set out to achieve a draw and they have done just that.

They may do the same for the next Test too!!