• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* NZ Domestic Season

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
There are a number of complicating issues as to why we don't get anything more than NZ games & also the Australian international season.

Firstly, how many people in NZ would get up to watch England v South Africa during the middle of the night?...you might get a decent amount, but Sky will claim the ratings won't justify the amount of money they're spending to get the rights.

Secondly, Sky Sport sets a budget for every sport...1st is Rugby then every other sport looks like David in comparison. Cricket does ok of course, but they can only cover the essential NZ home seasons & tours and also whoever Australia is playing at home(because the time difference is also ok & there is strong interest)

I wouldn't be surprised if they start showing coverage of matches played in India here soon. But I really think we're a long long way off gaining a cricket channel here.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
It's also fair to say that if a cricket channel started here...we wouldn't be paying $2 a week like the Rugby Channel. It would be more like $20.

shaka

International Regular
Tim said:
Firstly, how many people in NZ would get up to watch England v South Africa during the middle of the night?...you might get a decent amount, but Sky will claim the ratings won't justify the amount of money they're spending to get the rights.
Over recent years there has been a high number of immigrants from South Africa. I was wondering if it is possible to get it temporarily rather than a permanent channel. The other thing in favour of the channel is it is supposedly NZ's summer game.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
From what I can gather during a Martin Crowe interview...if we wanted to see any other cricket they'd have to start cutting the coverage we already see.

To justify showing live cricket coverage (e.g. Eng v S.A) for such a long period, then ratings would have to be at a reasonable level the entire match IMO..Sky obviously don't believe that would be the case.

shaka

International Regular
Maybe showing highlights, at the moment they do not show anything other than 30 seconds during the news.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Well the best thing you can do is email Sky or start collecting signatures. Because unless that happens, I can't see it happening in the near future.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
shaka said:
Nice to hear, we need more coverage of international matches. I dont know why Sky doesnt create a cricket channel to show SA v Eng,
Because you'd be bored to tears! ;)

ND_fan

Cricket Spectator
I'm not worried about a cricket channel nor am I interested in England, SA etc I would just like to see some more of the State Shield particularly with the Sri Lankan tour being cancelled. I personally think that Sky could have gone to a little effort to bring us coverage earlier than first scheduled and when they do cover the games I bet we won't even get to see all the teams - Auckland always seem to get a lot of coverage and one team often misses out completely.

Richard Rash

U19 Cricketer
ND_fan said:
I'm not worried about a cricket channel nor am I interested in England, SA etc I would just like to see some more of the State Shield particularly with the Sri Lankan tour being cancelled. I personally think that Sky could have gone to a little effort to bring us coverage earlier than first scheduled and when they do cover the games I bet we won't even get to see all the teams - Auckland always seem to get a lot of coverage and one team often misses out completely.
Yeah Wellington last year. Most of the comentators live in Auckland and they seem to cover most of their games. I agree they should have put more effort into picking up some more domestic cricket. I emailed sky and asked them the question but it seems they are satisfied in having picked up the World XI game and they have the VB series also. When the State Shield gets shown I bet we will miss a couple of games anyway due to rain

Kent

State 12th Man
Good to hear 'Zane' in support of the CW e-mailers when I was driving home - http://www.radiosport.co.nz/ThisWeek/42145.wma (2 minutes in)

It seems I missed an interview with Martin Snedden earlier on, in which he says he's looking at the possibility of getting a bits-and-pieces team to come to NZ and playing 3 ODIs.
http://www.radiosport.co.nz/ThisWeek/42015.wma (10 minutes in)
http://www.radiosport.co.nz/ThisWeek/42030.wma

Snedden mentions Justin Langer and Shane Warne, while Andrew McLean's team would include the likes of Darren Gough and Ross Taylor.

This all sounds a bit fanciful, although Snedden isn't usually the type to daydream out loud, so I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Kent

State 12th Man
Tim said:
It's also fair to say that if a cricket channel started here...we wouldn't be paying $2 a week like the Rugby Channel. It would be more like $20.
I remember hearing Sky's programming director saying they hoped to have some kind of plans for a Cricket Channel in place by about the end of the summer.

It certainly didn't sound like they'll be charging upwards of $20 a week. The thing Sky has in their favour is that NZ's such a tiny, insignificant market that often rights-holders can't be bothered trying to fleece us. If Sky had some verifiable numbers of their Cricket Channel subscription, it could potentially make rights negotiations a lot easier.

Last edited:

anzac

International Debutant
southern man said:
Cumming should never have been put in the one day team, He is a capble one day player, but nothing more than that. His ability has always been in the four day game, He averages nearly 40 in four day domestic cricket. But will never get a chance in test matches because he failed in the one day game, which is just stupid. PLayers should not be tested in the one day arena, there is just to much pressure. If they perform in the 4-day comp put them in the test team, don't stuff them around in the one day comep, where they don't have the capabilities.
Franklin was dropped after coming apart in the VB series finals in '02, but has managed to fight his way back into the Test side this season - so there is always hope................

anzac

International Debutant
Richard Rash said:
I am related to him so i have a bias view but that pretty much sums up how i feel about it
I brought up his name as a 'possible' when Rigor announced his retirement - but didn't you have some inside info as to why you thought he'd never get the opportunity again????????

does that still hold true re his not getting the chance?????

anzac

International Debutant
ND_fan said:
I'm not worried about a cricket channel nor am I interested in England, SA etc I would just like to see some more of the State Shield particularly with the Sri Lankan tour being cancelled.

showing my age again but I remember domestic state championship games being shown on 'state' tv in the dim dark days b4 privatisation, let alone cable / sat etc..........

bryce

International Regular
Richard Rash said:
I sent sky an email saying:

Just a quick query for you. With the Sri Lankan tour off is there any chance of picking up some more televised state shield matches to fill the gap?

And the reply they sent me was:

Hi,Thank you for your email.

Our coverage of the local cricket starts on the 27th January live on SKY Sport 1 from 10.50am.

We are also pleased to advise that we have secured rights to the Tsunami Appeal match between the ICC World XI vs Asian XI airing live on SKY Sport 1, Monday 10th January from 4.00pm.
yeah i got the same email back, personally i think they should make the rugby channel a rugby & cricket channel since in the rugby off-season all that is shown on the rugby channel is repeats, it'll never happen though

Richard Rash

U19 Cricketer
anzac said:
I brought up his name as a 'possible' when Rigor announced his retirement - but didn't you have some inside info as to why you thought he'd never get the opportunity again????????

does that still hold true re his not getting the chance?????
Lets just say the right people don't rate him highly enough

bryce

International Regular
i remember the reason he was selected for the ODI team was because he had a wider range of strokes than any other domestic opener in NZ, surely that must add to his case for the test team aswell

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
anzac said:
showing my age again but I remember domestic state championship games being shown on 'state' tv in the dim dark days b4 privatisation, let alone cable / sat etc..........
So do I - that great final when Gavin Larsen came out and batted with one arm left-handed was on free-to-air.