• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* NZ Domestic Season

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
No, what did he say?

I have also been following his ridiculous spat with cricket commentator Andrew McLean recently.

bryce

International Regular
ND 143/5 chasing 170 to win vs otago, mcglashan 30* - he has been a real find for ND this season, i haven't seen much of his glovework but he has made some rapid and important contributions in the one-dayers this season, i remember he had a promising career a few years ago with CD but never really got going and he was also the NZ Maori cricket team captain when they had a team in 2000 i think it was

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah he was captaining my club's 1st grade side in Auckland last season & this season...I think he's a very handy FC player, but not much more than that.

bryce

International Regular
Tim said:
No, what did he say?

I have also been following his ridiculous spat with cricket commentator Andrew McLean recently.
yeah i read that too - looked rather childish to me but crowes not one to sit back and cop the criticism.
crowe said that new zealander's are too busy complaining about the wickets instead of getting foward and using soft hands, here's the first bit of the article,

Play straight lads, it's not the wickets that are crap

"Get any runs today, darling?"
"Na, crap wicket!"
"Oh well next time dear. Where are you playing next?"
"On another crap wicket."
Poor things, these NZ first-class batsman. Really they have no chance do they?!
I reckon they're better off playing softball where the ball doesn't bounce.
Or, they could get off their butts and earn a living. They are extremely well paid and are provided with everything they need, but when it comes to getting foward and playing straight with soft hands and light bats, they ain't, I'm afraid, earning their keep.
Why? Because they are now so spooked by the pitches they play on, they can't cope.

bryce

International Regular
Tim said:
Yeah he was captaining my club's 1st grade side in Auckland last season & this season...I think he's a very handy FC player, but not much more than that.
will do for now - 3 catches and 41* off only 20 balls to see ND home

southern man

U19 Cricketer
Warren McSkimming is a useless fluffy bunny!!!!!!!

Three halfvolies in an over, each one dispatched for 6. It had to eb one fo the worest overs i had ever seen bowled.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
bryce said:
ND 143/5 chasing 170 to win vs otago, mcglashan 30* - he has been a real find for ND this season, i haven't seen much of his glovework but he has made some rapid and important contributions in the one-dayers this season, i remember he had a promising career a few years ago with CD but never really got going and he was also the NZ Maori cricket team captain when they had a team in 2000 i think it was
For a young fella (25), he has chewed through a few provinces as well. First CD, then Otago a couple of seasons ago, and now ND.

Nice guy too - during my mascot duties, I shared a room with him.

southern man

U19 Cricketer
A few more memories from the game.

WTF is Andrew Hore doing playing for Otago again.

Nathan McCullum hurt he knee quite bad diving for a Peter Mcglashen catch, could be out for a while.

Jeff Willson looked really really disinterested.

The crowd at the Varsity oval was the biggest i have seen at a domestic cricket game in dunedin.

Aaron Redmond as 12th man got a very hard time from a club team mate, which was bllody funny.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
southern man said:
A few more memories from the game.

WTF is Andrew Hore doing playing for Otago again.

Nathan McCullum hurt he knee quite bad diving for a Peter Mcglashen catch, could be out for a while.

Jeff Willson looked really really disinterested.

The crowd at the Varsity oval was the biggest i have seen at a domestic cricket game in dunedin.

Aaron Redmond as 12th man got a very hard time from a club team mate, which was bllody funny.
How was the ground, SM? Very picturesque spot - Graeme Elliott showed me around it a couple of weeks ago.

Who was Hore in for? He's a FCS - filthy club slogger.

southern man

U19 Cricketer
He played like one today too.

He was in for Redmond, my mate and i cracked up laughing when we heard he was walking out to bat. I would of rather a younger player get played than Hore, We have some talented youngsters around we can't let them go to waste.

The ground is nice, but the seats are very very uncomfterble. you just can't lean back for any leangth of time without back pain.

Loast of all brad Scoot has improved as a batman out of sight, he can hit the ball a long way.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
southern man said:
He played like one today too.

He was in for Redmond, my mate and i cracked up laughing when we heard he was walking out to bat. I would of rather a younger player get played than Hore, We have some talented youngsters around we can't let them go to waste.

The ground is nice, but the seats are very very uncomfterble. you just can't lean back for any leangth of time without back pain.

Loast of all brad Scoot has improved as a batman out of sight, he can hit the ball a long way.
He's always had plenty of technique - I always thought a few years ago he was a better batsman than bowler. His average must be looking pretty handy for the season.

southern man

U19 Cricketer
He was playing some very nice late cuts today. Then when he wanted to get going he simply flciked a couple of sixes of his legs.

Back on Andrew Hore for a second, i didn't realise he was as old as he is. HE IS 35. What is the point of brining back a jeriatris slogger? When we have technically sound young players?

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
southern man said:
He was playing some very nice late cuts today. Then when he wanted to get going he simply flciked a couple of sixes of his legs.

Back on Andrew Hore for a second, i didn't realise he was as old as he is. HE IS 35. What is the point of brining back a jeriatris slogger? When we have technically sound young players?
Yeah - he's been around for ages, and has had very rare success - it's a puzzling one that's for sure. Was he opening? Who are the other options there? Sean Eathorne? Or is he batting around 4 in club cricket?

southern man

U19 Cricketer
Nah, he was batting at 5, Which made it all that stranger. Sean is a 4 or 5, so i thought that would be a good time to blood him. Unlike Hore he can actually move his feet and has some talent.

I would also like to see Kieran Noema-Barnett given a game, some time this year. He has got alot of natural talent.

anzac

International Debutant
marc71178 said:
And at the end of the day we do have to support their judgement IMO.
why?????

I mean I have no problems in supporting the team & players as representatives of my country etc - but I don't have to support the 'powers that be' if I don't agree with their selections, philosophy / approach etc........by the same token they are quite at liberty to take no notice of me or anyone else for that matter........

anzac

International Debutant
didn't Cumming top score in a loosing side & then also take some wickets in the latest round????????

anzac

International Debutant
Voltman said:
So do I - that great final when Gavin Larsen came out and batted with one arm left-handed was on free-to-air.

but I'm going back to the days of 'the beige brigade'...............

I seem to remember that cricket was on nearly every Sunday during the summer, and midweek games as well..........and I'm talking championship rounds not shield ODs..........

Last edited:

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Probably Tama Canning and Jeff Wilson ATM.

Both are talented hitters, but not really in Jacob Oram's class in terms of actually building an innings. There are some who believe Wilson could be an international-class bowler when he's finally got his body right, although he didn't really look anywhere near it the last time I saw him. I know he felt it was taking a long time to lose the muscle bulk he gained from years of rugby, and at 31 it seems like that may not happen until it's too late.
Jeff Wilson....I read that name earlier....but I couldn't remember it.

Canning is a 'keeper-stand-up medium-pacer. How useful will he be?

Andre Adams has been useful with bat and ball, but not too consistent. Even Kyle Mills has a very healthy batting average, and he has batted in the middle order, so his position in the batting order is a little too low.