• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official** New Zealand in England

PY

International Coach
tooextracool said:
looking at what martin and oram are getting out of the relatively new ball, it makes me come back to trescos decision of bowling with the old ball yesterday......doesnt look like runs are flowing off the bat now does it?
It should be pointed out that the last 2 morning sessions have been dominated by the bowling side due to the conditions.

tooextracool

International Coach
PY said:
It should be pointed out that the last 2 morning sessions have been dominated by the bowling side due to the conditions.
it should also be pointed out that NZ had the better of yesterday's morning session right until the last 15-20 mins. 2 of those wickets fell due to poor batting rather than good bowling.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Whatever happens, this match has been a fantastic advertisement for test cricket. It's unbelievably tense at the moment..it could still go either way.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
There has been a fair amount of meek dismissals off poor bowling..but that has also been due to pressure building up & players giving their wickets up rather easily.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I still believe England are slight favourites to win at this stage.

If England get to 200 with only 3 or 4 wickets down, it would be extremely tough for NZ to claw their way back. NZ HAS to have England at least 200/6 I believe.

tooextracool

International Coach
Tim said:
I still believe England are slight favourites to win at this stage.

If England get to 200 with only 3 or 4 wickets down, it would be extremely tough for NZ to claw their way back. .
easier said than done....its 50/2 right now not 150/2

Tim said:
NZ HAS to have England at least 200/6 I believe.
although the pitch is playing at its worst ATM with its uneven bounce and rough patches outside the left handers off stump.

Strauss could really cement his spot in one game with a good second innings performance in this particular match. Not for any reason that stands out by itself, but it seems to me that he's played with such composure beyond his experience at this level.

Mind you, Michael Clarke had a massive start to his ODI career and that hasn't quite followed up.

PY

International Coach
Even with 200/6, if Freddie is still in..........England definitely still have a chance. Too unpredictable though.

I'm inclined to agree though, 6 wickets in hand at 200 would make things very difficult for New Zealand to come back.

tooextracool

International Coach
Gaijin-san said:
Strauss could really cement his spot in one game with a good second innings performance in this particular match. Not for any reason that stands out by itself, but it seems to me that he's played with such composure beyond his experience at this level.
assuming vaughan is fit for the next test who would you drop though?the selectors are completely against dropping tresco, hussain hasnt done too badly in this test and unless there are thoughts of going in with an all seam attack at headingly and playing the extra batsman its hard to figure out whos going to miss out in the long run

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I reckon that if NZ can get Strauss & Thorpe out before lunch, that will really boost them..not to say that Hussain's wicket wouldn't though.

Loony BoB

International Captain
I imagine Thorpe needs to do something if he wants to stay in the side, because I haven't seen him more than a few times in the entire game so far. Butcher's scores aren't doing him any favours, either - he's scored less than Hussain and Hussain has done some important fielding to boost his chances of making the next test. I imagine if Thorpe doesn't get anything this innings then the two of them would be lucky to make the XI for the next test, much in the same way that Styris and McMillan will be.

tooextracool said:
assuming vaughan is fit for the next test who would you drop though?the selectors are completely against dropping tresco, hussain hasnt done too badly in this test and unless there are thoughts of going in with an all seam attack at headingly and playing the extra batsman its hard to figure out whos going to miss out in the long run
Justify dropping Strauss, right now.

Andre

International Regular
Loony BoB said:
I imagine Thorpe needs to do something if he wants to stay in the side, because I haven't seen him more than a few times in the entire game so far. Butcher's scores aren't doing him any favours, either - he's scored less than Hussain and Hussain has done some important fielding to boost his chances of making the next test. I imagine if Thorpe doesn't get anything this innings then the two of them would be lucky to make the XI for the next test, much in the same way that Styris and McMillan will be.
Some people don't learn - you don't drop proven performers like Butcher and Thorpe because of 1 poor match. It's laughable - they are the backbone of the side.

PY

International Coach
Andre said:
Some people don't learn - you don't drop proven performers like Butcher and Thorpe because of 1 poor match. It's laughable - they are the backbone of the side.
Who to drop though???

You must forgive Andre, he worships Butcher almost as much as he does Mark Waugh. :p

tooextracool

International Coach
Gaijin-san said:
Justify dropping Strauss, right now.
i never said strauss should be dropped....hes been the best english batsman in the match and the most promising english players in quite a while.
im just wondering who the ECB are going to drop to keep strauss in the side....i would drop tresco regardless of his 80 but i dont think they would do that.

Well, on the plus side, at least its a good selection dilemma. Only months ago, England were desperate for performers. Its good that they are having problems because so many people are pushing for it.