• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* NZ Domestic Season

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
Central Districts will defend their State Shield crown at New Plymouth's Pukekura Park on Saturday while Northern Districts will play Canterbury at Eden Park on Wednesday to decide who the other finalist will be.
From NZCRICKET.CO.NZ

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Thats a really strange decision. Stuff.co.nz reported that the match would be at Taupo.

I suppose because the holiday season is really over, there is a higher chance of attracting 10 more people to Eden Park...because Aucklanders are pretty good at not showing up to matches.

ND_fan

Cricket Spectator
When the Otago v Canterbury game was on Sky the commentators were talking about where the semi would be played and Crowe I think it was, said something about Taupo not being suitable for the TV crew. Something about no room for scafolding etc. Don't know if that's the reason it's at Eden Park but it's quite tough for ND not really having a 'home'.

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
But ND's region really surrounds Auckland anyway so they may get a better turnout. Taupo is a long way for the people living in Northland to travel to. Probably makes sense to have to central

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
The Eden Park #2 has actually been quite a good wicket this season. Canterbury are probably relieved that the game didn't get transferred to Hadley Oval anyway.

Cam7

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
ND_fan said:
When the Otago v Canterbury game was on Sky the commentators were talking about where the semi would be played and Crowe I think it was, said something about Taupo not being suitable for the TV crew. Something about no room for scafolding etc.
The problem wasn't that there was no room for the scaffolding... it was just that there wasn't enough time to get it built (not for the semi-final, anyway).

Prior to the pitch problems at Hamilton, Taupo hadn't been presented to Sky as an option... hence, no plan had been put into place for television coverage from that particular venue.

If Taupo was to host the final, however, there would have been enough time for Sky to survey the venue and get the camera towers built to the required specification.

Last edited:

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Interesting development this morning that the Wellington Cricket Board is about to sack Vaughan Johnson. One of the reasons is the fact that he failed to risk or give a few more youth players a chance this season.

I wonder if that involves Jesse Ryder not opening the innings at any stage during the season?

Here's the article:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3180587a1823,00.html

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
Do you honestly think Jesse deserves to be opening for wellington? I think he is holding onto his position but the skin of his teeth let alone being thrown into one of the most valuable positions. Plus does Vaughan Johnson do all the selecting and coachinghimself. There should be different people selecting and more than just one.

bryce

International Regular
i'd say some of it could be to do with matthew walker aswell - they could of really done with him this season

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Wellingtons middle order has been rubbish this season. None of them have put their hand up at all.

It's a big concern when two of the biggest cities in NZ (Auckland & Wellington) really look awful with their cricket at times. And funnily enough both those teams seem to turn a blind-eye when it comes to developing youth players aswell. Although Auckland did bring in Carl Cachopa towards the end of this season.

Perhaps Ryder doesn't deserve to be opening. But I think he seems to be a little confused as to what his role is. IMO Wellington either need to tell him to play his natural game..or not pick him at all because he seems to be a totally different player when he's trying to structure an innings.

bryce

International Regular
interesting that bruce martin has been named in the ND team for tomorrows semi-final - ableit in a 15 man squad, i would still like to see him bowl in the middle overs in tandem with vettori and see how the star-studded canterbury batting line-up approach them

ND_fan

Cricket Spectator
Would be good to see him but it's a bit of a risk I think as he's only played one (I think) Shield game all season. Would he come in for Orchard if he was to play?

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Tim said:
Interesting development this morning that the Wellington Cricket Board is about to sack Vaughan Johnson. One of the reasons is the fact that he failed to risk or give a few more youth players a chance this season.

I wonder if that involves Jesse Ryder not opening the innings at any stage during the season?

Here's the article:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3180587a1823,00.html
Good riddance - he's one of the most arrogant, moody, self-involved people one would meet. Not a particularly good coach either IMO.

Fiery

Banned
Tuffey bowling well here. Canty 25/2 after 10. Astle and Papps both gone. Big chance for Fulton to make a statement here and for Macca to stake his claim.

Fiery

Banned
Peter Fulton sawn off at the knees by the 3rd umpire when the evidence was totally inconclusive. The "benefit of the doubt" doctrine seems to be forgotten these days.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Was about to post something wondering why James Marshall was bowling but then he goes and takes a wicket straight away.

Fiery

Banned
_Ed_ said:
Was about to post something wondering why James Marshall was bowling but then he goes and takes a wicket straight away.
Yeah good call Danny. On the other hand, having McCullum there with McMillan might not be such a good thing for ND.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
McMillan charging Vettori there before playing an awkward cut shot...have seen him get out like that heaps of times for NZ.