• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* NZ Domestic Season

Sir Redman

State Vice-Captain
southern man said:
He will add another dimension to the mens hockey team with his defensive work and his drag flick, and as a Hockey fan I'm stocked he is returning to Hockey.
I'm a hockey guy too. Normally when I hear about sportsmen dropping out of one sport to play cricket, but when I heard that Shaw had dumped hockey I was gutted. He's so critical to our team if we want to compete against the top nations. Hopefully with him back we can rise back up the rankings.

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
1 Jones, 2 McIntosh, 3 Horne, 4 Nicol, 5 Styris, 6 Vincent+, 7 Mills, 8 Canning, 9 Adams, 10 Martin, 11 Walmsley

I'll say this year's attack will be pretty much pace orientated, who's the most likely spinner to replace Walker?
Not to forget we have the likes of Paul Hitchcock, Carl Cachopa and Derek De Boorder in our reserves..
I think Tim Lythe will replace Walker as spinner..

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Tim Lythe is a very good spinner. He was playing at my club Auckland University, but the Auckland selectors don't really seem to pick players from there so he's moved to Suburbs New Lynn I think. He's also a handy batsman.

De Boorder should overtake Reece Young soon enough, he's rubbish.

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
Yeah i remember he used to play for the Uni back he used to train with us... He is good.. i wouldnt say very good .. pretty handy bat aswell.. i think that Suburbs New Lynn was a good move too.. hes playing alongside Canning there.

Yea De Boorder is probably on a total difference scale of batting ability than Reece Young.. no reason why he shouldnt take him out.

And Plus Paul Strang is around and hes a resident of auckland now.. no reason why he cant boost our batting if needed imo.. but really we should brood new people.

I also saw Billcliffs playing for Auckland Uni.. i think thats the same Ian Billcliff kiwi born and brought up but played for Canada in the WC... thats another strong batting option.. unless he decides to go play State for Otago where his parents are..

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Just about to head back down to North Otago v Southland. It's been a bowlers' game so far, with North Otago making only 114 in its first innings before rolling Southland for 86. North Otago then made 153 or so, leaving Southland 180ish to win. When they went to lunch, Southland was 90/5, having lost Jeff Wilson not long before the break to an abysmal LBW. Wilson wasn't impressed either, pointing out the spot halfway up his thigh where the ball hit him as he walked off and many a rubbish bin felt the force of his bat as he walked into the changing room.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Sneak preview...

Southland captain Geoff Folster led from the front with an unbeaten 71 to take the Hawke Cup match away from hosts North Otago in the regional two-day match at Centennial Park in Oamaru at the weekend.
Folster, who top-scored for Southland in its paltry first-innings total of 86, turned the match coming in at number seven as Southland chased a testing target of 182 for victory.
A Southland win may have looked rather likely early in the match after Southland won the toss and inserted North Otago on a lively Centennial Park pitch.
North Otago responded with a battling 114, with none of the batsmen able to get a start. Number 10 batsman James Lovelock was the top scorer behind extras, with a well-worked 20.
Former Black Cap Jeff Wilson showed his irrepressible class throughout the match and started with the ball in the first innings. On a restricted workload to manage his injury problems, his 10 overs were delivered at a brisk pace and netted him three wickets including the key wickets of Dunedin club imports Shaun Haig and Jarrod Waldron.
Wilson was bettered, however, by Southland opening bowler Nic Turner, who kept the batsmen guessing as he knocked a gaping hole in North Otago’s lower order.
But things went from rather pleasant to awful very quickly for Southland as six batsmen were sent back to the pavilion before 15 runs were on the board, including three batsmen with ducks.
Folster arrested the slide in a 52-run partnership with Mark Billcliff for the seventh wicket. The pair took the pitch out of the equation, scoring at better than a run a ball. Simon Murphy further assisted Folster but the initial damage was done, as Southland only reached 86.
The two Craigs, Smith and Direen, were the main destroyers, snaring four and three wickets respectively. Smith, in particular, produced plenty of false shots from the Southland batsmen, while Direen nagged away at a steady length.
After an early setback when Geoff Smith was bowled for a duck, North Otago set about building on its first innings lead. Captain Marcel McKenzie (21) played the anchor role to Shaun Haig (48) before the brilliance of Wilson turned the match.
He collected both batsmen in the space of a couple of overs and then fired in a bullet of a throw from the boundary to help run out Jarrod Waldron for 2, to leave North Otago rebuilding at 75/4. But useful contributions from Blair Cooper, Tim Wilson and Craig Smith helped the home side through to 153 after an hour’s play on Sunday.
The confidence in the North Otago camp would have been high shortly after Southland’s run-chase got underway, as Southland slumped to 23/4 with the loss of Jonathan Homer. Craig Smith once again did the damage, with the first four Southland wickets attributed to him.
But it was that man Goldie who swung the match yet again. He struck four sixes and four fours in his 36-ball 45 before he was given out leg-before to a ball that hit him on the thigh.
His batting partner, Tim McClean, had earlier enjoyed a reprieve when he was bowled off a no-ball, and made the most of his let-off with a handy 18, supporting Wilson and then Folster.
The Southland captain scratched around early on before unleashing powerful drives and punishing anything on his legs. His unbeaten 71 was laced with 11 fours in his 84 balls at the crease.
As the pitch flattened out, Folster took toll, as did Simon Murphy, who joined Folster with 42 runs to go, and they got there in good time as the North Otago bowlers became tired.

southern man

U19 Cricketer
Otago batsmen sowing some good form early on at the acadamey

www.odt.co.nz
• Cricket

By Craig Page

Otago’s batsmen have found some early form before the State Championship, with Aaron Redmond scoring back-to-back centuries in pre-season matches at Lincoln this week.
Recently arrived South African import Jonathan Trott and Redmond both scored unbeaten hundreds in a two-day match against the inexperienced New Zealand Academy team, played on Sunday and Monday.
Both batsmen retired with their scores on 114. Greg Todd also scored 60 before retiring as Otago declared its innings closed at 406 for 4.
Redmond also impressed with the ball, taking three cheap wickets as the academy was bundled out for 191. Nathan McCullum and Gareth Shaw picked up two wickets each.
Redmond was in the runs for Otago again yesterday against Canterbury with another unbeaten century, retiring on 104. Neil Broom, who moved south from Canterbury this season, also retired on 104 as Otago finished the day at 321-6. The Canterbury match concludes today. Otago will then play Central Districts on Friday and Saturday.
The State Championship begins on December 5 with Otago meeting Northern in Gisborne.
Great to see our top order batsmen scoring runs, Chris Cairns also scored runs in Cnaterbury's first game with a big hundred. Pitches must be a belters.

Natman20

International Debutant
southern man said:
Otago batsmen sowing some good form early on at the acadamey

www.odt.co.nz

Great to see our top order batsmen scoring runs, Chris Cairns also scored runs in Cnaterbury's first game with a big hundred. Pitches must be a belters.
Where is this articla i cant find it

southern man

U19 Cricketer
You have to go to the digital edition, and register.

It isn't on the front page, anywahy that is the full article...

http://www.nzcricket.co.nz/display.aspx?pri=101&sec=637&cid=5343&tpl=0

Thats the scoreboard from the first game vs the Acadamey, good to see Jordan Sheed scoring **** all runs hopefully it stays that way so he doesn't get ago at first class level. That guy is hopeless.

Canterbury vs CD

http://www.nzcricket.co.nz/display.aspx?pri=101&sec=637&cid=5344&tpl=0

Can't believe Gary Stead is still around.

Last edited:

southern man

U19 Cricketer
Canterbury looking at signing former West Indies fast bowler Nixon McLean
www.radiosport.co.nz

West Indian for Canterbury cricket?

Canterbury Cricket looks set to sign former West Indies fast bowler, Nixon McLean.

CEO Richard Reid says recent departures and current injuries have left a bit of a hole in the team lineup.

Reid says with Richard Sherlock injured, Hayden Shaw going back to hockey and Chris Martin going to Auckland they needed to find someone.

Finding the money for McLean is now the priority - if all goes to plan he could be wearing red and black by December 1.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Its a bit of a concern when Canterbury of all teams appear to be looking overseas for options.

Interestingly, Vasbert Drakes is already playing club cricket in Canterbury so I wonder why they aren't asking him.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
The 24 players chosen for the final Otago Volts trial in Dunedin on Wednesday and Thursday:

Aaron Redmond
Anthony Harris
Bradley Scott
Chris Gaffaney
Craig Cumming
Craig Smith
David Sewell
Eric Standfield
Gareth Hopkins
Greg Todd
James McMillan
Jarrad Waldron
Jonathan Homer
Jonathan Trott
Jordan Sheed
Leighton Morgan
Marcel McKenzie
Nathan McCullum
Nathan Morland
Neil Broom
Nic Turner
Nick Morrison
Simon Beare
Simon Murley
Warren McSkimming
Good to see six guys involved in cricket in the districts - Smith, Turner, Homer, McKenzie, Waldron (a draft player) and Central Otago's Leighton Morgan - all get a chance.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Blaze said:
Where is Wilson?

Push David Swell into retirement.
Only playing State Shield I think. Although he was playing for the Districts XI in the two-day trial here yesterday and today, so he may just be coming back up to full fitness.

Natman20

International Debutant

State Chamionship - Dec 5-8

Cantebury Wizards v Wellington Firebirds
Central Stags v Auckland Aces
Northern Knights v Otago Volts

Most interesting match will probably be Central v Auckland. Any thoughts?