• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official** New Zealand in England

tooextracool

International Coach
Tom Halsey said:
Vettori bowled very well,.
but tresco has a weakness outside th off stump against pace bowling and this is only a 3rd day pitch.

Tom Halsey said:
and didn't Martin destroy SA?
to be honest martin hasnt bowled half as well as he did against SA

Tom Halsey said:
I think you had better do a Richard and eat your computer, after all.
if he does score big against australia i will :p

MoxPearl

State Vice-Captain
damn these long games.. its 5:30am here and they still have like 15 overs to go lol

just as i type this they r going off for the light again lol

Tom Halsey

International Coach
tooextracool said:
but tresco has a weakness outside th off stump against pace bowling and this is only a 3rd day pitch.
If you're going to rip him apart for his weaknesses, give him credit for his strengths.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
MoxPearl said:
I guess that ground dont have lights ? cause they could turn them on.. but if they not on then i guess they dont have them :P

Or more likely, the tight-fisted Yorkshiremen don't want to pay for the electricity...

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
tooextracool said:
As adequately demonstrated by his dismissal.

It was a quite ridiculous stroke to play - fancy attempting to drive a shooter (you get those all the time on third day pitches).

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
Or more likely, the tight-fisted Yorkshiremen don't want to pay for the electricity...
Would YOU like to bat under lights at Headingley?
The day they consider installing lights there is the day I start blowing up floodlight pylons.

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
luckyeddie said:
Would YOU like to bat under lights at Headingley?
The day they consider installing lights there is the day I start blowing up floodlight pylons.
If they are lights like they have in Aus it wouldnt be so bad but they seem to insist on having football stadium type lights which just arent that good to see a cricketball properly.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
SpaceMonkey said:
If they are lights like they have in Aus it wouldnt be so bad but they seem to insist on having football stadium type lights which just arent that good to see a cricketball properly.
The standard of lights has absolutely nothing to do with it, I'm afraid, but the atmospherics do.

Think Durban, then multiply that by 2 or 3.

anzac

International Debutant
tooextracool said:
both of which i suggested at the start of the test......as usual i was right :p

well done..............but it could also have worked with Fleming opening with Papps instead of Richardson & Papps..........or anyone batting with anyone other than Richardson,but not too many people like that idea.............

:devil2:

anzac

International Debutant
congrads to Vaughan for the birth of his daughter, and to Trescothick for his ton & proving the critics were a bit premature calling for him to be dropped with Vaughan's return from injury..........

a pity NZL couldn't make more out of the morning session, but good to see McCullum & Vettori batting sensibly in a continuation of the theme of the innings..........

ENG have rather galloped past the follow-on figure (as they should have with a batting lineup on form), and must fancy their chances for a 1st innings lead against a somewhat weakened & insipid NZL bowling attack to date..............

however with 2 days play remaining and no team yet with a definative advantage, the odds must favour a draw barring an astonishing turn around.............

under these circumstances re injuries, illness & loss of form NZL would feel a sort of moral victory if they can avoid a defeat...............

anzac

International Debutant
PY said:
He's an odd bod though. When asked why he had called her Talulah and he said because she looked like a Talulah.

Which he then followed up with "but then they all look like Talulahs". :wacko:

Think he might need some sleep :D. Congrats to him anyway. :)

just in keeping with his "achievement" quote as per one of the signatures n here........... :D

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
I would agree on the draw being most likely but i think New Zealand would be kicking themselves more than England - NZ had a real opportunity here and if they don't get anything out of it they go into the last test with no possibility of winning the series. England haven't done that great at Headingly recently and to a certain extent they were unlucky with the weather as day 2 proved to be the best day for batting so far.

btw Another good performance by GBH

anzac

International Debutant
PY said:
Papps has a broken hand and batted with it yesterday and is a severe doubt for the back-to-back Test.

damn & blast - just as the guy was possibly getting a break on the pitch, he gets a break on he pitch of a different sort..........

where did you get that info from??????????? haven't seen anything reported yet...

PY

International Coach
I'm attempting to find something about it now but Mike Selby on Test Match Special said he got hit on 41 by Flintoff and therefore didn't take the field for the first session of today's play.

anzac

International Debutant
superkingdave said:
I would agree on the draw being most likely but i think New Zealand would be kicking themselves more than England - NZ had a real opportunity here and if they don't get anything out of it they go into the last test with no possibility of winning the series. England haven't done that great at Headingly recently and to a certain extent they were unlucky with the weather as day 2 proved to be the best day for batting so far.

btw Another good performance by GBH

under normal circumstances I'd agree with you, but atm this is the worst spate of injuries to hit the team across the board since ZIM / RSA in 2000, and coupled with the loss of form in the batting..........

IMO ENG need to dominate this NZL team to have any sort of moral 'victory' from this match...............and it appears much the same for the final test...........

eg even if ENG win the series 1-0 NZL can then say that ENG couldn't beat a depleted NZL team, thus inferring that there may have been some change to the results if a fully fit team had taken the field.............much the same IMO as Lara's 400 meant to the result of the series.............. 8-)

PY

International Coach
PY said:
I'm attempting to find something about it now but Mike Selby on Test Match Special said he got hit on 41 by Flintoff and therefore didn't take the field for the first session of today's play.
And the reason why Kyle Mills was on the field of play for the whole day I think.

anzac

International Debutant
PY said:
ok so Fleming to open with Richardson for the 3rd Test & Sinclair to come in for Papps (I don't see the point in McMillan batting when recovering from a broken finger), and perhaps Mills to come in for either Tuffey or Martin..........it would depend if Tuffey just needs to blow thru the cobwebs & get the overs under his belt, or if Martin has got his rythmn & release working at all & just needs to get his line / length sorted..........

what's he been bowling at today?????????????

Loony BoB

International Captain
Question for the English: How many low scores would it take for Butcher to be dropped? He's scored less runs than Styris and Styris, like Butcher, was previously quite well known for doing a bloody good job for his country, and Styris is under a lot of pressure lately (although I think he's saving himself).

I'm not saying he should be dropped, I'm asking a question so I can be educated on just how valuable a player should be before he's given some time out. Four bad innings? Six? More?

PY

International Coach
He'll be given until the end of the series at least. Probably at least first 2 Tests against West Indies as well if Trescothick is anything to go by.

I don't know whether you were into cricket when Butcher got 173* against Australia but to me, that showed what he has to offer England as a cricketing prospect. He averages 43 since recall too which is higher than any other player bar Vaughan. He's earnt his crap period so I dearly hope they keep the faith.

Although there are a LOT of players on domestic scene who are giving the selectors' doors a good beating.

Neil Pickup

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Those couple of quick wickets that Scotty S picked up at the end of the day have swung the game back into the balance after it looked like England were on top at 220-2.

Should NZ pick up another one or two early on tomorrow, we could quite easily get rolled for 310-320, and then if we end up having four hours to negotiate on a pitch with very erratic bounce, it could get interesting (alternatively if England post 450-460 and then NZ get skittled...)

Harmo's now got four four-fers in a row without bowling particularly well...