• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* NZ Domestic Season

Blaze

Banned
James said:
You'll obviously agree with my above post then because that's what I believe is causing this to happen.
I think the problem is with the North Island venues, although I don't know much about University Oval where Otago play .

SouthernMan

Cricket Spectator
University oval pitch is improving, it was abit green when they first put it in a couple of seasons ago. But it is starting to even out and will produce some big scores. As soon as it does that there is a good chance it will be given a test match.

The problem with Carisbrook at the moment is that they are trialing drop in pitches, as they won't be playing much if any domestic cricket there in the future just the odd one dayer. So they want to be able to chuck a pitch in for a couple of days in the middle of the super 14 so they can host an ODI.

James

Cricket Web Owner
SouthernMan said:
University oval pitch is improving, it was abit green when they first put it in a couple of seasons ago. But it is starting to even out and will produce some big scores. As soon as it does that there is a good chance it will be given a test match.

The problem with Carisbrook at the moment is that they are trialing drop in pitches, as they won't be playing much if any domestic cricket there in the future just the odd one dayer. So they want to be able to chuck a pitch in for a couple of days in the middle of the super 14 so they can host an ODI.
Nice to hear something like that first hand - cheers mate :)

The worst ever domestic pitch that comes to my mind was the one in Waikanae (1 hour from Wellington) which Central Districts used for a couple of seasons. Lucky for them, it isn't on the calendar this year!

How is Eden Park Outer Oval these days Blaze?

I see the domestic Twenty20 games start later this week. Does anyone know what time they start?

Darrin

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Blaze said:
Today's games were One Dayers?

But I here what you are saying. Something that annoys me more is when you see the likes of Tama Canning etc opening the bowling or taking bags of wickets. To move forward we need to manipulate our pitches so that medium pacers get very little assistance from the pitch and don't succeed as much as they have in the past. This will in turn mean that batsmen are more likely to score more runs as bowlers will have to bowl really consistantly well to get rewards. Michael Mason and Ian O'Brien failed at international level because there is such a big diference between the pitches at domestic and international level. They bowled the length that had worked for them at domestic level and got carted because international wickets are harder and better to bat on.

I am obviously surprised at Peter Fulton's level of success at international level but it goes to show that he is someone who has benefited from playing on better wickets against Sri Lanka. The same could be said for Hamish Marshall and I reckon the same would apply to Ross Taylor and Jesse Ryder if they were given the chance to play for the black caps.
Yes i know they were one-dayers, 1)-It was poorly written, and 2)- I was combining both and bringing in 4-dayers as well.

thierry henry

International Coach
Just to get back to the NZ under-19 squad, I'm mates (well, acquaintances, at least) with Roneel Hira and he plays in our indoor cricket team every now and again. It's pretty exciting to see him in the squad because I've known him since primary school when we (me and my mates who are 2 years older) used to bowl at him for hours without him ever getting out.

I'm not going to predict huge things for him, because I have a sneaking suspicion that he probably wasn't one of the first picking in the squad and might not be in the starting XI. I will say that he is an all-rounder, through most of his youth up until about the age of 13 he was an outstanding batsman, then perhaps he figured that might not get him to the top on its own, and started bowling left-arm orthodox spin more seriously. I'd say that he is probably a bowling all-rounder if anything now, if he does play I suspect he will bat somewhere between 7 and 9?

It's good that he made it cos he's been pretty dedicated to cricket his whole life. He even went all the way across the world this winter to play for a Welsh club side. This link details his efforts, and includes a somewhat amusing picture of him bowling with a pad on :mellow: http://www.mochdrecc.freeserve.co.uk/Page306.htm

BlackCap_Fan

State Vice-Captain
thierry henry said:
Just to get back to the NZ under-19 squad, I'm mates (well, acquaintances, at least) with Roneel Hira and he plays in our indoor cricket team every now and again. It's pretty exciting to see him in the squad because I've known him since primary school when we (me and my mates who are 2 years older) used to bowl at him for hours without him ever getting out.

I'm not going to predict huge things for him, because I have a sneaking suspicion that he probably wasn't one of the first picking in the squad and might not be in the starting XI. I will say that he is an all-rounder, through most of his youth up until about the age of 13 he was an outstanding batsman, then perhaps he figured that might not get him to the top on its own, and started bowling left-arm orthodox spin more seriously. I'd say that he is probably a bowling all-rounder if anything now, if he does play I suspect he will bat somewhere between 7 and 9?

It's good that he made it cos he's been pretty dedicated to cricket his whole life. He even went all the way across the world this winter to play for a Welsh club side. This link details his efforts, and includes a somewhat amusing picture of him bowling with a pad on :mellow: http://www.mochdrecc.freeserve.co.uk/Page306.htm
I've heard of Roneel Hira; he used to go to my school (Kelston Boys), although I've never met him. I heard he had a great performace where he scored 50, then picked up 5 wickets in the same match. Or something. I have heard that he's really good, and it's good to see that he's getting pretty far, cricket wise.

Edit: Damn, he really is impressive;

1000 Runs

560 in July

Last edited:

SouthernMan

Cricket Spectator
WOW
www.nzcricket.co.nz
Auckland edges classic encounter
Suzie Bates hit a State League record 183 not out for State Otago Sparks in Auckland – but ended up on the losing side of a remarkable game at Melville Park.

The teenager (pictured) hit a breathtaking 183 to give Otago 274 for four from their 50 overs, their highest-ever score and the fifth-highest in State League history.

However, a century from State Auckland Hearts’ White Fern Rebecca Rolls in a 188-run opening stand with Ros Kember earned her side a four-wicket victory which had appeared highly unlikely.

Bates told nzcricket.co.nz: “I’ve just got really mixed emotions about it. When you get a score like that, you think you will have a chance of winning.

“It’s pretty amazing. I’m really stoked about the innings, but disappointed about the result. Hopefully, we can get back at them tomorrow.”

Otago won the toss and batted first and lost two early wickets. However, Bates came to the crease at first drop, and carried her bat for the rest of the innings.

Dropped on 12 when the fielder was blinded by the sun, she smashed her record knock from only 152 balls, eclipsing Kate Pulford's 153 not out for Central Districts v Canterbury in Christchurch six years ago.

Her fifties came off 46, 47 and 38 balls respectively and at 18 years, 117 days she is the youngest centurion in the competition, beating the record set by Tamara Gould by 87 days.

The fourth-wicket partnership of 86 by Bates and Katey Martin was a record for Otago against any team, as was the unbroken fifth-wicket partnership of 109 between Bates and player-coach Clare Taylor.

However, Auckland – and Rolls - were in no mood to be beaten. Rolls piled up almost 40 before opening partner Kember had tallied, and kept up a phenomenal pace before Rolls went for 110 off just 89 balls, her century coming from 76 balls.

Kember followed soon after for 66, and although Auckland slowed their rate, they took an incredible victory with three balls to spare.

The opening partnership was a record by Auckland against any team, while the total of 275 was the highest successful chase in the competition and the match aggregate of 549 the highest ever.

Former England international Taylor said: “Obviously we let Rebecca Rolls off the hook a couple of times. But that’s cricket, it really is a great leveller.”

“We’ve got quite an inexperienced side and we perhaps don’t have enough experience about how to close games. It’s great for Susie, but it’s a shame we just couldn’t do it for her.”

Taylor also played for England when former White Fern Kirsty Flavell hit her New Zealand-record 204 in 1996.

She added: “It must be me! I think I must always be there for these big scores.”

The side play the second leg of their double header at Melville Park tomorrow.
Suzie is a bloody good all round sports person, she also plays in the Otago basketball team and was a very handy rugby player too.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Her fifties came off 46, 47 and 38 balls respectively and at 18 years, 117 days she is the youngest centurion in the competition, beating the record set by Tamara Gould by 87 days.
DIdn't realise our Tamara had that record - kept it a bit quiet didn't she?!

Natman20

International Debutant
First Twenty20 game in New Zealand domestic history is to be played today along with an ODI.

ODI
State Central Stags v State Auckland Aces Trafalgar Park, Nelson

Twenty20
State Canterbury Wizards v State Otago Volts Hagley Oval, Christchurch
State Wellington Firebirds v State Northern Knights Basin Reserve, Wellington

Blakey

State Vice-Captain
Natman20 said:
First Twenty20 game in New Zealand domestic history is to be played today along with an ODI.

ODI
State Central Stags v State Auckland Aces Trafalgar Park, Nelson

Twenty20
State Canterbury Wizards v State Otago Volts Hagley Oval, Christchurch
State Wellington Firebirds v State Northern Knights Basin Reserve, Wellington
Of the 20/20 games I've watched I haven't been terribly enthused by the whole thing.

Natman20

International Debutant
Neither. To be honest I would rather watch an ODI or a Test match. I think this is just a ploy to bring in people that havnt been interested in cricket before. I think it will fail sooner or later.

Natman20

International Debutant
I think Twent20 will have some benifits in NZ domestic cricket because it will teach bowlers how to bowl at the death. Hopefully.

Retox

State Vice-Captain
Natman20 said:
I think Twent20 will have some benifits in NZ domestic cricket because it will teach bowlers how to bowl at the death. Hopefully.
*Dreamy Sigh* You mean it? You really mean it?

Ming

State 12th Man
Yep, 108 from 15 overs isn't that great. And surely the Otago batsmen would have at least be inventive against Astle's mild medium-paced line and length bowling to not let him go for only 9 runs in 2 overs?

SouthernMan

Cricket Spectator
I just wish Trott would take the rest of our batsmen aside and give them an idiots guide to batting lesson, as it seems he is the only one in our lineup who has any idea how to bat and can actually show some patience. I just hope we get him back next season. Good to see McCullum trying to nuckle down too, but no doubt he will get a rush of bloody and do something stupid.