• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Pakistan and England in the UAE 2015/16

cnerd123

likes this
Yea fixed batting orders in general are kind of dumb. Even in Tests. I'd love to see sides be more flexible, and instead of picking batsmen for certain positions in the order, you pick them for particular 'roles'. New ball batting, old-ball batting, big hitting, crease occupation, etc.

Some sides would be better of sending out their lower-middle order batsmen after a huge opening partnership, and holding back their number 3/4 to counter the second new ball. But we rarely ever see that.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Yea fixed batting orders in general are kind of dumb. Even in Tests. I'd love to see sides be more flexible, and instead of picking batsmen for certain positions in the order, you pick them for particular 'roles'. New ball batting, old-ball batting, big hitting, crease occupation, etc.

Some sides would be better of sending out their lower-middle order batsmen after a huge opening partnership, and holding back their number 3/4 to counter the second new ball. But we rarely ever see that.
I used to think this way, but at the same time having stability and consistency when everyone has to bat is different to the back end of an ODI innings where your strike rotators just don't have to bat if the plan works.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Maybe not having a fixed batting order would help. Bring Jos in after ~30 overs, whether that be him at 3 or at 6.
Ya when I said no. 6, I meant that. Obviously if you lose your first or 2nd wicket in say 37th over you shouldn't wait for 2 more wickets to fall before bringing in Buttler.

cnerd123

likes this
I used to think this way, but at the same time having stability and consistency when everyone has to bat is different to the back end of an ODI innings where your strike rotators just don't have to bat if the plan works.
I think that it's fairly stable and consistent if players know their role within the flexible lineup and continuously play to that...but then again I'm not an Elite batsman play high level cricket so what the **** do I know about their thought processes. Would be nice to see a professional team -even at FC or Club level- give the concept a shot though.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Its like the old ICC "pick a third opener at #6" technique to counter the 2nd new ball, to a degree.

I think in an international dressing room it could be difficult to do when it comes to managing egos as well. I wouldn't mind seeing it being given a go, but sometimes weird things happen when you move players around (Clarke @ 4 vs. Clarke @ 5, for instance)

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

Yeah, plus we have heard from some test batsmen, like Sachin and Laxman, how they would rather always play at their preferred position.

Agreed for ODIs though, especially for a line-up which has multiple holding players in the middle order.

Cabinet96

Hall of Fame Member
Was listening to the cricket sadist hour the other day and they were talking about how fixed batting positions weren't always a thing. Though a lot of that had to do with sticky wickets back in the day.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Thought 170 was a bit of an ordinary score against the UAE but they're 38/4 after 8 overs so it's probably pretty kosher

Howe_zat

Audio File
There are two Abdul Shakoors playing, but rather than Abdul Shakoor(1) and Abdul Shakoor(2), they've been listed as Abdul Shakoor and Abdul Shakoor(1). Like he's been accidentally downloaded again.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Should be locking down the squad in this series that they want for the world t20 in India in March.

Finn and Stokes likely coming back into contention in addition to those in the current squad (England Twenty20 Squad | Pakistan v England T20I Series, 2015/16 | Cricket Squads | ESPN Cricinfo). Bopara would be the other guy who I'd like back in contention. Is a useful utility player to have who has experience in the conditions. T20 has been his best format for England and his bowling has been very useful.

Lions have a 5 match t20 series with Pakistan a starting in December. Squad here Vince to lead England Lions | England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) - The Official Website of the ECB. Tymal Mills and Ross Whiteley are probably the two longshots who have a glimmer. Extreme pace is the one thing England don't have and Mills had a really good t20 season where he bowled sharp and his slower ball foxed plenty of bats. Whiteley is as clean a hitter as there is in the English game and is an excellent fielder but this tournament may have come a little too early as 2015 was his first impressive season.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Hales, Roy, Vince, Morgan, Billings, Moeen, Rashid, Jordan, Plunkett, Parry Topley

Root, Buttler rested.

Vince and Billings get a go. Probably playing for one spot at the world t20.

Team probably one bat short.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Resting is pretty dire at the best of times but resting the 2nd choice players who had come in for the rested players is ****ing ridiculous

And there's no way Buttler doesn't want to play this game after having just hit form after months.

On top of all this I finally get to watch us bat and don't get to see Buttler.

Booo. Boo to you all