• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* NZ Domestic Season

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
N.D are debuting: Alun Evans (County Pro), Anton Devcich, Daniel Flynn, Te Ahu Davis & Brad Wilson.

An extremely green N.D side which could be cause for concern for them.

And yep, Craig Smith will make his debut for Otago.

rogerramjet

Cricket Spectator
Whatever happened to Rob Lawson? He's only 30 and was one of the better performers for Otago last year.

Has he been dropped or is one of these guys who's career outside of cricket has become more of a priority?

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
rogerramjet said:
Whatever happened to Rob Lawson? He's only 30 and was one of the better performers for Otago last year.

Has he been dropped or is one of these guys who's career outside of cricket has become more of a priority?
He retired - he got dropped from a contract a couple of years ago, but came back well over the last season or two. However, he had been playing for Otago since he was 17 and had pretty much had enough.

rogerramjet

Cricket Spectator
Cheers Voltman,

I played cricket with him in CHCH as a young fella. He was pretty outstanding back then. I was wondering what happened to him.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
rogerramjet said:
Cheers Voltman,

I played cricket with him in CHCH as a young fella. He was pretty outstanding back then. I was wondering what happened to him.
I know Turner didn't rate his strikerate in one-dayers, and it took a lot of convincing and a bit of an adjustment in Robbie's game before Turner contemplated him for the one-dayers. To his credit, Robbie did do that. Still a pretty good four-day player, but he gave some good service to Otago, so he's earned his retirement.

bryce

International Regular
Tim said:
N.D are debuting: Alun Evans (County Pro), Anton Devcich, Daniel Flynn, Te Ahu Davis & Brad Wilson.

An extremely green N.D side which could be cause for concern for them.
well one of them will be left out and i hope it's devcich - i don't rate him very highly, it will be good to see how evans gets on because he has said he will come back next year if he's offered a contract - he can't be any worse than llorne howell
joining other county pro batsman graeme hick, ben smith and david sales in playing domestic cricket in new zealand - all of them had reasonable success(notably hick who averaged over 79 for ND)

anzac

International Debutant
Kippax said:
Sounds like How got a good ball from Adams and was caught behind for 13.
Unless you've got an irresistable case we all know the BCs lean towards 'the devil they know' (e.g. McMillan), so with How no longer the flavour of the month, things have to be leaning heavily in Papps' favour.

Surely they won't consider Vincent as a test opener again, will they? When I saw Wellington using Woodcock as a makeshift opener rather than Fleming opting for some practice in the role, I was tempted to rule out the skipper leading from the front in Rigor's absence. Interesting that Sinclair is no longer opening for CD though, so figure that one out.

If I was forced to bet $1000 on the test top 8 to start the 5 tests in March/April, I guess it would now be something like this (second choice in brackets):

Papps
Fleming (How)
Sinclair (Fleming)
Styris (Sinclair)
Astle
Oram
McCullum
Vettori
It's a concern that neither Flem nor Sinclair are spending any time Opening in domestic cricket - hardly the sort of preparation for AUS IMO..............

further more while I agree with your comments re the BC selectors approach, I still can't see why Papps would warrant selection ahead of How on form this season..............my vote so far would go to Cumming...........not that I think he'll get the nod..........

When I saw that Braces was considering Flem to Open, I was thinking along the lines of..........

Fleming
Sinclair
Vincent / How / Cumming / Fulton
Styris
Astle
Oram

but with that I'd like to see a 6th genuine batsman ahead of Oram, and if they did that I'd suppose they'd find a way to have Macca back in the side.........

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Peter Fulton has raced to 105* from just 109 balls v C.D today.

He's hit 21 fours & a six so far.
He desperately needed an innings like this...it's great to see him back in form.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't want to see How batting in the middle order. He's an opener & that's what he should be doing for NZ.

shaka

International Regular
Score in Canterbury v CD: Canty 163/2, Fulton on 117 not out.
other game: Otago 116/3 against ND.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
crickey said:
voltman...are you actually the 'voltman' mascot?? you are arent you!!
"WAS", crickey, "WAS" - note the past tense...

:p

Did it for the 2001/02 and 2002/03 season.

I'll never get that time back.

:laugh:

crickey

Cricket Spectator
southern man said:
There are a couple of decent young seem bowlers down here in Craig Smith and Matt Harvie. Harvie has already played for Otago and has a contract, while Smith will probarbly get a go this season with a few other up and comers.
Im sorry but matt harvie is pants!!! he is lazy and doesnt really give a hoot!! he may have got a contract but turner was running out of options and in case you havent noticed hes not getting any airtime!!...hes got nothing!!!

crickey

Cricket Spectator
beare is about the only one that is getting runs...otago pitches arent doing anything for club cricket batsman...at least hes entertaining on the field

crickey

Cricket Spectator
Tim said:
Sheed might have turned the corner this season...he's been impressive for Otago 'A' & for once he's converted a good score for Otago against a pretty good Canterbury side.

TELL HIM HES DREAMIN!!

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Well we can all live in hope, but you're probably right.

Looks like he's back to his awful best.

Ming

State 12th Man
Great to see Fulton back in form again with a big knock, if he continues this form he could be an outside chance for the Test 3 spot.

ND_fan

Cricket Spectator
Anyone know anything about Brad Wilson?? Scored 96 today against Otago before getting bolwled and I can't find any info. on him anywhere.