• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in England 2015

Cabinet96

Hall of Fame Member
I don't know if it is really the board. It is just England being England.
I just view England as the players/squad though. I guess maybe you can not like how they play their cricket without hating the players individually I guess.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
RE people disliking cook - He's a bland handsome rich kid who bores bowling attacks to death and has no sense of tactics. It's no so much that there's anything particularly dislikeable, it's more that there's nothing to like.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Kind of one and the same, though. An England team in which Anderson, Broad, Cook and Bell aren't doing well is a pretty mediocre side.
Just because one causes the other doesn't really mean they're one and the same.

People wanting England to lose because they dislike Cook and want to see him suffer is different from people wanting Cook to fail because they dislike the England side and want to see them lose. This is an important distinction in answering Cabinet's question, because the answer could be "no-one" without his point actually being vindicated.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
You're assuming that every reason that someone dislikes someone else is rational and logical, which is weird
No, I'm countering the reasons you and OS have given as to why he is/should be disliked, because they are poor.

Cabinet96

Hall of Fame Member
RE people disliking cook - He's a bland handsome rich kid who bores bowling attacks to death and has no sense of tactics. It's no so much that there's anything particularly dislikeable, it's more that there's nothing to like.
This is overstated (what Spark was saying about Giles Clarke). He was only privately educated because he got a scholarship. He's also one of the most successful English sportsmen of modern times, yet lives on a farm.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I just view England as the players/squad though. I guess maybe you can not like how they play their cricket without hating the players individually I guess.
Yeah this is basically what I was getting at. The board is part of it but I think people dislike England due to the character of the side as a whole rather than any particular player. I think sometimes Cook basically wears this personally in the eyes of some and gets disliked due to it, but it's basically a "Team England" gripe rather than a "Player A, Player B, Player X and Player Z" gripe.

I see cricket in a very similar way to you so this isn't something I really feel, but I think anti-England sentiment comes from that: dislike of the structure and character of the team as a whole rather than individual players.

He gets a lot of runs. 27 tons. I'd prefer him to overtake Tendulkar. Indian fan idolisaton of Sachin is nauseating. Commentators are worse, though. They know where their bread is buttered. Give me Lara, Sangakarra, Ponting, Kallis and many more over Sachin's overrated test career.

Last edited:

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Have people not just always wanted to England to lose? Obviously it is a bit different to hate in the social media age but I think wanting to see England lose is nothing new.

LegionOfBrad

International Debutant
On the declaration.

If they'd have gone on until lunch it would have been 500 in 5 sessions. So not even an outside chance for a win.

Its now 423 in 5 sessions. Which they'll get if they don't get out. You win some you lose some. I doubt BmC was thinking they'd bowl as bad as that.