• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official** New Zealand in England

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Good to England doing well. That said, I expected more from New Zealand. That said, the injuries haven't helped. That said, they should have taken more than 14 and shouldn't have taken an unfit Bond. That's all I have to say.
And say it very well you did. That said, I sounded like Yoda. That said, I didn't really say anything - I just went 'tap tap tap' on my keyboard. That said, all right officer, I'll come quietly.

Loony BoB

International Captain
So, anyone dare to make a prediction for NZ's next test squad, given that it's only a few days away? :p This should be interesting. Let us know what you'd want it to be and what you think it'll be... always different with NZ.

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
Loony BoB said:
So, anyone dare to make a prediction for NZ's next test squad, given that it's only a few days away? :p This should be interesting. Let us know what you'd want it to be and what you think it'll be... always different with NZ.
I have to say there couldnt be a WORST possible time to have back to back test matches. Bond is being sent home after this teat, Vettori is out the entire series if he has torn his hamstring, Papps can't hold a bat apparently thats why he couldnt come out to bat this afternoon, the commentators say he will have injections in the morning to try and get the swelling down, McMillian will probably play as its only his little finger thats broken and he played with it damaged in the past. Tuffy still looks a shadow of what we know he is capable of. Nz are praying Oram is fit to bowl but it's looking seriously bad, well...not if you're england :)

Loony BoB

International Captain
At the same time, I'm sure you would have preferred to beat a stronger team. Even I've lost all faith in even a third test victory now, we just don't have the men we should have. I don't like to make excuses, either, and this is just frustrating.

I was looking forward to this series because it would have left little room for debate over who was third in the world. On the brighter side, I suppose a good debate doesn't harm the activity in these forums. :p

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If New Zealand come back to win the third Test - somehow - surely it'll be one of, if not the greatest Test victory ever.

Kent

State 12th Man
Yep, we're officially in tatters.

1) Should Bracewell take the blame for billing Tuffey as the spearhead for the series, then stubbornly playing him when nowhere near full fitness?

2) Rush Bruce Martin in now, or let Wiseman take the heat in an undermanned side against a rampant opposition?

3) If Fleming leaves to get his operation done after the tests as speculated, do you bring in Taylor? If not, who?

4) With Bond going home, who replaces him in the ODI squad? Mason? Franklin? Butler?

Look, this is an absolute basket case. We're going to Bangladesh in a few months - I won't even dare say what I'm thinking.....

Kent

State 12th Man
Loony BoB said:
The soon to be infamous "save the whitewash" XI!

Richardson
Fleming
McCullum
Sinclair
Marshall
Astle
Oram
Cairns
Styris
McMillan
Franklin

Or perhaps more seriously...

Richardson
Fleming
McCullum
Astle
Styris
McMillan
Oram
Cairns
Franklin
Tuffey
Martin

Last edited:

a massive zebra

International Captain
Have been to Saturday and Sunday, here is what I thought of the England players:

Trescothick: You can't really complain after 132 but his technique still sucks and he will struggle against high quality bowling, which has become rare in recent times, leading to and average of over 40. His hand eye co-ordintation is excellent, however, and he has little trouble dominating average bowling attacks. Brilliant catch.

Strauss: Looks a Test player, more composed and better technique than Trescothick. Less likely to go through spells of bad form or to struggle against good bowling. His place should be secure.

Butcher: Didn't do much but he is obviously a quality player despite a poor series so far.

Vaughan: Didn't look in much trouble but failed again as batsman. The captaincy is obviously affecting his batting but he does not seem to be playing badly. It is blindingly obvious that he is not the best or the worst captain in our realm.

Thorpe: Probably England's best batter but looked a long way from his best in a scratchy 34. Maybe needs a rest.

Flintoff: Played a few careless shots early on and was dropped, but eventually hit some big shots in an entertainting 94. Played a typically careless shot to get out. As usual he got himself out rather than the bowler getting him out. Bowled OK but still far from the most dangerous bowler around.

Jones: Looked very nervous in the dressing room but didn't show it on the field. Outscored Flintoff by 2:1 while they were in despite apparently playing sensibly. Technically sound and deserved his hundred. His wicketkeeping still leaves something to be desired.

Giles: Useless as usual with the ball, probably having an affair with Fletcher, for that is the only reason I can find for him being picked at Headingley or anywhere else for that matter. Dreadful fielder. Batted reasonably as usual.

Hoggard: Looked out of form in the first innings but his second innings spell was almost certainly a matchwinner. Relies on confidence and swing too much, not reliable.

Saggers: Two very important wickets in the first innings, bowled better than his figures suggest. Economical in the second innings, but a lack of faith showed in him by Vaughan, Flintoff coming on before him.

Harmison: He was allowed to bowl at the tail in the first innings and his figures were rather flattering. His second innings spell was superb, at times largely unplayable, during which he and Hoggard probably sealed the match for England. Deadly on a boucy pitch.

Last edited:

Loony BoB

International Captain
1) Should Bracewell take the blame for billing Tuffey as the spearhead for the series, then stubbornly playing him when nowhere near full fitness?
That depends on who it was that told him to say that, or if it was him that made the judgement and not someone else.

2) Rush Bruce Martin in now, or let Wiseman take the heat in an undermanned side against a rampant opposition?
Martin over Wiseman by a long, long, long way. Wiseman does not perform in internationals and I'd put both Mills and Mason above Wiseman.

3) If Fleming leaves to get his operation done after the tests as speculated, do you bring in Taylor? If not, who?
If Fleming leaves, I'd like Taylor to come in, yes - but I wouldn't be surprised if they put Sinclair in instead. Cairns, Oram or McMillan will captain.

4) With Bond going home, who replaces him in the ODI squad? Mason? Franklin? Butler?
Preferrably Adams for him, since Adams is better for the ODI's than Butler by a long way. Butler will just bowl the ball wide of the stumps at a high speed, and will get hit for a very quick unstoppable four too many times.

Langeveldt

Soutie
a massive zebra said:
Thorpe: Probably England's best batter but looked a long way from his best in a scratchy 34. Maybe needs a rest.

Giles: Useless as usual with the ball, probably having an affair with Fletcher, for that is the only reason I can find for him being picked at Headingley or anywhere else for that matter. Dreadful fielder. Batted reasonably as usual.

Thorpe - Disagree, I thought he was batting very well on a pretty awful wicket.. Pounced on the bad ball, his driving was magnificent.. probably made to look scratchy sometimes by the ball darting around..
Definitely doesnt need resting! He has had enough of that in recent years.

Giles - I think it's Vaughan he is having the affair with I'm afraid.. 8-)

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Ah, Daniel Giles and Ashley Vettori. Becoming harder and harder to tell them apart - although one's got a pulled or torn hammy and the other one's just lame.

I'm not sure what the alternative is - you need someone to take the pace off the ball on occasion, someone to give the pacemen a break too, someone to be a contrast. Collingwood? Let Vaughan handle the twirly stuff himself?

Anyone got Tuffers' phone number?

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
Langeveldt said:
Thorpe - Disagree, I thought he was batting very well on a pretty awful wicket.. Pounced on the bad ball, his driving was magnificent.. probably made to look scratchy sometimes by the ball darting around..
Definitely doesnt need resting! He has had enough of that in recent years.

Giles - I think it's Vaughan he is having the affair with I'm afraid.. 8-)
I still think we need to put Batty in! he's consistantly getting wickets for Worcestershire, yes his few tests so far havent set the world alight but people do need time to settle in!

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
SpaceMonkey said:
I still think we need to put Batty in! he's consistantly getting wickets for Worcestershire, yes his few tests so far havent set the world alight but people do need time to settle in!
Oh, darn. Now you'll set Chris off - and we'll have Kabir in for Hoggard.:D

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
MoxPearl said:
Can someone tell me what the next pitch will be like ? it better not be like this.. cause this pitch is more than terrible..

*** Points out the India series in NZ just over 18 months ago ***

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Loony BoB said:
So, anyone dare to make a prediction for NZ's next test squad, given that it's only a few days away? :p

Anyone qualified to play for NZ who isn't injured has a shout of playing!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Loony BoB said:
I was looking forward to this series because it would have left little room for debate over who was third in the world.

To be fair the First Test side wasn't that bad though...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
a massive zebra said:
Saggers: Two very important wickets in the first innings, bowled better than his figures suggest. Economical in the second innings, but a lack of faith showed in him by Vaughan, Flintoff coming on before him.

Would it have more to do with the end that the bowler was coming onto?

If Saggers is set to bowl from an end and it's the other that needs a bowler, surely it makes sense to put the other man on?

Beth

Cricket Spectator
If you're considering a team you need to evaluate your ooposition accordingly. If for example a team is to be selected against SA then Bond and Styris would be my top picks as well as Vettori. You need a strong bowling combo to take out leading players such as Pollock, Kallis and Gibbs and then skillful batsmen to take on one of the world's best bowlers, Ntini. I think Styris is my all time top pick though.