• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Pakistan in New Zealand 2017/18

Athlai

Not Terrible
Didn't watch Pakistan bat but the bowling was pretty good. Looks like this will be a better contest than an abysmal West Indies

oblongballs

U19 Debutant
This match was basically an appetiser. Guptill was scratching his way into form, Monro is obviously in form, as if Kane and expect something big from Taylor down the line. All the while, Pak's bowlers look to be firing up and will only get more consistent, plus Ali impressed me, because I did not think this would be his venue but it turned that he can bowl well anywhere in this form. The hitters in their side did a job too and Azam is likely to come into form (Wasn't his lbw a bit high?).

Should be a lot of fun if the weather holds up.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Azam was not out but Azhar wasted the review
He did waste it, hell of a poor review when you only have one. Anyone with any nous knows it has to feel completely not out to generally not be clipping, and that was always close.

But the second lbw was a horrendous decision. It was never close. Piss poor umpiring too, even the way he gave it made it look like he got carried away in the moment.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Anyway, great win. Stoked to see Kane convert and battle through some early scratchiness. Manu scoring runs v a strong attack, Hairy Nips finishing off well and Tim Southee looking like an intelligent, experienced cricketer :-O

oblongballs

U19 Debutant
Certainly a good win for NZ but Pak were just about mounting a come back. Having said that, there is a big omission from the Pak side and that is another spinner. Maybe drop Hafeez (why is he still playing) and bring in that leftie they have in the squad.

As for NZ, I have a question, is that Nathan Astle's son?

veganbob

U19 Captain
Certainly a good win for NZ but Pak were just about mounting a come back. Having said that, there is a big omission from the Pak side and that is another spinner. Maybe drop Hafeez (why is he still playing) and bring in that leftie they have in the squad.

As for NZ, I have a question, is that Nathan Astle's son?
Nathan astle would have had to make someone pregnant when he was 14 for todd to be his son.
They are not related

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Come on now, we all know Tom Blundell would get that call up.....
Why is Seifert's List A record so woeful though Howsie (averaging 22 to Chapman's 55 in roughly the same period in the same comp)? Not having a crack there, just what's been the main fault over the course of his career to date?

The dominant hockey-swiping bottom hand means he's just never really deft in his placement enough to find the sweet spot tempo for 50-over batting, meanwhile he'll happily rack up long strings of dots in FC cricket?

Maybe Seify's Hamilton upbringing helps him remain relatively unfazed by the boredom of racking up dots. I mean, Kelly (from Counties/Auckland) can't even do that for me in four-dayers. He's just consistently gone for a mindless low percentage cut or cover drive really early and nicked himself out, time and again.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Why is Seifert's List A record so woeful though Howsie (averaging 22 to Chapman's 55 in roughly the same period in the same comp)? Not having a crack there, just what's been the main fault over the course of his career to date?

The dominant hockey-swiping bottom hand means he's just never really deft in his placement enough to find the sweet spot tempo for 50-over batting, meanwhile he'll happily rack up long strings of dots in FC cricket?

Maybe Seify's Hamilton upbringing helps him remain relatively unfazed by the boredom of racking up dots. I mean, Kelly (from Counties/Auckland) can't even do that for me in four-dayers. He's just consistently gone for a mindless low percentage cut or cover drive really early and nicked himself out, time and again.
Yeah Seifert's just a bit boundary-reliant for OD cricket I think, in the same way someone like Michael Slater was. Such players often end up opening and hitting over the in-field, but it doesn't work out for everyone.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
He did waste it, hell of a poor review when you only have one. Anyone with any nous knows it has to feel completely not out to generally not be clipping, and that was always close.

But the second lbw was a horrendous decision. It was never close. Piss poor umpiring too, even the way he gave it made it look like he got carried away in the moment.
In Pakistan team culture, senior batsmen have more of a 'right' to use a review. Makes it worse when the senior batsman is the opener and gets to use it before everyone else.

oblongballs

U19 Debutant
Just found out Todd Astle is 31. I thought he'd be younger.

In terms of the matches, why are they scheduled so far apart? If they had this much time, they could have included a 2 test series.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Easily but don't think either board has a lot of time for Test cricket. As per the new FTP, Pakistan and New Zealand play the least number of tests.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Only seeing highlights for this (and the Windies T20s) which doesn't tell the full story, but it seems like Southee is bowling pretty good?

Firebreaker

Banned

Chapman has played for Hong Kong where he used to murder Associate bowlers

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
Chapman has played for Hong Kong where he used to murder Associate bowlers
Chapman also averaging 53 for Auckland in List A (from 14 games)
Averaged 55 for Hong Kong in 15 games.

Career LA average of 54.54

Seiffert averages 24.50 in the same comp.

But more contact for Kippax's question for Howsie.

Seiffert was poor early in his career.
Season by season List A record is tracking in right direction.
31 (current)

(I've ignored his record in his 2 games for NZ A, for the benefit of the squeamish) Ave 0.00.
Ironically iirc, I think Seiffert was NZ A's best batsman in India in the red ball games.

Last edited:

Athlai

Not Terrible
Dunno why everyones talking about people not named Blundell. He scored 100 on Test debut, he's going to get picked for everything

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
TV Comms seem quite enthusiastic of Blundell's 360 degree batting in the white ball stuff, I've noticed on a few occasions them mention this in televised games. I recall this as I'd had the impression he was quite technically traditional. I've not seen him enough in whiteball cricket to offer an opinion.

I was surprised to see his backlist and stance this season so Siddonsesque.

His career LA record is almost identical to Seiffert.

Personally, I'm happy for Latham to continue as middle order ODI player, as I want his woeful gapping to actually improve for the sake of his test game. Although I don't hold much hope for his slap-slice offside driving to ever involve much deliberate placement. But would be nice.