• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in England

Should Freddy be included in team for the second Test?

• Total voters

Laurrz

International Debutant
Cook doesn't look too clever on the odd occasions when the bowlers get it right
AWTA

Kallis seems like the type of bowler that will trouble him imo o Morkel even with the height.. a bit like Clark or Sammy.. just that back of a length and the right line really does trouble him a lot..

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Just looked at Strauss's figures so far, playing it safe I see. He'd never get an IPL gig :ph34r:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Wish people would talk more about 1981 and 1980 than 1984 as far as West Indian attacks are concerned.

Even though Marshall wasn't yet a first-choice, that was probably the strongest attack they had.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Nah anyone with any sense would have fielded IMO. I hate the way captains are jumped on for fielding unless it pays-off instantly. An unsuccessful decision is not necessarily a bad one. It's the bowlers who've failed to do the job, not the captain.
Boycott on TMS (and others) dont agree with you

JoeShmoe

Cricket Spectator
The saffies are bowling short, not letting it swing late. Where Sidey and Jimmy have done well lately is pitching it up and trying to get them to drive in the V

Eng scoring a lot backward of square

JoeShmoe

Cricket Spectator
Cook is being allowed to play himself back into a bit of form here .. his foot movement has been poor this summer but the longer he stays there ....

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Boycott on TMS (and others) dont agree with you
Holding just seemed plain pissed off by the comparison, although I expected more of a rant from him. However, his style has sort of become a silent bitterness these days.

12 ribs and a can of sweetcorn and sitting in front of the Test match - is there anything better?

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
Holding just seemed plain pissed off by the comparison, although I expected more of a rant from him. However, his style has sort of become a silent bitterness these days.

12 ribs and a can of sweetcorn and sitting in front of the Test match - is there anything better?
working for EMI and finding stuff like this under emails : ''P Save a tree...please don't print this e-mail unless you really need to''

kuddo's Emi for thinking ofthe world

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Not entirely related to todays play considering Ntini's poor form so far but interesting how Ntini and Chris Martin are both successful against left handers with wide of the crease, open chested actions which means that they push the ball across the right hander rather than bowl it across with the entire body.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Oigah! Steyn's bouncer has always been quite slippery but what the hell was Strauss doing.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Seriously, I'd like to see someone tell me - before the toss, any fool can use hindsight - that batting first was the obvious decision.
You know Geoff Boycott though, @if you win the toss bat. If you're not sure, think about it, and then bat.@

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
How can they now tell you something before what has already happened? :blink:
What I mean is I won't take anyone seriously if they're saying a decision was bad with hindsight.

If Boycott had clearly stated as the toss was happening, before any play had been played, that he believed the winning captain should have batted first, then I'd be able to take him seriously. If he did, well done to him - in the end I suppose he (or anyone who said such a thing) would have been right, as even despite the fact SA's bowlers have been far too wide, there's been little swing and no more than normal in the way of seam.

But if someone is only saying afterwards, as I say - that's use of hindsight and no more.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Aye, and that's an outdated mantra. Based in the days of covered wickets.
Why is it outdated? There may be reasons why it was more relevant but there is a weight of evidence to suggest it still holds true.

Basically batting allows you to dictate the game. There are countless other reasons that I guess Ill get dragged into if you go into why bowling first often is a good idea.

open365

International Vice-Captain
Decent session for England here, neither Strauss or Cook look entirely comfortable yet but there haven't been too many alarms either. Pitch is a bit dull as well, but SA's attack has been mightily disapointing thus far, far too many wide and short deliveries that aren't at all threatening, especialy to the steadfast Strauss.