• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* NZ Domestic Season

Will Scarlet

U19 Debutant
Got to learn from past mistakes!

What happens if Astle, Styris, Oram, and/or H. Marshall fail during the WI series? We suddenly force changes for the tests IN South Africa? Bad idea! New Zealand cricket needs so show the ability to plan for the long term: for once.

Does anyone remember the great benefit we reeped from taking a full strength squad (including the likes of McMillan) to Bangladesh and destroying them? Learning from the mistakes of the past would be a good idea.

I meant no disrespect to the WI - I wish they were better - but NZC needs to blood new players against the weaker test nations, especially when we are playing at home.

Going on past selections though, we'll see James Marshall and Craig McMillan back in the squad.

Blaze

Banned
The West Indies aren't that bad. Their bowling attack is probably equal to ours and Gayle, Chanderpaul, Sarwan and Lara would all make our side comfortably.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Blaze said:
The West Indies aren't that bad. Their bowling attack is probably equal to ours and Gayle, Chanderpaul, Sarwan and Lara would all make our side comfortably.
quite true Blaze, but their batsmen have neither the patience or technique in NZ conditions IMO. With the exception of Lara

sirjeremy11

State Vice-Captain
Blaze said:
I have to say, I think our bowling attack is better than theirs! For the tests (fitness permitting) we should have Bond, Vettori, Martin, and Franklin (I'm guessing). Surely you can see that is a better attack than the likes of Rawl Lewis, Fidel Edwards, Taylor, Powell, and Bradshaw. Yes, Bravo should go well here, and I think that Colleymore would have been quite effective, and maybe Lawson. But they aren't coming.

Scarier thing is, who would you pick if my NZ bowling attack has injuries...

Mills? Mason? Adams? Hmm...

Natman20

International Debutant
sirjeremy11 said:
I have to say, I think our bowling attack is better than theirs! For the tests (fitness permitting) we should have Bond, Vettori, Martin, and Franklin (I'm guessing). Surely you can see that is a better attack than the likes of Rawl Lewis, Fidel Edwards, Taylor, Powell, and Bradshaw. Yes, Bravo should go well here, and I think that Colleymore would have been quite effective, and maybe Lawson. But they aren't coming.

Scarier thing is, who would you pick if my NZ bowling attack has injuries...

Mills? Mason? Adams? Hmm...
Mason. I think he has impressed me a bit this year or Mark Gillespie

Twenty20 final today in 45 mins. Auckland vs. Cantebury.
Yah its actually free to air! live on Prime.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Mark Gillespie can't field though!. He does look a good bowler at times, but I get the impression he can also be a bit of a loose cannon on the field.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Is it just me or is Danny Morrison annoying to everyone?
"0800 Stunning!" lol...he's terrible.

Sportsgirl

School Boy/Girl Captain
Ugly collision between Bond & Fulton. Bond looked like he came off second best. Was rubbing his left knee. Hope Bond doesn't pick up an injury from it.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
What saved them was the fact that Fulton pulled out just in time. If Fulton had kept going for the catch then it could have been disastrous...and what a nightmare that would be to have one of our up & coming batsmen out as well as Shane Bond!

Blaze

Banned
Tim said:
Is it just me or is Danny Morrison annoying to everyone?
"0800 Stunning!" lol...he's terrible.
He is trying to emulate Crowe, 'Right off the fat'. He has also started to call balls 'pills'

'Styris has only faced 15 pills'

Obviously he thinks he is a stand up comedian or something.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Ross Taylor cracks another century. He will almost certainly make the Black Caps against the West Indies i would think.

Sportsgirl

School Boy/Girl Captain
Now that Oram looks certain to miss the West Indies series Ross Taylor could take his spot with Chris Harris as the allrounder in place of Cairns.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I suppose they will name 13 (presuming these names are fit):

Fleming
Vincent
Taylor
Fulton
H.Marshall
Styris
McCullum
Harris
Vettori
Mills
Bond

Supersub: Franklin or Patel

No room for How unfortunately with Fleming returning to the side. The other option would be to leave out Taylor & drop Vincent to #3 so that How could open...which is still a big possibility. Adams will probably not have enough match-fitness to make the side.

The concern with that side is that there are only 2 pace bowlers in the side with Styris as back-up so I guess if Harris made the side..Franklin would most likely be the super-sub. The other option would be to drop Harris for Franklin and bat Vettori at 8, Franklin at 9

Last edited: