• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in England 2015

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Disliking a person because of his captaincy is piss poor. His public comments have by and large been a case of answering questions put to him, aside from his stance on Warne. Given he's been under more pressure than pretty much any England captain in a generation having had to front up following the KP saga, he's actually done well to keep it together and by and large remain quite calm. he gets the rough end of the stick on this more than anybody.

Top bloke, tbh.
Yeah, don't dislike Cook. Pretty keen on not having to watch him bat though.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
There's only four of them. I know Jimmy is a bit lippy and Cook a bit boring but I wouldn't of thought of this as a "Why can't both teams lose?" series particularly.
Individual England players aren't really disliked (Broad aside), but the England team as a whole certainly is. Those more strongly associated with the structure of the team as a whole (Cook, mainly) have copped residual bad will due to this, but it's more a case of people wanting England to lose than it is necessarily wanting to see individual players fail or suffer.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Disliking a person because of his captaincy is piss poor. His public comments have by and large been a case of answering questions put to him, aside from his stance on Warne. Given he's been under more pressure than pretty much any England captain in a generation having had to front up following the KP saga, he's actually done well to keep it together and by and large remain quite calm. he gets the rough end of the stick on this more than anybody.

Top bloke, tbh.
Nah, his comments on Mankading were stupid, his response to Warne's criticism was dumb as well, and he also had a big waaahhh over the Anderson-Jadeja and accusing India of trying to somehow get Anderson banned. The majority of what comes out of his mouth has been rubbish.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Nah, his comments on Mankading were stupid, his response to Warne's criticism was dumb as well, and he also had a big waaahhh over the Anderson-Jadeja and accusing India of trying to somehow get Anderson banned. The majority of what comes out of his mouth has been rubbish.
Most guys who play 100 Tests will end up having a few things to pick them up on.

Cabinet96

Hall of Fame Member
Individual England players aren't really disliked (Broad aside), but the England team as a whole certainly is. Those more strongly associated with the structure of the team as a whole (Cook, mainly) have copped residual bad will due to this, but it's more a case of people wanting England to lose than it is necessarily wanting to see individual players fail or suffer.
Yeah I didn't really think about this. I don't tend to really think about teams as cricket boards really, nor do I really give a **** about all the politics in sport, but I guess quite a lot of people do.

KungFu_Kallis

International 12th Man
I think with Bell it's always come down to forever batting like eye candy and promising so much, but with the perception he cashes in more on soft runs than hard runs - i.e. when someone else has already laid the platform, or against weak bowling attacks. With the obvious exception of Ashes 2013 (#1) and maybe a couple of others (no sorry India 2011 doesn't count, just no). And whenever he scores a hundred he comes out with a new self gratifying column entry/interview saying how much he's changed / got harder etc. So yeah

Spark

Global Moderator
Kind of one and the same, though. An England team in which Anderson, Broad, Cook and Bell aren't doing well is a pretty mediocre side.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah I didn't really think about this. I don't tend to really think about teams as cricket boards really, nor do I really give a **** about all the politics in sport, but I guess quite a lot of people do.
I don't know if it is really the board. It is just England being England.

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah this isn't Cook's fault, it's Giles Clarke's, by being a classist piece of **** in some of his reasoning for maintaining Cook as captain.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I mentioned the Warne thing. The fact you've named three things, and two of them were not exactly isolated opinions let's just say (and I'm leaving it there because there's no point opening those debates), is hardly grounds for such a sentence as the bolded.

Spark

Global Moderator
I mentioned the Warne thing. The fact you've named three things, and two of them were not exactly isolated opinions let's just say (and I'm leaving it there because there's no point opening those debates), is hardly grounds for such a sentence as the bolded.
You're assuming that every reason that someone dislikes someone else is rational and logical, which is weird