• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official** New Zealand in England

PY

International Coach
GAME ON. :cool2:

Astle goes for 49. Harmison strikes twice in 2 overs. I thought they were going far too defensive but I stand corrected.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
PY said:
GAME ON. :cool2:

Astle goes for 49. Harmison strikes twice in 2 overs. I thought they were going far too defensive but I stand corrected.
Don't stand corrected. This has been abject cowardice and/or captaincy on Trescothick's (and England's) part. England do not think that they can win this game, yet New Zealand are as yet less than 250 ahead.

I could almost hear Trescothick saying 'what be'd you do that for, moi lovely, oo arr'? to Harmison when he took the wickets.

PY

International Coach
I was thinking along the same lines with the cowardice part. He (or someone in power) doesn't trust our batsman to be able to bat through 3 and a half sessions which is slightly worrying.

Vettori goes with another good catch from Jones. I agree with you that his general work has been far from brilliant but he has done the job when required ie edges have not been dropped. Is it a concentration problem rather than a technical problem?

tooextracool

International Coach
chicane said:
Anyone here who was watching Formula 1 instead of the cricket?
yea fascinating monaco grand prix and thank god schumi finally didnt finish!!
back to the cricket...
this is pathetic stuff from the england captain/management......
the new ball has been due for 30 overs and yet england havent taken it,giles hasnt looked like taking a wicket since lunch yet hes bowled 36 overs on the trot(and is still bowling btw) and simon jones, our best bowler all day should have bowled immediately after lunch but instead he barely got 3 overs in the post lunch session.
the genius who came up with the idea of not taking the new ball should've been shot let alone the guy who thought about bowling giles continuosly since lunch.

PY

International Coach
Yep, no partner for Cairns and Trescothick has reacted in kind as field gets spread.

It seems a genius decision not to take the new ball now because Cairns now has to hit a sponge for six instead of a new cherry.

tooextracool

International Coach
PY said:
Yep, no partner for Cairns and Trescothick has reacted in kind as field gets spread.

It seems a genius decision not to take the new ball now because Cairns now has to hit a sponge for six instead of a new cherry.
when they could've taken the new ball 30 overs ago and perhaps had it all wrapped up by now. we should have been looking to win the game not making sure that we dont lose!

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
There's always the possibility that it's extremely clever captaincy, almost a double-bluff. Dry up the runs, you know that New Zealand are desperate for runs. Defensive fields, they take chances, Steve Wayward-Harmison produces one of his greatest-ever spells on-cue. New Zealand throw their wickets away, not having the luxury of 'free' runs from a nice, shiny, hard cherry-like new ball.

If you believe that, you will believe anything.

tooextracool

International Coach
PY said:
Finally Richardson is out. He may well be England's nemesis this series.

I hope this shuts his critics the hell up. Journos were rude to him the other day beyond belief. :mad:
wasnt richard one of his detractors? from what i remember he said that richardson would struggle on his tour to england....well further reason why we wont see richard on here again.

Loony BoB

International Captain
You could say Richardson has struggled - most of the batsmen seem to be struggling. Some of them just struggle better than others! Well, at least today with the swinging ball.

tooextracool

International Coach
luckyeddie said:
There's always the possibility that it's extremely clever captaincy, almost a double-bluff. Dry up the runs, you know that New Zealand are desperate for runs. Defensive fields, they take chances, Steve Wayward-Harmison produces one of his greatest-ever spells on-cue. New Zealand throw their wickets away, not having the luxury of 'free' runs from a nice, shiny, hard cherry-like new ball.

If you believe that, you will believe anything.
and the point of giving jones,our best bowler of the day, 3 overs in the post lunch session at the end of the session was?
and how do you explain the reason why giles is still bowling when clearly we need to finish the tail of with one of our strike bowlers?

PY

International Coach
tooextracool said:
wasnt richard one of his detractors? from what i remember he said that richardson would struggle on his tour to england....well further reason why we wont see richard on here again.
I personally hope he returns because his opinions were always worth a discussion. :)

PY

International Coach
And a swipe which would have sailed into the Grandstand with a new ball lands in Butcher's hands.

I don't think it's been as a bad a decision as you have been making out.

tooextracool

International Coach
Loony BoB said:
You could say Richardson has struggled - most of the batsmen seem to be struggling. Some of them just struggle better than others! Well, at least today with the swinging ball.
dont be ridiculous.....fact is that simon jones bowled a brilliant spell of fast bowling not because the pitch just suddenly started to started to offer him more seam movement.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
tooextracool said:
when they could've taken the new ball 30 overs ago and perhaps had it all wrapped up by now. we should have been looking to win the game not making sure that we dont lose!
Would they have had an extra 50 runs, though?

tooextracool

International Coach
PY said:
And a swipe which would have sailed into the Grandstand with a new ball lands in Butcher's hands.

I don't think it's been as a bad a decision as you have been making out.
the new ball would've offered a lot more to the fast bowlers(who were the ones doing the damage in this test match). fact is that we had them in a real spot of bother, 5 wickets down and astle who is always susceptible early on at one end. why in the world would you bowl giles at him?

tooextracool

International Coach
luckyeddie said:
Would they have had an extra 50 runs, though?
because mark richardson would've smacked us around the park?
astle is susceptible against pace bowlers early on and AFAIC we would have been batting by now with a lot fewer runs to chase.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
tooextracool said:
and the point of giving jones,our best bowler of the day, 3 overs in the post lunch session at the end of the session was?
and how do you explain the reason why giles is still bowling when clearly we need to finish the tail of with one of our strike bowlers?
points at TEC, laughs

Don't worry, I don't understand what's happening either, but I'm beginning to think that (just maybe) it's the best captaincy I've seen in years.

Or Tresco's the jammiest skipper ever.

PY

International Coach
They didn't have the choice of the new ball until Astle had been in for 10 overs. And Giles has taken 3 wickets.

tooextracool

International Coach
luckyeddie said:
points at TEC, laughs

Don't worry, I don't understand what's happening either, but I'm beginning to think that (just maybe) it's the best captaincy I've seen in years.

Or Tresco's the jammiest skipper ever.
so why exactly is giles bowling right now?to prevent martin and tuffey from smashing our fast bowlers around the park?