• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official** New Zealand in England

tooextracool

International Coach
PY said:
They didn't have the choice of the new ball until Astle had been in for 10 overs. And Giles has taken 3 wickets.
2 of them came before lunch and as far as im concerned his job should have been done right after the 80 over mark.

tooextracool

International Coach
luckyeddie said:
points at TEC, laughs

Don't worry, I don't understand what's happening either, but I'm beginning to think that (just maybe) it's the best captaincy I've seen in years.

Or Tresco's the jammiest skipper ever.
to me it appears as though we were trying to make sure we dont lose instead of going for the win.
and if you believe that not bowling simon jones in the post lunch session when he is really our best bowler with the old ball was the right move then you'll believe anything as well

PY

International Coach
Now, however, I don't understand why we are still using the crap ball.

Although Jones is still getting inswing with a ball that is 118 overs old.

Last edited:

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
tooextracool said:
so why exactly is giles bowling right now?to prevent martin and tuffey from smashing our fast bowlers around the park?
Now, that one was easy. He had taken a wicket in his previous over. When the tail-enders took a few singles off him, Trescothick took him off.

The reason Giles bowled today (35 overs unchanged) was to completely dry up an end - and in that he succeeded admirably, going for less than 2 an over and picking up 3 wickets.

tooextracool

International Coach
PY said:
Now, however, I don't understand why we are still using the crap ball.

Although Jones is still getting inswing with a ball that is 118 overs old.
which is why he should have bowled after lunch!
118.3 SP Jones to Martin, (noball) no run, fuller ball, tries to play it
on the onside, misses the line and ball smashed the middle stump,
unfourtunately it was a no ball

seems like some off flintoff's luck is rubbing off on jones

tooextracool

International Coach
luckyeddie said:
The reason Giles bowled today (35 overs unchanged) was to completely dry up an end - and in that he succeeded admirably, going for less than 2 an over and picking up 3 wickets.
right so that we can play for the draw....5 wickets down, mark richardson at one end, why on earth would you be looking to dry up one end???

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
tooextracool said:
right so that we can play for the draw....5 wickets down, mark richardson at one end, why on earth would you be looking to dry up one end???
When those players you hate do well, does it hurt you as much as you seem to make out?

Using the tactics you were advocating, New Zealand had marched on to 134-1 overnight. The same approach this morning and they made it to 180-1.

Then some unconventional (for England) tactics were applied, and they took the last 9 wickets for 154 (could have been for 133 if Jones had taken that catch).

What you want to be able to do is to take the bit in the middle where New Zealand got on top again (and who's to say that Richardson and Astle wouldn't have found things even easier against an all-seam attack?), that 80-odd sixth wicket partnership, and somehow get rid of it, yet expect the rest of the innings to take its normal course.

It doesn't work like that, more's the pity. Giles bowled magnificently to Astle a player who loves to free his arms.

What tactics do you think Trescothick and Strauss ought to adopt tonight?

Loony BoB

International Captain
Only once before has England scored over 218 in the last innings to win a match against NZ in twelve games, in Christchurch, 96/97 season. In England, the highest successful 4th innings by an English squad is that 218, back in 1965 at Lords. They scored 211 to win in 1999 at Birmingham - in fact, they have only done such a feat six times in England.

96/1 - Birmingham, 1965
218/3 - Lords, 1965
138/2 - The Oval, 1969
138/3 - The Oval, 1978
118/3 - Lords, 1978
211/3 - Birmingham, 1999

At the other end of the scale, of course, NZ have only won four matches in England and only in one of them was England batting last, where England scored 162 all out at The Oval in 1999.

My money would be on England breaking their record and making the 282 runs, unless (and I would love for it to happen) New Zealand can pick up the same kind of swing that England did. Which I have no idea if they're capable of doing because I'm still learning about swing as we spe- er, type.

tooextracool

International Coach
luckyeddie said:
Using the tactics you were advocating, New Zealand had marched on to 134-1 overnight. The same approach this morning and they made it to 180-1.
Then some unconventional (for England) tactics were applied, and they took the last 9 wickets for 154 (could have been for 133 if Jones had taken that catch).
jones bowling was in no way unconventional....it was simply a remarkable spell that allowed giles to settle down at the other end. AFAIC neither of those 2 giles wickets were "good" deliveries, the first was a mistake on the batsman's part of turning his wrists just a little to early and the second was just pathetic strokeplay-a wild slog from a person who had only played 1 ball before that(yes he deserves to be dropped for that).

luckyeddie said:
What you want to be able to do is to take the bit in the middle where New Zealand got on top again (and who's to say that Richardson and Astle wouldn't have found things even easier against an all-seam attack?), that 80-odd sixth wicket partnership, and somehow get rid of it, yet expect the rest of the innings to take its normal course.
no the wickets fell not because giles had managed to stop the run flow because 1) richardson was hardly affected by it, and 2) because both those wickets werent shots of frustration..... they were 2 good balls from harmison.

luckyeddie said:
What tactics do you think Trescothick and Strauss ought to adopt tonight?
it will be interesting to see if tresco and strauss come out playing aggressively tomorrow or look to bat through the first session and build a platform before the flintoffs and jones' can go on the attack.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
PY said:
Finally Richardson is out. He may well be England's nemesis this series.

I hope this shuts his critics the hell up. Journos were rude to him the other day beyond belief. :mad:

Although technically he only scored 99... ;)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
tooextracool said:
simon jones, our best bowler all day should have bowled immediately after lunch but instead he barely got 3 overs in the post lunch session.
Pretty hard to bowl when he was off the field though.

tooextracool said:
the genius who came up with the idea of not taking the new ball should've been shot let alone the guy who thought about bowling giles continuosly since lunch.
I think it was the right idea actually - harder for the hitters in the New Zealand side to score in their usual manner - look at Cairns for one, 2 edged fours and then holes out...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
PY said:
They didn't have the choice of the new ball until Astle had been in for 10 overs. And Giles has taken 3 wickets.
Whilst simultaneously keeping it very tight indeed.

I can understand criticism when he's hit all over the par, but now there seems to be critics when he bowls 35 overs straight through for less than 2 an over and 3 wickets!

He was bowling to a plan, and by golly it worked.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
tooextracool said:
jones bowling was in no way unconventional....it was simply a remarkable spell that allowed giles to settle down at the other end. AFAIC neither of those 2 giles wickets were "good" deliveries, the first was a mistake on the batsman's part of turning his wrists just a little to early and the second was just pathetic strokeplay-a wild slog from a person who had only played 1 ball before that(yes he deserves to be dropped for that).

You sound more like Richard every day.

He had similar views about bowlers he didn't like taking wickets.

anzac

International Debutant
tooextracool said:
and macca goes too...giles strikes twice!!!
ridiculous shot from mcmillan, first ball he comes dancing down the track and next ball he tries to smash him out of the park.
and how many times have we said that in recent times!!!!!!!!

still I suppose he tried something different to the 53 mins for 6 runs 1st innings effort - as someone noted at the time - it would appear he is an agricultural batsman.............

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Loony BoB said:
My money would be on England breaking their record and making the 282 runs, unless (and I would love for it to happen) New Zealand can pick up the same kind of swing that England did. Which I have no idea if they're capable of doing because I'm still learning about swing as we spe- er, type.

I'm not sure if any of the New Zealander's possess the ability to swing it - although Martin did get a few to move yesterday.

IMO Vettori is the key man, but, like GIles, he's low on confidence...

Either way I'm happy as I took 4-1 England and 3-1 New Zealand at Tea today - odds on a draw are now 100-30, so I could conceivably back that as well and be guaranteed to win! :)

anzac

International Debutant
as I understand it Martin can get a little bit of swing in the right overhead conditions - from memory this contributed to his 2nd morning success v RSA.......

when on song he has a rep as a v good bowler to lefties.............one of the reasons as to why he got the recall v RSA..........and hence why I keep asking about his release & seam position..............

the only genuine 'swing' bowler in the NZL squad is Mills...........