• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* NZ Domestic Season

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Tim said:
what the heck? Barnett is only 22 or something and he's decided to play for Canada. Interesting.

I've seen him on TV recently. He's quite imposing at the crease, and he looks like he's got some potential as an opener. Im not sure why he's gone and made himself available for Canada when there's every chance that with a bit of work he could make the NZ team eventually.
I don't think playing for Canada will rule him out of NZ selection though.

IIRC the day that Ed Joyce became qualified for England, he was playing in the ICC trophy for Ireland.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Auckland finally putting a good innings together, Vincent going well by the look of it.

James

Cricket Web Owner
Ian Butler scoring runs! What is the world coming to! Those bowling attacks must be pretty shocking if Butler can score runs, because he's a first class bunny at first class level isn't he.

Sir Redman

State Vice-Captain
James said:
Ian Butler scoring runs! What is the world coming to! Those bowling attacks must be pretty shocking if Butler can score runs, because he's a first class bunny at first class level isn't he.
He's not exactly a bunny at first class level (average of 16 with 2 50s) and I know that he has been working very hard on his batting while he's been injured. He has been scoring plenty of runs for Pukekohe and Counties and I think that he's in ND A as a batsman who bowls off spinners at the moment.

Blaze

Banned
B-J Watling Not Out 116

*DL Vettori c McSkimming b McCullum 76

L Vincent c&b Cairns 88

SE Bond 10 0 38 1

SP Fleming lbw Thompson 57

Good to see some of the black caps doing well.

Looks like CD are going to knock Wellington out in their virtual quarter final.

Otago are finally going to crack the top 3. Good on them.

Blaze

Banned
James said:

I wouldn't call him a bunny James. He has always showed a bit of promise with the willow whenever I have seen him.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Blaze said:
B-J Watling Not Out 116

*DL Vettori c McSkimming b McCullum 76

L Vincent c&b Cairns 88

SE Bond 10 0 38 1

SP Fleming lbw Thompson 57

Good to see some of the black caps doing well.

Looks like CD are going to knock Wellington out in their virtual quarter final.

Otago are finally going to crack the top 3. Good on them.
And yet another potentially season-ending injury for Otago. This time, a dislocated knee to Aaron Redmond. :@

Ming

State 12th Man
Sir Redman said:
He's not exactly a bunny at first class level (average of 16 with 2 50s) and I know that he has been working very hard on his batting while he's been injured. He has been scoring plenty of runs for Pukekohe and Counties and I think that he's in ND A as a batsman who bowls off spinners at the moment.
Sweet, the spinning batting allrounder would be handy for NZ....:laugh:

Sportsgirl

School Boy/Girl Captain
Final Round Results in the State Shield

Canterbury beat Auckland by 5 wickets to secure a home final
Central Stags thrashed Wellington by 7 wickets
Northern Knights thrashed Otago by 128 runs

Ross Taylor smashed 121 for CD
BJ Watling made an unbeaten 116 for Northern

Central host Otago in a semi final to decide who plays Canterbury in the final

arnies

Cricket Spectator
Taylor should be picked!!

I think Ross Taylor should be picked for the blackcaps. I know hes young but we need to look forward to the 07 world cup. He has an average of 50+ this season and just smashed 121 today. He is a quick runner, great filder, and a fast scoring player with a strike rate of 85.13. He has performed better than any blackcap this season. How can the selectors ignore this!!!

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
arnies said:
I think Ross Taylor should be picked for the blackcaps. I know hes young but we need to look forward to the 07 world cup. He has an average of 50+ this season and just smashed 121 today. He is a quick runner, great filder, and a fast scoring player with a strike rate of 85.13. He has performed better than any blackcap this season. How can the selectors ignore this!!!
The main problem for Taylor as I see it is how he's performed for NZA, in fact any time he's played higher than provincial opposition. We all heard Bracewell say a while back how importantly he now views 'A' tours in terms of "the massive transformation from domestic cricketers to international cricketers".

Against non-domestic teams, I think Taylor's highest score in either form of the game is 35 against the touring South Africans in '04. Five ODs for NZA so far, an ave of 5.8.

I know there are those who view Taylor as too much of an Afridi-like nutter and a chronic LB candidate to play at international level, and that we'd see attacks do what the Aussies did to Fleming last season by trapping him playing around his front pad. I think Rigor alluded to this in the SS game Sky covered.

However, you could argue that better pitches at international level might allow Taylor to work as many balls off middle-stump as he likes. We won't know for sure until he's given a run I suppose.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Im not convinced that we're that desperate in the middle order to bring him in yet. I think we can afford to send him on another couple of 'A' tours yet before he breaks into the BC's.

But there's no doubt that he's got the consistency going this season and he's extremely dangerous.

Natman20

International Debutant
Daniel Vettori. hmmm. What is his average so far this season? The selectors would have to seriously look at him opening for NZ. He has proven he can do it at first-class level many times now but can he do it at international level?

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
It's not a realistic option if you ask me. Vettori is doing the job for NZ in the lower order, i'd keep him there.