• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand in England

stumpski

International Captain
That's how he comes across to me in interviews, anyway. Mind, after two years in the England bubble, it would be a surprise if he weren't acquiring a bit more of an ego ... if not yet one to match KP's.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Later maybe. Laptop battery about to die, will get it charged up for 9pm when the missus is watching some TV. :D

stumpski

International Captain
Strauss was obviously a worthy contender as well - unlike Taylor he made runs in both knocks (I'd forgotten he made 60 in the first innings).

Now, who is that 'indie' type band playing over the closing credits of Five's highlights?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
That's how he comes across to me in interviews, anyway. Mind, after two years in the England bubble, it would be a surprise if he weren't acquiring a bit more of an ego ... if not yet one to match KP's.
No, no - was meaning "you think he was flattered by his figures?"

Bob Bamber

U19 12th Man
Missed the presentation - who was awarded man of the match , Panesar?

England look pretty woeful, the mental side of the middle order is shot , although I very much doubt anything will happen (Is Owais Shah ever going to get the run in the side he deserves , he's a pretty decent player of spin isn't he?).

As for the bowlers , Broad is a worthwhile investment , and we'll reap the rewards in the future for giving him time now. Sidebottom had an average game , but thats hardly the point. The problem with the bowlers for me is Anderson. He's great when there's swing in the air , but otherwise he is erratic and expensive , I'd like to see Tremlett in the side - permenantly - or hopefully if/when Simon Jones returns.

I expect the same side to be picked for Trent Bridge , but the England XI need their heads looking at.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Missed the presentation - who was awarded man of the match , Panesar?
Aye.
As for the bowlers , Broad is a worthwhile investment , and we'll reap the rewards in the future for giving him time now.
Will? No way. He might be good in future, but he won't become good by playing now when he's not good enough. He'll become good by bowling - ideally either in nets or at a level where he can do well (which the Championship currently isn't.
The problem with the bowlers for me is Anderson. He's great when there's swing in the air , but otherwise he is erratic and expensive , I'd like to see Tremlett in the side - permenantly - or hopefully if/when Simon Jones returns.
Jones is as swing-dependent as Anderson, he just seems to be able to swing cricket-balls a bit better than Anderson does. Anderson has bowled crap when the ball has been swinging often enough too, he's simply not very good. No way on Earth is he going to be dropped for Trent Bridge, though.

stumpski

International Captain
No, no - was meaning "you think he was flattered by his figures?"
Well I didn't see Sunday's play live live - only on the highlights (and have recently started watching Five's again instead of Sky's which go on a little too long for me) - so maybe not fair to comment. Given the woeful shot selection of some of the Kiwis though, I thought perhaps 4 for 50 would have been a truer reflection. Not going to argue the point though. :)

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Amazingly, Sidebottom, Anderson & Panesar are all averaging in the low-mid 20s in the series so far. Didn't realise this.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Anderson's figures grossly flatter him, obviously. MSP has been very effective once and very ineffective once, according to the surface. Sidebottom has bowled pretty decently once and pretty poorly once.

None of our seam-bowlers have covered themselves in glory this series. It's been pretty depressing, given two pretty friendly surfaces. Had Flintoff been in there, I can't shake the feeling our performances would've been rather more solid. Much more, indeed.

Leslie1

U19 Captain
Cheers for that, mate.

I think now we should respect Flynn's decision not to bat.

Hard to know what he would have done in his condition against Panasar in the second innings, anyway.
It wasn't his call. Vettori is quoted as saying he wanted to be out there but vetoed by the management citing being 'protective of his well-being'.

It also means we see him in the 3rd test hopefully and Fulton in for Marshall. In fact, if Oram doesn't make it, what does that mean?

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It also means we see him in the 3rd test hopefully and Fulton in for Marshall. In fact, if Oram doesn't make it, what does that mean?
I heard talk that Hopkins might come in. If he does, its frankly farcical and shows that the squad brought over was a batsman light. Hay, Broom or any other batsman should also be there for just this eventuality.

Also, in other news I read yesterday that Ryder is back in training, and he's batting as well as ever.... but he seems to have some serious nerve damage in his hand that's giving him significant amounts of pain whenever he catches a tennis ball. They seem to this that this nerve damage is a long term thing, so he's gonna have to get used to the pain if he wants to play. There was also a suggestion that NZ may approach the England team and ask them whether they will let him field wearing a protective glove (technically forbidden) as NZ seem to think that the ECB will want Ryder playing as he's "a draw card" for fans.

Chubb

International Regular
If Gareth Hopkins plays alongside Ross Taylor, then Norwich & Coltishall Wanderers CC will have two of their former players in the side, which would be pretty cool.

Everyone at the club speaks very highly of Gareth Hopkins; a superb batsman who scored tons of runs and a great guy as well; in fact, they rate him as the best pro they've ever had. By contrast, Ross Taylor, though a superb player, apparently acted like a bit of a tosser, even receiving a ban for excessive sledging at one point. That surprises me as he seems like a decent enough guy on the pitch and in interviews, though it must be said he was only 19 when he was in England.

The Norfolk Cricket Alliance seems to be a favoured destination for Kiwis; Daniel Flynn was the pro last year at Downham Market CC, who we played against on Saturday.