• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** South Africa in India Thread

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
honestbharani said:
This pitch at Green Park reminds of the pitch at Motera when India played New Zealand last year. It has turn, it has bounce, it even has variable bounce, but it all happens so slowly that if a batsmen is only looking to defend, he can do that rather easily, without any trouble.

Still stand by that statement. And that is why I think this was an excellent performance by the Indian openers. And to someone who was talking about Kartik being wrong, he was not. He never said he was happy with the Mumbai wicket. He was the one who said that there was no such thing as an ideal wicket. And I don't think he is being inconsistent with his views when he says that this wicket was too slow to be of any help to the bowlers. Hard to see SA winning here. 5% chance of India winning. 95% chance of a draw.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Scaly piscine said:
According to CEEFAX Tsolekile missed a catch immediately after he missed a stumping, was the missed catch a bad one? If so it looks like SA could have unearthed a Parthiv Patel minus some batting skill...
Nope. It was down leg side off a slight edge from Gambhir, a very very very tough chance. The commentators didn't even know Gambhir hit it, and thought it was going as leg byes. I would call it half a chance.

The stumping was the simple chance which should have been taken.

twctopcat

International Regular
Think theyre could definitely be a result here. If india bat for a day and a half, set 700ish then they could easily skittle the SA on a worn track, unless Hall etc produce the goods again, but a 4th/5th day track it ain't so easy. Can just see a run fest here for the indians unless Pollock does something special.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
twctopcat said:
Think theyre could definitely be a result here. If india bat for a day and a half, set 700ish then they could easily skittle the SA on a worn track, unless Hall etc produce the goods again, but a 4th/5th day track it ain't so easy. Can just see a run fest here for the indians unless Pollock does something special.

I'm sure that's in their minds now. I think india will need to score about 400 tomorrow to set it up, followed by a quick thrash on the final morning. Am I right in thinking there are some extra overs to be bowled to make up for this morning?

tooextracool

International Coach
i find it hard to believe that so many people think that gambhir is already the real deal, we all know how many players india has had in the past that have failed miserably away from home and we all know that this is just about as dead a track as we'll ever see. dont get your hopes up too early.....

DocHead

School Boy/Girl Captain
Wha? What the hell is going on? Bowl them out, don't play them back into the game. Geez, it's lucky they got 500. I hope the pitch starts breaking up soon, nothing like Sehwag getting a 140kph ball squatting off a length thundering into his stumps to put the fear back into the batsmen.

You should change my title to eternal optimist.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Scaly piscine said:
According to CEEFAX Tsolekile missed a catch immediately after he missed a stumping, was the missed catch a bad one? If so it looks like SA could have unearthed a Parthiv Patel minus some batting skill...
Far too soon to even suggest that. The man has just debuted! At least let him miss a handful before attaching a stigma to his 'keeping.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Top knock by Sehwag and a pretty good hand by Gambhir. Andrew Hall and Makhaya Ntini impressed me with their effort late in the day, flat track and all. I agree with Michael Slater though. Perhaps Ntini should change it up by banging it in short and seeing how the batsmen and the pitch react. Also a good yorker or two would be quite effective.

India have the best chance of winning this match IMO, but it's seemingly well on its way to a draw.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
tooextracool said:
i find it hard to believe that so many people think that gambhir is already the real deal, we all know how many players india has had in the past that have failed miserably away from home and we all know that this is just about as dead a track as we'll ever see. dont get your hopes up too early.....
Everyone is just happy for him, and has said they hope (key word here hope) that he has a good career ahead of him as opener.

Indian pessism and optimism is apparently both a no-no on this board.

masterblaster

International Captain
Jono said:
Everyone is just happy for him, and has said they hope (key word here hope) that he has a good career ahead of him as opener.

Indian pessism and optimism is apparently both a no-no on this board.
Well said.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
One thing about Gambhir that I am really impressed about is his running between the wickets. It was something that Chopra and Sehwag were good at and it is good that Gambhir and Sehwag also continue that.

EnglishRose

School Boy/Girl Captain
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Perhaps Ntini should change it up by banging it in short and seeing how the batsmen and the pitch react. Also a good yorker or two would be quite effective.
Ntini tried that -- and got duly dispatched.

As Dileep Premachandran pointed out in his Wisden article, Ntini is a pretty average bowler away from the high veldt.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Looks like Indian top order batsmen are taking to Gavaskars advise "Give the first hour or two to the bowlers (meaning keep crawling) and then the rest of the day is yours" It seems to be the mantra which is leading them again and again to disaster since Sunil was called in by Saurav by an urgent message.

The only times, Indian batsmen have refused to abide by the OLD and OBSOLETE little masters mantra, they have put up a reasonable to good show - Gambhir in this knock, Laxman and Sachin at Mumbai and Sehwag all the time.

Dravids batting so far at Kanpur is pathetic. 15 in 74 balls on a wicket, dead as a Dodo !!

PS : GREAT !! Its now 17 in 92 balls.The skipper and his deputy have 'hammered' 10 runs in 9.3 overs so far starting from the preacarious position of 298 for 3 wickets !!!

Last edited:

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
IF another wicket falls, the next batsman has to start scoring in big shots. And a lot of you are right about one thing- what's the point in playing out 170 balls for just 50? They have a VERY good start backing them, so there's no need to play so negatively!

Hmmm...Little Master's conservative approach...next time, they should have Sidhu or Kapil Dev as a batting consultant.