• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand in England

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
What's your point there? As far as I know Ross Taylor hasn't done anything like that. I mean I'm sure he likes a drink as much as the next man but he seems to be a lot more professional that Ryder is.
It's late. Somehow (probably related to Heath and Brumby's posts just before yours) Jesse Ryder and Ross Taylor got messed about in my mind. Apologies.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Also, in other news I read yesterday that Ryder is back in training, and he's batting as well as ever.... but he seems to have some serious nerve damage in his hand that's giving him significant amounts of pain whenever he catches a tennis ball. They seem to this that this nerve damage is a long term thing, so he's gonna have to get used to the pain if he wants to play.
What. A. Dumbaess. So now he's jeopardised his whole career, pretty much.
There was also a suggestion that NZ may approach the England team and ask them whether they will let him field wearing a protective glove (technically forbidden) as NZ seem to think that the ECB will want Ryder playing as he's "a draw card" for fans.
Would that be required to be a long-term thing?

FBU

International Debutant
So? Some England supporters don't have many worries about Broad and Anderson being picked ahead of Hoggard, but that doesn't mean they're better bowlers.
Of course they are not better bowlers. Hoggard is the finished article in his 30s while Broad is 21 and Anderson (25) a work in progress. :)

England's bowling plans of going out and attacking NZ's batsmen proved to be wrong. Once they copied what NZ had done in their 1st innings things went much better like Panesar bowling with the wind behind him. He said he couldn't get the ball where he wanted bowling into the wind and should have discussed with Vaughan about a change of ends.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I really don't think Anderson's failure to bowl the lines and lengths Jacob Oram sends down game after game is due to a failure of mindset and bowling plans.

Anderson simply isn't as good as Oram at hitting the spot he's aiming at. Anywhere near.

Nor, in fact, is he (or Broad) as good as Martin, Mills or - in this match - even O'Brien. Nor is he ever likely to be, TBH.

Halfpast_Yellow

U19 Vice-Captain
This defeat leaves a dirty taste in my mouth. Before our second innings yesterday I was hopeful this tour would be a turning point for NZ cricket, and at the hands of a young side. Instead we get a reaffirming point of all the ongoing issues of inadaquacy. No England series win for this side. Agree with all the other sentiments expressed by the NZ followers so I'll leave it there.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Would that be required to be a long-term thing?
Realistically speaking, it sounds like it would be a 'nice' thing to have in the long term, but its unlikely that the Law Makers would be in favour of it. I think its a suggestion to allow him to play in the upcoming One Day series. Without it, he wouldn't be able to field. If he's feeling pain from a tennis ball, imagine how much more pain he'd feel with a cricket ball. Good to hear that his batting hasn't suffered though.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Lancs should have to answer the The ECB as to why they've picked Sajid Mahmood ahead of Cork several times this season, really.

Insult to the game of cricket to see such a woeful bowler picked ahead of such class.
pretty sure the ECB are more likely to be asking questions if we were picking Cork ahead of Mahmood tbh.

Also you should actually try finding out some facts before you spout your mouth off, Crok has been out injured most of the season, coming back for one CC game, where he got injured again. So tbf Lancs haven't picked Mahmood ahead of him for a single game.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Sigh.

NZ lose win they look like they'd win.

WIndies lose when I hope they'd win.

Katich fails to make an impact in his recall.

Getting the noose.

JBH001

International Regular
Ha! Watched the first hour and a half last night, and was not all that impressed, tbh.

The team, as Smithy said, did not seem to believe and the pressure of captaining and bowling NZ to a victory on a surface supposed to help him seemed to be weighing on Dan too. Still, we were competitive, but once you've said that, you've said everything, and it hurts that our batting folded when 50 - 100 runs extra may have made a match winning difference. The Black Caps better off as gallant losers, once again?

Flem274*

123/5
The first two innings showed the world class potential this NZ side (discounting the rubbish journeymen like Marshall) has. The final two innings showed their inexperience.

S.P. Fleming

U19 Cricketer
Disappointing stuff fro.m the blackcaps, England seemed more determined to win it and I question whether a bit of sub-concious complacency may have crept in for the second innings, but plenty for Danny to ponder heading to trent bridge

James Marshall should be dropped for Peter Fulton, if there is nobody better around.

Flem274*

123/5
Well done to England though, fantastic comeback.

You know how teams insist on psychologists now, I must say ours sucks with regards to this second innings problem. And yes I have spent the day thinking of someone to blame that actualy has a fair case against them, its part of NZ sporting society after all. :p

If it is Gilbert Enoka I'd be surprised, the team loved him. He was then stolen by the All Blacks.

Just to fast forward to the one dayers a bit, I think we'll crush them :p. Two innings is easy, its there last two that are the issue.

Plus we get some experience back and all the retirements were staggered a bit more.

Flem274*

123/5
Disappointing stuff fro.m the blackcaps, England seemed more determined to win it and I question whether a bit of sub-concious complacency may have crept in for the second innings, but plenty for Danny to ponder heading to trent bridge

James Marshall should be dropped for Peter Fulton, if there is nobody better around.
Not sure on Marshall. I want him gone forever but (unfortunately) he's earnt his place this time around so he should get at least 3 tests, a fair chance.

Not sure on Fulton at three either. The best technically for there would be Flynn but its a bit early, especially with his little problem.

Definitely don't want McCullum at five. He'll come of once every five times there if he keeps up the ODI mode and by doing that he's a liability at five.