• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** NatWest Series/Challenge

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
social said:
Rather than debating the legality of a catch that a fieldsman claimed, an umpire confirmed, and the batsman accepted, perhaps we should talk about the fact that one of the world's premier players of pace bowling somehow contrived to hit a slow long-hop down the throat of deep mid-wicket.
Not as good as you think he is?

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
luckyeddie said:
Not as good as you think he is?
Ponting? Great player.

Im simply getting sick of seeing Aussies' so-called finest repeatedly throwing their wickets away.

Scallywag

Banned
FaaipDeOiad said:
Indeed. I must admit I wasn't especially happy to see Pietersen claiming the catch he took at third man of Martyn, and believe he knew it wasn't out. This one however, he had his fingers under.
I have no doubt that he got his fingers under the ball, its just weather it was before or after the ball hit the ground.

Ponting agreed before the game that batsmen would accept the fielders word on catches and he stuck to his word. I bet ****atoo turned a bit in his sleep last night.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
social said:
Ponting? Great player.

Im simply getting sick of seeing Aussies' so-called finest repeatedly throwing their wickets away.
That's the thing that I'm finding frustrating. As percentage of dismissals goes, there are much fewer than normal being your normal nick to the keeper or slips, or beaten by a good ball. The Aussies seem to be frustrated by the fact that they're not scoring at 5-6 an over and throw their wickets away.

Look at the way that Hayden has gone out in front of the wicket so often, Clarke has played a number of indiscriminate shots, and others have also committed flawed shots like it on more isolated occassions. It smacks of a side that doesn't enjoy being threatened - which I find quite humourous after all of Ponting's talk about how they want a challenge. 8-)

social

FaaipDeOiad said:
Indeed. I must admit I wasn't especially happy to see Pietersen claiming the catch he took at third man of Martyn, and believe he knew it wasn't out. This one however, he had his fingers under.
A case could be made for the rejection of both claims.

However, at the end of the day, KP claimed both catches and had his appeal upheld by umpires on both occasions.

That's pretty much the end of the story where fielding is concerned.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
aussie said:
why not, even though their top class performers and are bound to hit top form on tour, but as long has thier dull run with the bat & ball respectively continues you would have to be a bit worried.
As an Englishman, I am not in the least worried if they keep on like that.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
aussie said:
The fact that he will have assistance on offer during the tests says that he could be effective during the ashes.
Did you deliberately cut all the stuff about the Old Ball out?

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
marc71178 said:
THey've been the same for both sides to play on...
In the last game the conditions werent the same for both sides and usually one side does get the better of the conditions as opposed to the other.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
social said:
He has troubled the entire English top order (let us not forget that but for a no-ball and a dropped catch, England was staring down the barrel again last night) and has, IMO, Strauss' measure.
No ball excuse is not an excuse, that is his own fault.

social said:
Also, it should be remembered that it was not him that relieved the pressure last night but Gillespie, Watson, Hogg, etc.
So he didn't bowl 7 no balls then?

As an opening bowler, wickets were critical yesterday - remind us how many he took?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
FaaipDeOiad said:
How do you think he knew it wasn't out when there's no conclusive evidence to suggest it wasn't?

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Scallywag said:
I have no doubt that he got his fingers under the ball, its just weather it was before or after the ball hit the ground.

Ponting agreed before the game that batsmen would accept the fielders word on catches and he stuck to his word. I bet ****atoo turned a bit in his sleep last night.
So you're calling him a cheat?

There's a picture in The Times today an instant before the catch was taken of him sliding - the ball is nearly a foot above the ground. Did it bounce out or something?

greg

International Debutant
So because you (as a result of technology that is proven to be not just inadequate, but actively misleading) have doubt, that means that Pietersen <i>knew</i> it wasn't out?

Like LuckyEddie says - get hold of a copy of today's London Times. It may cause you to lose faith in your beloved TV technology.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Scallywag said:
If there is no conclusive evidence then there is doubt.
Have to agree with that. However, only at first glance did the catch look dodgy - the replays were pretty conclusive I though.

Scallywag

Banned
luckyeddie said:
So you're calling him a cheat?

There's a picture in The Times today an instant before the catch was taken of him sliding - the ball is nearly a foot above the ground. Did it bounce out or something?
Well if the The times today say ****atoo was sliding and took the catch a foot above the ground then thats proof.

social

marc71178 said:
THey've been the same for both sides to play on...
Aaaah no.

Aus has batted first on 2 consecutive green-tops.

England has had by far the better of onditions in those games.

social

marc71178 said:
So how come England's batsmen have managed to get some form then?
Tresco - ordinary until yesterday. Caught off no-ball in single figures, played and missed repeatedly, given not out when hit it, hit bad balls for runs. Obvious weakness outside off-stump.

Strauss - ordinary. Dropped in single figures, couple of good shots, poor footwork stil a problem.

Vaughan - best innings in long time yesterday, otherwise ordinary Had benefit of flat deck yesterday.

Collingwood - irrelevant

Flintoff - ordinary

KP - one great innings otherwise ordinary

Solanki - see Collingwood.

HMMm- overall average.