• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand tour of UAE and England 2023

hazsa19

International Regular
So glad we blocked out 6 weeks of the season for the dullest format. Been some really flat games

ashley bach

Cricketer Of The Year
Hell of a reversal of the form books there by the Black caps, funny old game is T20, certainly makes game 4 at least now have some interest.
Plenty of good individual performances but the most pleasing thing to see was the general sharpness and skill in the field.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm not sure how widely aware people are of how outstandingly consistent Glenn Phillips is.

He is going to another level with how measured yet devastating he can be as a limited overs player. He hasn't failed on this tour yet in a format that failure is a given. His innings this morning, scoring at over 200, was anything but brutal as you'd expect. He just has a few options he knows he can score in, and if it isn't there, he turns strike over as well as anyone and is quicker in running 2s than anyone.

Allen's innings had good moments but especially early it was bludgeoning. Phillips' was controlled and classy

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
That third Sodhi wicket was such a peach: flight, dip and big spin. Yes I know even club leggies will bowl the odd magic ball, but you can't help but think there's more there than Ish has managed to deliver.

That Bairstow dismissal though was classic Sodhi though: stinking long-hop that gets mistimed to the boundary rider.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
I'm not sure how widely aware people are of how outstandingly consistent Glenn Phillips is.

He is going to another level with how measured yet devastating he can be as a limited overs player. He hasn't failed on this tour yet in a format that failure is a given. His innings this morning, scoring at over 200, was anything but brutal as you'd expect. He just has a few options he knows he can score in, and if it isn't there, he turns strike over as well as anyone and is quicker in running 2s than anyone.

Allen's innings had good moments but especially early it was bludgeoning. Phillips' was controlled and classy
Was it you who said Phillips should play all formats and we should build a side around him? Or was that about Foxcroft?

Either way, we should do that with Phillips. He's nearly 27, he could be the counter-attacking bedrock of our sides for a while to come.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
That third Sodhi wicket was such a peach: flight, dip and big spin. Yes I know even club leggies will bowl the odd magic ball, but you can't help but think there's more there than Ish has managed to deliver.

That Bairstow dismissal though was classic Sodhi though: stinking long-hop that gets mistimed to the boundary rider.
Dudes racked up 100 T20Is and is a popular signing worldwide for franchise teams. Reckon he has some skill.

thierry henry

International Coach
How does he have the ‘raw materials’ though? Feels like the equivalent of saying a long drive champion has the ‘raw materials’ to be a top golfer. Allen can bosh a 6 but when has he shown the skills to actually be a good batsman? Being able to select and execute the correct shot to the ball coming at you is like the #1 raw material of batting and I don’t see Allen having it.
You’re all welcome

BOOOOOOOOOOSH

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Was it you who said Phillips should play all formats and we should build a side around him? Or was that about Foxcroft?

Either way, we should do that with Phillips. He's nearly 27, he could be the counter-attacking bedrock of our sides for a while to come.
Yep, would've been me about GP.

I'm telling you, no one works harder or thinks more about his game. He works his arse off,lives and breathes batting, it's all he wants to be good at. He is a really intelligent cricketer. Will never be, or want to be, a captain, but you can always trust him to adapt to the format and situation, and bat accordingly. You say he's a counter attacker and he can be, but he can bat time, too. Very adept at turning strike over. Plus is an incredible fielder and energetic presence.

I don't want us to bother with his bowling, either, just let the guy score runs and win games for NZ

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year

Phillips is one of the best t20I bat's in the world, has been since that home series vs the windies where he made his maiden hundred. Doesn't get nearly enough credit for carrying this NZ outfit on his back.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Appoint either GP or Conway as T20 skipper so we can field our best XI & bowling line-up. Milne should have played over Southee today, but with Timmy skipper they have to play him.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
You’re all welcome

BOOOOOOOOOOSH
I don't think you're wrong just yet...I watched his whole innings and raw power + a bit of luck is saving him on occasion, so your long drive analogy works. Like the long drive champ, some days he'll drive it straight and score well, but he's still more likely to hit it in the deep rough at the moment. Hopefully today is a marker for him that he doesn't have to start out crazy, he can catch up if he allows himself to get in for the first few overs. He had 20 off 22 balls at one stage this morning, which isn't ideal but he didn't get out, he didn't do anything unduly stupid

He deservedly got the plaudits but GP's innings was better.