• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** South Africa in India Thread

Langeveldt

Soutie
EnglishRose said:
What's the South African gameplan ? Bat until there's absolutely no possibility of India winning....... ???

This is the 2nd second day and South Africa have scored roughly the same number of runs as on the first.....top stuff boys !!
Uhuh, because they are in such a good position to come out all guns blazing on subcontinental wickets arent they? Nothing wrong with safety first, they could have been all out ages ago if they had been more aggresive.. And you'd probably be the first person to say "Should have been more careful"..
Anyway, shouldn't the Indians be trying to bowl them out instead of having Kartik bowling a negative line?

Good on ya, Andrew, top guy and a patient and well deserved test century..

twctopcat

International Regular
Always thought he was a quality player after seeing that knock. Why hasn't he featured more recently?

maxpower

U19 Cricketer
EnglishRose said:
What's the South African gameplan ? Bat until there's absolutely no possibility of India winning....... ???

This is the 2nd second day and South Africa have scored roughly the same number of runs as on the first.....top stuff boys !!
SA gameplan is to be patient and wait for IND to make mistakes. So far it looks good as IND will be pressured to score faster.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
twctopcat said:
Always thought he was a quality player after seeing that knock. Why hasn't he featured more recently?
Well he had a couple of disciplinary problems a little while back when he was suspended for a couple of Tests. Not sure about otherwise.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The debutant Zander de Bruyn looked extremely impressive to me. Solid technique, excellent temperament and seemingly a cool customer. Could probably have smile a bit more after getting his half-century though, but I guess that's the desire for more dictating.

DocHead

School Boy/Girl Captain
Yeehaw! All hail Andrew Hall! What a brilliant performance, and even though I was rooting for Hashim to play, ZdB has really come to the party.

I woke up yesterday morning and saw Hall batting and was mortified. "Surely we can't be 5 down already?" but then I saw he was opening and I was a bit shocked.

It's too early to say, but maybe Hall can open with Smith, and Gibbs can move down the order, which would really be a better spot for him.

Come on SA!

TendulkarFan

School Boy/Girl Captain
SA came in as huge underdogs so they wanted to go with the safety first approach which they are doing extremely well. Very well batted I must say.

Indians, on the other hands, are not doing anything different, weird or shocking to ruffle the SA gameplan. Could Ganguly be anymore unimaginative? Watching the Indian team go through the motions while the SAFs crawl through their innings really makes me want to puke.

The last 2 days have been a huge reminder for why I love Australia so much. All the fans owe them big for turning the game around so drastically from the boring slow games like the one developing between India-SA right now.

viktor

State Vice-Captain
TendulkarFan said:
Indians, on the other hands, are not doing anything different, weird or shocking to ruffle the SA gameplan.
May be Ganguly could do a strip tease to see if that helps :p
About the match, SAf were always going to try and make sure they don't lose. The onus was on India to win. So far they have failed miserably. I didn't see the 2nd day but read that the Indians also resorted to defensive bowling. Kartik justified this by saying that ZdB wasa going after the bowling and they wanted to staunch the run flow. IMO that is reflective of the defensive mind set India has. If the pitch wasn't doing anything, they could have tried to use this aggresion to their advantage, tempt the guy into an irresponsible shot.

TendulkarFan

School Boy/Girl Captain
viktor said:
May be Ganguly could do a strip tease to see if that helps :p
That will make me question the intention of the plan - is it there to beat the SAFs or is it there to disgust the spectators out of ever watching the game of cricket again in their lifetime :)

viktor

State Vice-Captain
It sure would be shocking though, wouldn't it?? It will put most viewers off cricket for ever, I agree.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
indian chances of winning have all but evaporated.....what they need to do now is take a leaf out of the s.a book and play safe and make sure they go into the 2nd test 0-0 and not 0-1....

Langeveldt

Soutie
Great post... The bad stuff eminating from Australias powerful test cricket is that it has made proper defense a sort of taboo.. Not all teams are capable of "entertaining" everyone all the time, and they shouldn't have to..

Go and watch some of your Twenty20 if you don't like good tough test cricket..

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
TendulkarFan said:
The last 2 days have been a huge reminder for why I love Australia so much. All the fans owe them big for turning the game around so drastically from the boring slow games like the one developing between India-SA right now.
Well, I don't think it can be solely the fault of SA - over 180 overs and only 7 wickets suggests that the bowling isn't of the required standard.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Mister Wright said:
Didn't hall get left stranded on 99* against England? Or did he get out for 99?
IIRC he played an awesome knock on the Sunday morning (a feat which Freddie then copied in the vewry next match) - and after putting on over 50 for the last wicket, his partner was bowled all over the shop attempting to hit the ball into the North Sea.

Hall then walked off laughing - the attitude which immediately made me like him as a person.

tooextracool

International Coach
Langeveldt said:
Uhuh, because they are in such a good position to come out all guns blazing on subcontinental wickets arent they? Nothing wrong with safety first, they could have been all out ages ago if they had been more aggresive.. And you'd probably be the first person to say "Should have been more careful"..
Anyway, shouldn't the Indians be trying to bowl them out instead of having Kartik bowling a negative line?

Good on ya, Andrew, top guy and a patient and well deserved test century..
im sorry but thats the stupidest gameplan ive ever seen. i dont see any point of playing slowly on a dead pitch.they are doing precisely what they did in SL which is playing for a draw on a wicket in which they might have a chance and then being absolutely destroyed on a turner.
as slim as their chances of winning are, they were already in a safe position after day 1. out bat india now, before they come across a turner at eden gardens because with peterson, im not so sure they have any chance of competing with the ball.....

TendulkarFan

School Boy/Girl Captain
Langeveldt said:
Great post... The bad stuff eminating from Australias powerful test cricket is that it has made proper defense a sort of taboo.. Not all teams are capable of "entertaining" everyone all the time, and they shouldn't have to..

Go and watch some of your Twenty20 if you don't like good tough test cricket..
Whoever said anything about entertainment?

Seems to me you are confusing playing-to-win with entertainment. SA is clearly playing for a draw, as early as the second day of the test match. That's pathetic.

Are you telling me that you would still be an ardent follower of test match cricket if every team batted for a draw on the first two days of a test match? If you are, then you are definitely in minority. And yes, if that happens, I will gladly give up cricket and follow another sport until athletes learned that they play the sport to win, not to merely survive.

TendulkarFan

School Boy/Girl Captain
marc71178 said:
Well, I don't think it can be solely the fault of SA - over 180 overs and only 7 wickets suggests that the bowling isn't of the required standard.
Whoever put the sole blame on SA? If you cared to read some of my posts on Indian team in the past 2 days, you would know that I think they are playing some pathetic cricket these days as well.

The bowling has not been up to snuff, but neither has batting. Towards latter part of the day yesterday, they were both in survival-only mode despite SA having 400+ on the board. Nobody wanted to take the initiative, which is where Australia is a god's gift to cricket fans. They play to win; not to merely survive which makes the game a hell of a lot more interesting.

JustTool

State 12th Man
Based on Murali Karthik's comments below I must say, as someone who has supported him in the past, he has become as stupid as his captain Ganguly. How can the hosts be complaining about the pitch ? This is how sorry the state of Indian cricket is....amazing. I think Indian circket in general, and the team in particular, needs a thorough overhaul :wacko:

South Africans keen for a draw: Karthik

[TIMES NEWS NETWORK ]

KANPUR, Nov 21: Murali Karthik was given the opportunity after the second day's play to face the media on behalf of the Indian team. Straightaway he was queried about the pitch, and he did not try to hide his disappointment with it.

"It lacks the pace and bounce for the edges and bat-pads to carry to the fielder. The pitch is too lifeless.

"As a bowler you want the track to have more carry and zip, which is not there. The few people who saw the pitch said it is a good one for batting. The ball may turn slowly at a later stage.

"We will also bat well on this track. We have the batsmen to do well," he said.

He also lashed out at the opponents saying they look keen to just draw the match. "They have shown no intent to accelerate the scoring. Probably they would be happy with a draw."

He denied that India too had adopted negative tactics, bowling on the rough outside the leg-stump and with not many fielders in catching positions.

"Maybe towards the end of the second day we were a bit defensive. But we had catchers in place always. From time to time one needs to change tactics, thus we bowled in the rough. We did manage to get Hall out behind his pads."

On the ideal type of pitch, he said that it should have bounce and zip. "It many not be a big turner, but the edges should carry to the fielders. Anyhow types of pitches is debatable, but it should give equal opportunity to the batsmen and the bowlers."

He said that the Indian batsmen will also show the same resolve in tackling the South African bowling, despite being under pressure of big score.