• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** NatWest Series/Challenge

Neil Pickup

Request Your Custom Title Now!
King_Ponting said:
i'd be more worried about watson to be complety honest.
Yeah, I'm petrified.

21 wickets in 32 ODIs at 46 - not a frontline bowler by any stretch. I don't even know if Hogg is, to be honest.

King_Ponting

International Regular
Neil Pickup said:
Yeah, I'm petrified.

21 wickets in 32 ODIs at 46 - not a frontline bowler by any stretch. I don't even know if Hogg is, to be honest.
not to mention 25% of those wickets being taken against Bangladesh/Zimbabwe/Kenya :-O

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
i agree with you all. watson and hogg aren't much chop. here's hoping dizzy and pigeon knock them over early! :D

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
tassietiger said:
Dwayne Bravo took one down here that I thought was incredible too. Same with Ponting, can't remember who against but it was at midwicket at full stretch. Not to mention Glenn's in the Ashes a while ago.

But about the match, my finger has been hovering over the mute button for a while now, geez these Poms back themselves. Don't know who said it, but after Collingwood's catch, they said something about being the best team ever. Settle down, you're not even the best team in the stadium. Also, about this underrating of our bowling attack, we aren't doing it to you. We're giving credit to your bowler (not a typo btw), so give our bowlers some respect. Just on that, Harmison is a star.
WHO said something about the 'best team ever'? Best ENGLISH ODI team ever, by a mile, because we're usually rubbish. Best English FIELDING team I've seen ever, by a mile, no contest. Best world TEAM ever? Don't be silly. And your side is not a patch on that of two years ago either. At the moment, too many players are going on memory or reputation alone.

As far as under-rating your bowling attack - well, perhaps that's what Bangladesh did.

Your side have thus far been thoroughly unprofessional on this tour. It's about time they got their finger out - or perhaps some poms will start talking the way you seem to be suggesting they are already.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Mister Wright said:
Your forgetting that Watson is a batsman who can bowl, whereas Katich is a batsman who thinks he can bowl. Watson is a better fielder and can bat just as well as Katich in a one day game.
Very arguable.
PY said:
Harmison on, first battle of the summer between the Aussies and him.

Could be quite defining.
Very true. Not that the actual deliveries were amazing or anything, (Gilchrist made it a lot harder going forward to cut) but (in the case of Ponting and Martyn) they were very well executed to well thought out plans. I doubt that Martyn will play that shot again early this season - it's not a shot of habit, and you'd think wouldn't be likely to work twice.
age_master said:
commentators spending alot of time writing McGrath off as old and slow....
Yes, I heard Nasser refer to McGrath as one of the best bowlers "when he used to nip it". On the back of three tour games suddenly he doesn't move the ball. :huh:

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Come on, Harmison - this is rubbi....

oh, wait. It's Gillespie (with the emphasis on 'pie')

4 wides, a no-ball, a half-volley - and he's barely halfway through his first over.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
andyc said:
how silly of you. you're forgetting gillespie. he's the one with the better average, strike rate and economy rate than all the english strike bowlers (excluding lewis, seeing as how he's played one game)
Ah, the big-nosed fellow? Greasy long hair? Bowls lots of wides? Think I recall him now! :D

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mister Wright said:
Gilespie will want to up the anti with the competition for bowling spots as it is at the moment.
I think his first over justified his incl...

what competition for bowling spots are you talking about?

PY

International Coach
Well that's an enjoyable first over from the mop-head. :D

Wayward stuff here.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Mister Wright said:
In the top order.
I'd hardly say that's non-negotiable though. Katich has performed well all over the order for NSW and WA, and done some very good jobs for Aus in recent times.

Gillespie, it's like the reverse Samson - exacerbated by the headband. Interesting point Holding raised, about how slow he's bowling relative to his usual self.
Good decision on the Strauss LBW too.

Demolition Man

State Vice-Captain
luckyeddie said:
I think his first over justified his incl...

what competition for bowling spots are you talking about?
carefull, we might unleash the Tait on you, when he bowls watch out, seriously the ball could go anywhere.