• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in England

Should Freddy be included in team for the second Test?

• Total voters

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I know that everyone has already had their say, but the selection of Pattinson was absolutely ****ing insane. It's like something out of the 90s.
Nah, no way. Like something out of the '80s more like. That was when selection chaos reigned supreme.

Raymond Illingworth may have been a shocking man-manager, but he was damn good at knowing who could play and who couldn't.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Doing Fred a disservice IMO. Averages around 32-33, even accounting for his youth when he was ****, he may be in bad form with the bat but he is a Test match seven I reckon. I know you aren't the only one to think this, so expecting some kind of backlash here :p
Yeah, fair enough. I should've added "on current form" as a rider I suppose.

Ambrose not a six tho, think we can all agree on that. Don't think he's middled one this summer so far.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Fred is a good number 7 IMO.

If England had a keeper/bat batting below him then that is crazy depth and a massive strength.

But as said, on curent form he is no Jimmy

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Tailenders battling it out and trying to eke-out as many runs as possible is part of the game, but it's only terribly important later on. In the first-innings of the game, I generally find it very boring.
I agree.

It all depends on the way the tailender bats. Harmison, Mullally, Malcolm, Murali, and Mushtaq are the sort of tailenders I enjoy watching. They basically can't bat but they don't waste our time proving the fact. They give it a big swing and hope for the best. When it comes off, it can be great fun and it can have an influence on the game.

The one good thing about Hoggard's non-selection is that we don't have to endure his batting. Hideous prodding misery enlivened only by the odd miserable nurdle. This is batting without any merit and he was the only England batsman I was ever happy to see being dismissed.

The one exception is, as Richard points out, at the end of a game, when, very occasionally, a grim bit of tenacity from a tailender can save or even win a game. Sometimes they can even decide the course of a Test series:

- Hoggy (with Giles) at Trent Bridge 2005 v Aus;

- Gough and Fraser (with Cork and Giles) at OT 1998 v SA;

- Ambrose and Walsh (with Lara) at Bridgetown 1999 v Aus.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It's always really disappointing to see someone do something where the only conclusion that can be come to is that they were attempting to cheat.

Well, except when it's an Andrew Symonds, obviously. Then it's just "oh well, I expected that".

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Expect ABDV to get a hard time out on the field now tbh. Looking forwards to today's play, weather anyone?

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's always really disappointing to see someone do something where the only conclusion that can be come to is that they were attempting to cheat.

Well, except when it's an Andrew Symonds, obviously. Then it's just "oh well, I expected that".
Err, excuse me? How exactly did Symonds cheat? The tag fits far more tightly around the neck of Mick Clarke.

As for England; the selectors have lost the plot. As has been said, picking Flintoff to bat at 7 weakens the line-up by a pretty significant amount (as was shown with being bowled out for just over 200 on day 1) and the increase in bowling is cancelled out and then some by picking Pattinson (what did he have to do to get a Test?). When there's Harmison, Tremlett, Hoggard and co. available, wow @ picking Pattinson.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
At 2.08 on the clip you see him turn to gully and say "I wasn't sure". Well he acted pretty sure when he claimed the catch didn't he?
I'm with His Honour Mr Justice Zaremba on this one - guilty as charged

Is this still a capital offence your honour?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Err, excuse me? How exactly did Symonds cheat?
Don't think he ever has - just saying he strikes me as an undesireable character and doesn't seem to care much for the spirit of cricket so I'd not be surprised if he ever tried to cheat.
The tag fits far more tightly around the neck of Mick Clarke.
Indeed, and that disappoints me too. I'd hold him in high regard but for that.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah, looks like play will kick off on time. We need two wickets in the first session. Got to look at having them all out for under 300 by tea if we are to stay in this match.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
That Amla catch really is annoying. Looks like Amla and Bowden both had little doubt the thing had carried.

And let's emphasise - these two had a better view than anyone viewing TV pictures. It's sheer madness that TV pictures should be allowed to have the final say. It should always be the other way around.

stumpski

International Captain
Isn't it normal for the covers to be on 20 minutes before the start of play, though? No-one's said anything about rain, they're talking about yesterday's disputed 'catches.'

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Not 20 minutes before, surely?

I'm pretty sure they weren't on when coverage started.

BTW don't judge too much by the Broad interview here - it's not live. :p