• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* NZ Domestic Season

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
The Otago second XI have got away to a flier against the Canterbury seconds in Oamaru today, reaching 82 without loss with about 20 minutes to go until lunch.

Shaun Haig brought up his 50 just as I left, although he'd faced a bit of a torrid time from Hamish Bennett, who seems to have modelled himself a wee bit on Shane Bond's old action - hopefully he doesn't get the same injuries.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
He's not as quick as some of the reports make him out to be. The 'keeper was probably back about 17-18 metres, although he was taking a few up around neck height. That could be the brilliantly-paced Centennial Park wicket though... ;)

SouthernMan

Cricket Spectator
Volts,How strong was the Otago side?

Would it feature guys like Harris, waldrom, Sewell, Sommerville, Eathorne, Barnett and ftizgibbon?

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Here are the teams as named last week. I think there were a couple of changes in the Canterbury side though:

Otago: Anthony Harris, Craig Smith, David Sewell, James Bullick, Marcel McKenzie, Matt Harvie, Nic Turner, Sam Wells/Nick Morrison, Sean Eathorne, Shaun Haig, Simon Beare (C), Will Somerville.
Canterbury: Andrew Ellis (C), Ttodd Astle, Gary Stead, Peter Carey, Luke Vivian, Tim Papps, Brent Findlay, Sonny Chan, Brandon Hiini, Craig Ross, Hamish Bennett, Shanan Stewart.

Can't say I've been all that impressed with Astle's leggies so far. He was dropping a few short, although was slowly coming right.

SouthernMan

Cricket Spectator
Thats quite a strong Canterbury team. Looking at the Otago team im a little suprised that we didn't give guys like Sheed and SHaw a run to keep up their match fitness since they haven't featured that heavily in the one day comp. Also suprised not to see our U19 boys not there, surely it would have been better to have given fitzgibbon the gloves and let Ant Harris concentrate on his batting at the top of the order. With Noema Barnett, surely it would have been better to have played him looking to the future than someone like Beare or Turner.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Here's the write-up from the first day:

Otago batsman Anthony Harris played a pivotal role in an intruiging first day of the three-day clash between the Otago and Canterbury second XI cricket sides at Centennial Park yesterday.
Harris' unbeaten 86 took the momentum away from a Canterbury side that had clawed its way back into the match after a lacklustre first session, leaving Otago at 309/7 at stumps.
The Canterbury bowlers had first use of a green-looking Centennial Park wicket, but failed to bowl tight enough lines to really test the two openers, Sam Wells and Shaun Haig.
Haig took an attacking approach to dealing with the Canterbury bowlers, clocking up 13 fours in his stay of just over two hours at the crease. He was particularly uncompromising on half-volleys, peppering the offside boundary.
Wells made a tidy 38, but after Haig's dismissal, the second session belonged to Canterbury.
Sonny Chan was the best of the Canterbury bowlers during the middle session, picking up two wickets.
Canterbury would have enjoyed the afternoon tea break, and the wicket of Otago captain Simon Beare straight after the break, seemed to give Canterbury even more confidence.
But the right-handed Harris clubbed 13 fours and two sixes in his knock as Otago righted the ship after a muddling middle order performance undid some good early work by the opening pair.
Harris received good support from the lower order as Will Somerville (21) and Craig Smith (13 not out) both shared in 50-plus partnerships with the strapping Harris.
Promising quick bowler Hamish Bennett was unlucky in his spell, showing good pace and carry, but seemed to tire as the day went on.
350 would appear to be a competitive total on a Centennial Park pitch that is flattening out as the match goes on and Otago will be wanting as much on top of that to give the bowlers something to defend today and tomorrow.

Otago 309/7
Anthony Harris 86 not out
Shaun Haig 65
Sam Wells 38
Sonny Chan 2-53 off 18 overs
Brent Findlay 2-45 off 15 overs.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Auckland are a joke right now. They're 93/8 against C.D and it looks like they're going to struggle to go past 100 again.

McDonnel has been complaining that they are missing key players but every side has missed Black Caps & unfortunately Mills & Vincent are currently injured.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
This guy Daniel Flynn from N.D, the former NZ U19 Captain looks to be a gem. Striking at 100+ this season and scoring runs consistently.

SouthernMan

Cricket Spectator
Cumming is useless selfish and crap.

Just some thoughts on the game

Canterbury needed 11 off the last over, Scott had been bowling good yorkers for the last couple of overs. He and McSkimming late overs bowling had got us back in the match. Yet Cumming though his crappy little slow seamers would be enough to hold out the Canterbury batsman. Useless barstd.

But the saddest part of the day was seeing Greg Todd go down.It was just the start of his second over a ball got driven back he dived down to field it fell badly, then he didn't get up. As his screams of pain echoed around the ground, an anbulance was quickly called. But it was twenty long minutes before anything could be done for the big man, But finally the ambulance arrived. Very sad end to the season for big Toddy.

It was really good to see Chris Gaffney return to his best today, with the bat he was at his dashing best but he ended with a brain explosion as usual. But his biggest contribution in the game was the ctach he took to dismiss Shannon Stewat. Stewart picked up a full ball and it looked for all money to be a straight six, Gaffney raced around the boundary dived full stretch to his left, stuck one hand out and guess what the ball stuck! It was the best catch I have ever seen, Better than Hussey, Better than Paspuati and anything the Marshall boys have every pulled out. It was imply amazing.

Over all a super game of cricket, played on an absolute road of a pitch, just ruined by a poor and slfish bit of captaincy.

Sir Redman

State Vice-Captain
Ming said:
Is there a difference? It's ****ing same.
Overall it is very similar, but there are a couple of things I've noticed.

• His left leg is further to the left in his delivery stride, so he's not bowling across his front leg so much
  • He holds his action slightly longer than he used to (i.e his arms don't move quite so much)
  • And his left arm is also further to the left to keep his body more front-on

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
SouthernMan said:
Cumming is useless selfish and crap.

Just some thoughts on the game

Canterbury needed 11 off the last over, Scott had been bowling good yorkers for the last couple of overs. He and McSkimming late overs bowling had got us back in the match. Yet Cumming though his crappy little slow seamers would be enough to hold out the Canterbury batsman. Useless barstd.
http://www.nzcricket.co.nz/display.aspx?ss=Scorecard: Otago&pri=101&sec=650&cid=5898&tpl=2

Scott - 9 overs (45 over innings)
McSkimming - 9 overs
McMillan - 9 overs.

You were saying??? :D

(and yes, I know we've discussed it elsewhere, but I thought I would be cheeky and bring it up here).

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Sir Redman said:
Overall it is very similar, but there are a couple of things I've noticed.

• His left leg is further to the left in his delivery stride, so he's not bowling across his front leg so much
  • He holds his action slightly longer than he used to (i.e his arms don't move quite so much)
  • And his left arm is also further to the left to keep his body more front-on
Thank you, Sir Redman. The arms in particular is what I've noticed. Certainly not as exaggerated as it used to be.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
It's a good sign that Jamie How has returned to the State Shield with scores of 88 & 53.

Cairns looks as though he's working back into a bit of form too with both bat & ball.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Not quite sure where something like this would go, but..

I was just putting through a lower-grade result, when I looked at the scorers. The team batting first made 165. But get this - 66 of the runs were extras! Looking at the best bowling figures which were reasonably economical, I've decided they either played without a keeper or the batsmen were wearing 3ft-wide pads.

Natman20

International Debutant
Daryl Tuffey and Ian Butler seem to have been playing for counties manukau for a while now isn't it time they made it back into First-class sides. Their injuries must have been pretty serious if they havn't even been playing first class for ages.