• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* NZ Domestic Season

bryce

International Regular
certainly it seems macca does not have a good attitude, but he has captained NZ and they don't let any old person do that - he must also have decent cricketing brain and posess some good qualities for captaincy

Will Scarlet

U19 Debutant
Hopefully Fulton, Papps, Ryder, and Franklin can get into some form in the next few rounds. The first three have been disappointing so far.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Behind the wickets, i'd have Parore as keeper. Jeff Crowe, Fleming & Coney in the slip cordon.
Point i'd have Chris Harris....but apart from that I couldn't select the other positions. In recent times, we've had fast bowlers who can field exceptionally well...Tuffey, Mills, Oram etc.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Im going to be away from tommorow but im going to pick a few stand-out players over the next couple of State Shield rounds:

- Craig McMillan
- Michael Mason
- Jeff Wilson
- Jesse Ryder

I cannot believe that Wellington are opening with Michael Parlane when they've got Ryder in their lineup.

sportychic33

State 12th Man
um best fielding line up. . .

McCullum - Wicket keeper
Cairns - Mid Wicket
Mills - Long leg or deep extra cover (somewhere on the boundary)
Flem - 1st Slip
Styris - 2nd Slip
Oram - Gully
Marshall - Backward Point
Tuffey - On the Boundary
Harry - Point

Sorry, probably not well placed - but i can't think very well at the moment (holidays :P). Need 1 more fielder. . .. Kent, Bryce, Tim any ideas?

bryce

International Regular
personally i think all of the new zealand team are good fielders, the worst is probaly vettori and he isn't that bad he's just quite unco

bryce

International Regular
sportychic33 said:
um best fielding line up. . .

McCullum - Wicket keeper
Cairns - Mid Wicket
Mills - Long leg or deep extra cover (somewhere on the boundary)
Flem - 1st Slip
Styris - 2nd Slip
Oram - Gully
Marshall - Backward Point
Tuffey - On the Boundary
Harry - Point

Sorry, probably not well placed - but i can't think very well at the moment (holidays :P). Need 1 more fielder. . .. Kent, Bryce, Tim any ideas?
sinclair isn't half bad in the deep :p

anzac

International Debutant
bryce said:
certainly it seems macca does not have a good attitude, but he has captained NZ and they don't let any old person do that - he must also have decent cricketing brain and posess some good qualities for captaincy
yeah he was actually team vice captain for a while until about the time of the WC from memory.................& I think it was during this time he held the reigns so to speak.............

it was during this time that Macca was seen as being the next best thing in NZL cricket.........

I agree with everything you have said about his abilities - just that I don't think it applies atm re his attitude / approach, & IMO it gives out the wrong sort of signals for both Macca & the other 'precocious' youngsters such as Ryder & Co.............

anzac

International Debutant
bryce said:
personally i think all of the new zealand team are good fielders, the worst is probaly vettori and he isn't that bad he's just quite unco
agreed - as I keep saying IMO NZL are every bit as good in the field in both forms of the game as ANY other team...........

I'd even go so far as to say that our 'depth' of fielding is 2nd to none when you consider the performances of Cairns, Mills, Tuffey, Oram & Vettori...............IMO I don't see the same overall / individual effort / commitment / effectiveness from all the bowlers from AUS, RSA or ENG..........that's not saying that they don't try or anything, just that as a unit I don't feel they contribute as well, particuarly in regard to their ground fielding.................

anzac

International Debutant
so far as 'best' fielders goes.........

I don't know if either McCullum or Parore have the consistancy behind the stumps of either Warren Lees or Ian Smith...........

Mantis was pretty good in the slips, and M Crowe wasn't too shabby a fielder.........& neither was R Hadlee........

but maybe that's just my age showing..............

anzac

International Debutant
there's also the question of 3 good Captains...............
ODIs seemed tailor made for Howarth in the '80s..............
M Crowe was innovative in the '92 WC...........
and Flem seems to have been able to combine the best of both.........

Richard Rash

U19 Cricketer
I was thinking from today it would be both fun and intersting to pick a team of the round for the State Shield e.g. Pick a combined XI from the six teams with the stand out players from each game making the team. I will post my team later today after the games

Macka

U19 Vice-Captain
What do you guys think of NZ's slip/gully fielders compared to other international teams? Personally, I think we have to be up there.

southern man

U19 Cricketer
Wellington vs Otago

Otago has won the toss and will bat. The pitch is expected to get lower as the game goes on.

12th men for Wellington are Ian O'brian and one of the Parlanes.

Otago will take the same team in.

bryce

International Regular
Richard Rash said:
I was thinking from today it would be both fun and intersting to pick a team of the round for the State Shield e.g. Pick a combined XI from the six teams with the stand out players from each game making the team. I will post my team later today after the games
don't think there will be any otago or wellington batsman in it and there will probaly be a couple of wellington bowlers - otago 48/6, jeetan patel of all people 2/1

bryce

International Regular
Otago 127/9(46.2) Todd 46* Patel 3/19(10) v Wellington
ND v Auckland - Abandoned
CD v Canterbury - Abandoned

very disappointed that the two most anticipated matches were washed out and even more disappointing is the way the other match is heading