• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Pro-Wrestling Thread II

Aritro

International Regular
All Out was incredible. Ospreay vs Pac and Willow vs Statlander back to back - both sensational wrestling matches with MOTY claims. I liked everything other than that brutal Swerve vs Hangman reprise with cinder block power bombs and staple guns and then finally a Swerve getting jabbed in the mouth with a medical needle. Not what I watch wrestling for.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Not a fan of refs and announcers going into business for themselves these days but they seem to have the promoters' blessings. Samantha Irwin and that one lady ref in AEW in particular are way OTT and distracting more than anything else.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
The use of needles in the Swerve/Hangman match was a hard tap out from me. Not up for that kind of thing at all. The plastic bag suffocation spot in the Danielson match was also pretty gross. Increasingly finding AEW difficult to get behind tbh.

Red_Ink_Squid

Global Moderator
The use of needles in the Swerve/Hangman match was a hard tap out from me. Not up for that kind of thing at all. The plastic bag suffocation spot in the Danielson match was also pretty gross. Increasingly finding AEW difficult to get behind tbh.
I get on with AEW by cherry picking liberally what to watch from them (which TBF is same as I've done with WWE for years). They put on stuff I think is great (e.g. the All In main event a couple of weeks ago) but also a lot of stuff I'm either not interested in or would actively avoid (e.g. the All Out main event).

To be fair, OTT violence was pretty much what that Swerve/Hangman match was marketed as, so I guess it delivered what it promised for the fans who wanted that. It's just not what I wanna see so I avoided it (and will avoid even harder for having heard needles are involved...)

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I get on with AEW by cherry picking liberally what to watch from them (which TBF is same as I've done with WWE for years). They put on stuff I think is great (e.g. the All In main event a couple of weeks ago) but also a lot of stuff I'm either not interested in or would actively avoid (e.g. the All Out main event).

To be fair, OTT violence was pretty much what that Swerve/Hangman match was marketed as, so I guess it delivered what it promised for the fans who wanted that. It's just not what I wanna see so I avoided it (and will avoid even harder for having heard needles are involved...)
To me, if one imagines visiting a teenage nephew who enthusiastically wants to show you all the "best bits" (i.e., the "most explodi-est") from his collection of Michael Bay films, AEW's booking feels a bit like that these days. My interest has really tailed off over the last year or so.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Think what Roman (and Heyman) said on the recent intie with Bloomberg made a lot of sense. He said he enjoys working within the PG paradigm far more because it forces him to be conscious of his presentation at all times, the goal ultimately being appealing to the widest possible audience. It's funny because as a teenager in the 90s I was all about the realism that ECW and the Attitude Era were innovating but as a crusty older dude now I'm much more at home with the happy medium WWE have struck over the last few years.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I think it also forces people to actually work harder on their character, storytelling and psychology tbh (i.e., git gd at becoming a pro-wrestler rather than relying on cheap tricks). Use of shock, blood, and/or other aspects of garbage wrestling can be ok if used sparingly imo (though as above, needles, paper cuts, and glass and other nasty **** like that are a hard "no" from me). But AEW relies on them almost weekly, and it just feels very carny.

It's ironic that MJF, who both in and out of kayfabe (correctly) says that this sort of thing is beneath him because he's good enough to get over without it, is of course an AEW mainstay.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Also, people **** on the PG era of WWE, but it's actually one of the most underrated periods in WWE history imo. Granted there has been a lot of dross in that time, especially weekly TVs (but all WWE eras have had their share of woeful content). But it's also been home to some of the best WWE programmes/matches/angles of all time. E.g., Jericho vs HBK, HBK vs Undertaker, Cena vs Punk, Bryan vs Evolution, and all of the more recent Bloodline stuff.