• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in England

Should Freddy be included in team for the second Test?

• Total voters

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
By "out-and-out poor" you mean "hit for four", right? Would say myself that anything wide enough for the batsman to leave in complete certainty is a poor ball. And from what I'm reading, there's a hell of a lot of them.
Wide enough to leave is less poor than wide enough (and of sufficient length) to smash off the back-foot for four.

As has been said more times than can possibly be recited this morning, the bowling has been far too wide, which is poor, but it's still better than going round the park.

Morkel's 2nd no-ball.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Poor bowling, but nothing disastrous. After all the build up it's hard to imagine a less eventful hour of cricket.

Woodster

International Captain
Hi guys, only just returned from holiday and not had a chance to read previous posts in this thread so sorry if I'm repeating previous comments.

Really excited by this series, and looking forward to a full dyas play, weather permitting.
South Africa's bowling attack obviously arrives with recent high praise, it looks a threatening pace attack (despite being a little wide this morning), but which bowler will Smith turn to to offer them control should a player like Pietersen or any of the top six get in full swing ? Will Kallis' bowling be more used than what you might possibly think ?

Every nation has that sort of bowler that can help apply pressure if the wickets are not coming, but in Steyn, Morkel, Ntini, Kallis and Harris they look a little short in this area, providing England are proactive against the spin and of course SA may not need this style of bowler should they rip through Englands line-up.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Haha, he's only 73.

Guess I'm mixing his DOB up with Tom Graveney.
Yeah, a lot of us do that. :happy:

Anyway, surprisingly little comment so far about Smith's decision to insert England. Of course, we could very easily collapse at any point, and maybe he was worried about what SB would do in these conditions, but it isn't looking the best call right now.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Solid start it seems. Hate missing the first session of a Test yet I always do when we're at home :(

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yeah, a lot of us do that. :happy:

Anyway, surprisingly little comment so far about Smith's decision to insert England. Of course, we could very easily collapse at any point, and maybe he was worried about what SB would do in these conditions, but it isn't looking the best call right now.
Nah anyone with any sense would have fielded IMO. I hate the way captains are jumped on for fielding unless it pays-off instantly. An unsuccessful decision is not necessarily a bad one. It's the bowlers who've failed to do the job, not the captain.

BTW looks like Kallis' seam-position might not have been as good as usual, for whatever reason. :huh:

JoeShmoe

Cricket Spectator
Nah anyone with any sense would have fielded IMO. I hate the way captains are jumped on for fielding unless it pays-off instantly. An unsuccessful decision is not necessarily a bad one. It's the bowlers who've failed to do the job, not the captain.

BTW looks like Kallis' seam-position might not have been as good as usual, for whatever reason. :huh:
England have quite often gone from 70 odd for 0 to 275 all out in the last 2 years

Laurrz

International Debutant
Decent start, shame i cant watch as there are no streaming links strangely

Carn Poms, sick of RSA 'targetting' everything..

sorry ignorance, but what happen to Steyn?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Cook doesn't look too clever on the odd occasions when the bowlers get it right
Not surprising - you'd not expect him to with how poor his technique is currently.

Finally some swing for Jacques. Steyn HAS to come back on ASAP.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah he normally bowls the opening over these days, and did - but for some reason only got 3 overs.

I mean, yeah, he was poor, so take him off - but bring him back sooner than the 20th over!
Ah right, I see. I have only been able to follow since 12.

If we are wicketless at lunch I shall be very, very, happy.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Hasn't been looking too clever all that much this year actually
Since longer than that. Truth be told, since The Ashes 2006/07 flaws in his game have been obvious, and the only team not to exploit that was the abysmal West Indies (who didn't bowl before the opening Test).