• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official** New Zealand in England

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
nooooooo, poor bugger. This is extremely tense test cricket.

I feel extremely sorry for him, he came out under pressure from his 1st innings effort & played a great knock..he deserved a century, but not to be in the end.

Last edited:

tooextracool

International Coach
and macca goes too...giles strikes twice!!!
ridiculous shot from mcmillan, first ball he comes dancing down the track and next ball he tries to smash him out of the park.

Revelation

U19 Debutant
aarrrggghhhh.....what's wrong with NZ???????

I hope that Cairns, Oram and Richardson can rebuild and posta good enough total to at least draw or beat England.

Loony BoB

International Captain
Revelation said:

I hope that Cairns, Oram and Richardson can rebuild and posta good enough total to at least draw or beat England.
Can't forget Astle... it would be so nice to have Astle in right now, too... I miss the fella up the order.

EDIT: Are the NZ bowlers capable of good swing, and does it last? Swing bowling is something I've never really taken the time to understand, for some reason...

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It is quite worrying that Fleming and Styris share the title of third highest scorer with a whopping 4...

The only 2 batsmen to reach double figures so far have got 70* and 96 respectively. Without those 2 scores the scoreboard looks quite abysmal.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Revelation said:

Nothing's wrong with New Zealand at all - they have just been undone in the last half hour by some quite fantastic bowling. Jones has been, in this spell, as unplayable as Waqar or Wasim in their pomp. Giles should buy him a beer tonight.

(don't read anything else into what I'm saying)

Pressure can do some quite amazing things. Lunch can't come soon enough for New Zealand.

Loony BoB

International Captain
Hmmm... makes me think. Noting Styris and McMillan's scores, what do you guys think of Papps' chances of opening in the second test? I don't think he will, but the low scores of those two can only be considered favourable to his chances.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Jones has been bowling superbly, unlucky not to get a couple more wickets. He bowled a delivery to Richardson just before lunch which clipped the stumps but failed to dislodge the bails. :wacko:

I like Mark Richardson. Probably one of very few players you can look at playing so slowly and still like him. I like to watch him because he's got so very little talent, but he fights like a true bloody ANZAC.

tooextracool

International Coach
Loony BoB said:
Hmmm... makes me think. Noting Styris and McMillan's scores, what do you guys think of Papps' chances of opening in the second test? I don't think he will, but the low scores of those two can only be considered favourable to his chances.
i think fleming is out of position here......if i were a NZ selector i would pick papps without a thought for the next test and get fleming to bat at 3 or 4.
i was truly disgusted with the way mcmillan batted today,quite simply an appalling display.

tooextracool

International Coach
Adamc said:
Jones has been bowling superbly, unlucky not to get a couple more wickets. He bowled a delivery to Richardson just before lunch which clipped the stumps but failed to dislodge the bails. :wacko:
i think the fact that he bowled with giles at the other end and still managed to keep things quiet makes his performance all the more remarkable....pity though that giles has taken more wickets than him so far. jones might just have saved giles from being axed.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
tooextracool said:
i think the fact that he bowled with giles at the other end and still managed to keep things quiet makes his performance all the more remarkable....pity though that giles has taken more wickets than him so far. jones might just have saved giles from being axed.
On the contrary - I think the pair complemented one another on this occasion.

Giles gets plenty of stick from me, but not on this occasion. Jones had every New Zealander desperate to get away from him, tied up in knots and totally unable to lay bat on ball. At the other end, you had Giles bowling - and the natural thing is for the batsmen to try to attack him - not because they wanted to but because they felt they had to - and that's a recipe for trouble. He could EASILY have had another wicket too.

Boycott spoke on day 2 (I think) about bowling partnerships being every bit as important as batting ones - and for an hour leading up until lunch, this was a classic case in point.

Saying that, I'm still not sure about Giles saving his bacon for Headingley. Who else makes way for Vaughan - Strauss?

Loony BoB

International Captain
We'll have to see how Hussein and Thorpe play in the next match - if Giles grabs two more wickets and Thorpe gets another duck, I imagine the batsman would be a tad nervous.

EDIT: I really hope the NZ bowlers can manage something like what the English are doing... if they can't... :(

Last edited: