• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** South Africa in India Thread

Legglancer

State Regular
Captain's harem on tour by Neil Manthorp

Posted on 24 November 2004 - 14:15

Most of India has now been informed that Graeme Smith's parents are on tour and both Graham and Janet have been interviewed at least half a dozen times.
To get live scores from the cricket sent to your cell phone, send CSA to 33003. This is a SuperSMS service, with each SMS costing R1.50.

But most of the country is still trying to digest the news that the South Africa captain is also travelling with his wife and two girlfriends.

The normally reputable Times of India carried a large photograph of Smith junior in conversation with a brunette by the name of Shardi Avnit and she was captioned as Smith's "girlfriend."

In an interview with Smith senior alongside the photograph Graham explained that Avnit was "just a friend" but the journalist writing the story applied a little 'nudge-nudge, wink-wink' interpretation to the comment and Avnit, who is in fact a member of Smith's management team, was duly announced as his girlfriend.

The following day the same newspaper published a photograph of Smith with Minki van der Westhuizen and, once again, captioned the picture "Graeme Smith and girlfriend..."

All the captain's philandering was obviously too much for the Times of India's rival publication, The Hindustan Times, who managed to get everything wrong on the final day of the Test when they published another picture of Avnit under the caption: "Smith's wife, Cindy Smith."

Graeme and Minki and Jacques Kallis and his fiancee, Cindy Nell, have understandably received the most attention from the 'tabloid' sections of local newspapers but they are not the only ones to have been surprised.

The Kanpur Times featured a collage of paparrazzi pictures on the last day including snaps of the two men who write columns on this website. They are, of course, Mike Hayshawn and Niel Manthozp.

JustTool

State 12th Man
tooextracool said:
they have certainly won more than a few games here and there, they've won 10 out of their last 11 games!
And, prior to this last series, India was the only team to have won a Test series against Australia and draw them in their own home series. And they would have drwan again if it hadn't been for the rain in Chennai.

I will bet anything you want that England will lose to Australia - and lose big. You up for it :)

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
tooextracool said:
really? i mean not long ago there were many many people talking about how brilliant ganguly's captaincy was and now people want him sacked cause hes incompetent.
Are they the same people? Oh no they're just that pack of Indian fans. Ever heard of individuality? Like I said, just because some do, doesn't make it so for the others.

tooextracool

International Coach
JustTool said:
And, prior to this last series, India was the only team to have won a Test series against Australia
and also amongst the few teams to not be able to beat zimbabwe in zimbabwe.....
please everyone knows that one must look at performances against everyone in the world rather than just one team.

JustTool said:
and draw them in their own home series. And they would have drwan again if it hadn't been for the rain in Chennai.
the 2nd statement is simply ludicrous, really doesnt deserve a reply. its about as stupid as saying that if the last ashes was a 9 match series england would have won.
as far as the drawn home series is concerned, it has been said 10000000000 times that australia had a 2nd string bowling attack, and i think they've just shown how much of a difference that makes to their side in the recent series.

JustTool said:
I will bet anything you want that England will lose to Australia - and lose big. You up for it :)
no because i agree with you, i wouldnt go on to guarantee it though. but obviously at the moment australia are far ahead of england just like they are of every other team.
which is all besides the point, you seem to misrepresent the facts, when i show you to be wrong, you jump out into an ind-eng comparison that was never called for.

tooextracool

International Coach
Jono said:
Are they the same people? Oh no they're just that pack of Indian fans. Ever heard of individuality? Like I said, just because some do, doesn't make it so for the others.
did i say it was? or did i say they were the same people?
im simply saying how extreme most of the indian fans on the forum are, in that they either think that someone is no 1 or the worst player to ever grace the game without realising that there is something in between.

JustTool

State 12th Man
tooextracool said:
and also amongst the few teams to not be able to beat zimbabwe in zimbabwe.....
please everyone knows that one must look at performances against everyone in the world rather than just one team.

the 2nd statement is simply ludicrous, really doesnt deserve a reply. its about as stupid as saying that if the last ashes was a 9 match series england would have won.
as far as the drawn home series is concerned, it has been said 10000000000 times that australia had a 2nd string bowling attack, and i think they've just shown how much of a difference that makes to their side in the recent series.

no because i agree with you, i wouldnt go on to guarantee it though. but obviously at the moment australia are far ahead of england just like they are of every other team.
which is all besides the point, you seem to misrepresent the facts, when i show you to be wrong, you jump out into an ind-eng comparison that was never called for.
So, other than not being able to acknowledge that India has played excellent cricket in the past few years, you have no point, no opinions and stand for nothing :wacko:

Scallywag

Banned
JustTool said:
So, other than not being able to acknowledge that India has played excellent cricket in the past few years, you have no point, no opinions and stand for nothing :wacko:
Get over it, some people cant even accept the umpires decision. :D

tooextracool

International Coach
JustTool said:
what the hell are you talking about?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Foot rang over by a car? That's damn unlucky. Some bad news for South Africa. If Smith doesn't take the field, Dipenaar will captain I guess.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Why do the selectors specifcally pick players whom they can keep on the bench all the time? Gagandeep Singh is playing well enough for a place in the fielding XI, and should be included ahead of Nehra, and keeping him in the fourteen will keep Zaheer on his toes, so that he performs well enough to stay in the XI. That's what may have happened for Gautam Gambhir, with the in-form Kaif on the bench. As for Nehra, he needs to return to Delhi and regain wicket-taking form and take wickets consistently if he should get back in the Indian side.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
JustTool said:
So when is this so called excellent Cricket going to translate into results then?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Second ball actually ;)

What a bad ball to get out too. Oh well, I guess Smith's foot can have some rest now. :D

Slow Love™

International Captain
Weird... Cricinfo records Smith as having faced two balls... Maybe it's a mistake.

Pathan's not too shabby at getting those first over wickets, is he?