• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official** New Zealand in England

Kent

State 12th Man
anzac said:
what was his seam position & release like?????

a telltale sign regarding if he is still struggling re Duke balls...........

if he gets it right I'd have no problems with wanting both he & Bond to try & forge a twin strike partnership...............as we know both can & have taken wickets...........

we were quick to sing his praises after RSA so I'd not be so quick to discard him after 1 bad day at the office...........

who knows he may be an example of 'horses for courses' type selections and may be unable to come to grips with the Dukes - much like some m/cycle racers can not come to grips with different type manufacturers - (hence the end of a promising int career for Simon Crafar)........

:unsure:
Going down the pitch, the seam rotation looked as good as it did back in March. After watching a bit more on the highlights package, clearly something has gone wrong though.

From being very tidy in the high 130's against SA he was bowling as low as 76mph(120) late in the day. Hardly any movement, balls often not carrying to McCullum, half-volleys being crashed through the covers....he either can't find a rythym on the slope, or perhaps doesn't like the way the ball feels in his hand.

It's been depressing how much better England's bowlers look on this type of wicket, perhaps Hoggard excluded. It sounds like it was just a good spell of weather rather than tactical preparation, but England couldn't have asked for a better pitch to make the most of Shane Bond's absence.

Of course the Basin Reserve also prepared a "get out what you put in" pitch this season that suited those who hit the deck a bit harder, and Bracewell and Styris verbally challenged them about it. ;)

Last edited:

Craig

World Traveller
Andre said:
Well done Andy Strauss!!!

100 on Test debut - at Lords. Take a bow. Here's hoping England have unearthed something special.
Trescothick saved himself by making an 80-0dd, when he gets going he can be pretty entertaining of a batsman.

Robert Key has been in execellent form of late and Vaughan is a certainty (apart from being skipper of course) when he is fit, then Strauss making a ton.

I presume somebody is going to tell me Andrew Flintoff has been as per usual England's best bowler?

Neil Pickup

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Jones, Flintoff and Harmison (on the second morning) were all impressive.

Martin's seam position has seemed alright to me... just the ball has hardly swung, and when it has it's been a long way past the bat before it did.

His radar's also been pretty hopeless both in terms of line and length.. I was looking forward to seeing him bowl after what he did to SA and it's been a (fairly pleasing) letdown.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Craig said:
Trescothick saved himself by making an 80-0dd, when he gets going he can be pretty entertaining of a batsman.
Saved himself?!

From what exactly?

He's about as likely to lose his place as I am to take it if he was dropped, and it's always been like that - an average of 40+ isn't too bad.

Craig said:
Robert Key has been in execellent form of late and Vaughan is a certainty (apart from being skipper of course) when he is fit, then Strauss making a ton.
But Trescothick is the proven player who has a proven partnership with Vaughan (5th most runs as a partnership for England)

Craig said:
I presume somebody is going to tell me Andrew Flintoff has been as per usual England's best bowler?
Not even going to bother any more since even when presented with half a dozen people telling you that you'll choose to ignore it and look at his vastly unflattering average (which is incidentally coming down all the time, a fact you fail to acknowledge)

a massive zebra

International Captain
marc71178 said:
Saved himself?!

From what exactly?

He's about as likely to lose his place as I am to take it if he was dropped, and it's always been like that - an average of 40+ isn't too bad.
He has been in terrible form recently as his abysmal technique was exposed. Im sure his average will continue to fall as time goes on. Until the last Test against the West Indies where he made 80, he had gone for about a dozen innings without a 50 and his place was really called into question.

marc71178 said:
But Trescothick is the proven player who has a proven partnership with Vaughan (5th most runs as a partnership for England).
They had just one good opening partnership in two series (West Indies and Sri Lanka), to go with about 12 failures. Not good enough.

marc71178 said:
Not even going to bother any more since even when presented with half a dozen people telling you that you'll choose to ignore it and look at his vastly unflattering average (which is incidentally coming down all the time, a fact you fail to acknowledge)
It is obvious to anyone who watches him regularly that he is now a much better bowler than ever before, but thats not exactly difficult and in the last 12 months he only has 30 Test wickets at an average of 37. An improvement, but nothing special at all.

PY

International Coach
Hoggard gone. He was a 'nuisance' to the New Zealanders but he definitely did a good job for England.

Thorpe and Hussain, the old guard. :)

James

Cricket Web Owner
Another wicket - Hussain clean bowled :)

What is it with Boycott and Fred Trueman? He seems to mention him everytime he's in commentary :D

sportychic33

State 12th Man
What's going on with Sky TV here in New Zealand? They played rugby league which has nothing to do with NZ on Sky Sports 11 when they could be having cricket on

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
James said:
Another wicket - Hussain clean bowled :)

What is it with Boycott and Fred Trueman? He seems to mention him everytime he's in commentary :D
Partially to do with the fact that Fred Trueman is one of the greatest bowlers of all time, but also one of the most approachable, quotable and entertaining characters there ever was.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
sportychic33 said:
What's going on with Sky TV here in New Zealand? They played rugby league which has nothing to do with NZ on Sky Sports 11 when they could be having cricket on
It's entirely personal.

Everyone else on your street is watching the cricket, but Sky are beaming the rugby directly to your house only in order to upset you.

It's not worth watching anyway. New Zealand are on top.

James

Cricket Web Owner
sportychic33 said:
I think you mean the Super 12 Final between Canterbury and ACT ;)

tooextracool

International Coach
a massive zebra said:
I would like to see Trescothick (how can you bat him at 4?) dropped for Ben Smith and Saggers in for Jones/Mahmood. Pieterson should be higher than 6 and Thorpe was best at number 4 - god only knows why he dropped down to 5 although when Fletcher is coach anything within the confines of insanity is possible.
why should jones be dropped?he has shown quite a bit of improvement since the WI tour and hes still not completely match fit.