• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** NatWest Series/Challenge

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
greg said:
On any pitch that is so bad that sides are likely to get bowled out in 43 overs the fielding restrictions will be irrelevant anyway because captains will have most of their players in the ring or in catching postions anyway.
This is why I like test cricket better :D Simple quality tough game

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Pratyush said:
Not necessarily. If I can get wickets early on the power play overs being left for the tail enders to face, the proper batsmen dont get to face the power play overs.

So a strategy could be to use the power play overs as late as possible as teams any way go for the slog in the last few overs.
That makes no sense whatsoever, if you're getting early wickets you're going to use the 5 over blocks straight off because you're going to be attacking anyway - all it means is you're not forced to have most people inside the circle later on - you can still do it if you want to. The 5 over blocks are something you'll be trying to get out of the way with as little damage as possible, not something that's going to benefit your fielding team because you can have as many fielders close in as you like anyway.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Scaly piscine said:
That makes no sense whatsoever, if you're getting early wickets you're going to use the 5 over blocks straight off because you're going to be attacking anyway - all it means is you're not forced to have most people inside the circle later on - you can still do it if you want to. The 5 over blocks are something you'll be trying to get out of the way with as little damage as possible, not something that's going to benefit your fielding team because you can have as many fielders close in as you like anyway.
Then why do you think captains put in the 5th bowler in the middle overs with defensive fields many a time to complete their 5th over analysis even when wickets fall early.

Scaly piscine

Pratyush said:
Then why do you think captains put in the 5th bowler in the middle overs with defensive fields many a time to complete their 5th over analysis even when wickets fall early.
And it'll still happen during the 21-40 over period, then when someone like Australia brings back their best bowlers for the last 10 do they suddenly come up with 2-3 slip fielders a deep fine-leg and deep third man and everyone else inside the circle? Nope - not even with Gough and Giles batting. Can you imagine what it would be like if someone like KP was still in, even Geraint? Teams are smart enough to suss out you've still got 10 overs left of fielding restrictions, so they're not going to get out playing stupid shots (Vaughan excluded) and leave you with 9, 10 jack to bowl at at the death. Batsmen can take risks during the last 10, not so much 11-20 tho.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Scaly piscine said:
Batsmen can take risks during the last 10, not so much 11-20 tho.
That is the general thinking because of the way one dayers have worked till now. But no one thought batsmen would take so many risks before Greatbatch in 92 and more significantly Jayasuriya-Kallu in 96.

Whenever the restrictions will be imposed, the teams will want to bring in a pinch hitter or up the tempo of scoring. It becomes an anticipation game with who will out think whom.

greg

International Debutant

Because they don't want them bowling at the end when the slog is on. The new fielding restrictions are akin to you having an extra "5th bowler" who is forced to bowl his 10 overs. You try and get them out of the way when you can without too much damage. The problems many captains are now going to have is that this new "5th bowler" and their actual 5th bowler will not be able to be got out of the way at the same time and they will want their best bowlers bowling during the "power play overs", but they will also want them bowling at the death. Teams like England who have 5 "test class" bowlers in their team, having managed to get rid of most of the part-timers, may be able to cope with this - I really fear for some of the weaker bowling teams in World cricket who rely on part-timers to a far greater extent. Even Australia will have some selection problems to cope with because an attack such as the one they put out on Saturday will be found seriously wanting (although they will probably be boosted by the addition of someone like Watson as a sub - other countries will not have that luxury)

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
greg said:
Because they don't want them bowling at the end when the slog is on.
I know that but agree with every thing else you said.

Welcome to the forum. I am sure you will have a great tim here.

Scaly piscine

Pratyush said:
That is the general thinking because of the way one dayers have worked till now. But no one thought batsmen would take so many risks before Greatbatch in 92 and more significantly Jayasuriya-Kallu in 96.

Whenever the restrictions will be imposed, the teams will want to bring in a pinch hitter or up the tempo of scoring. It becomes an anticipation game with who will out think whom.
I'm sure we will see more pinch hitters as there it's even less of a risk now with in most cases stronger batting line-ups, but Jayasuriya etc. were attacking when they were because of the way the ball got softer late on and the bowling conditions weren't all that helpful. The ball doesn't get as soft late on now anyway and is often replaced because batsmen can't see it... Then there's also Twenty20 cricket and that's helping players become so adept at hitting bowlers around the park in the last 10 anyway.

Last edited:

Steulen

International Regular
Pratyush said:

Good call. I guess it won't be long before we see a fielding captain use his forst block of 5overs only to see the batting captain immediately substitute his Boycott for his Pietersen.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Scaly piscine said:
but Jayasuriya etc. were attacking when they were because of the way the ball got softer late on and the bowling conditions weren't all that helpful. .
The first 15 over attacking is(I guess we have to say was as is not 15 overs now) prevelent in all parts of the world, some places more some places less. The aim is to score maximum runs. Wickets lost will obviously mean a more cautious approach generally but usually we will find the batting teams trying to take advantage of the new restrictions, whenever they are imposed.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Pratyush said:
Welcome to the forum. I am sure you will have a great tim here.
Leave Tim out of this - it's up to him if he wishes to be had or not.

(thinks: ) I wonder whether Ricky Ponting's reading this thread? He looks as though he could do with a few ideas on how to organise a one-day int... (voice trails into distance)

Scally to eat my brains in 5....4....3....

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
luckyeddie said:
Leave Tim out of this - it's up to him if he wishes to be had or not.

(thinks: ) I wonder whether Ricky Ponting's reading this thread? He looks as though he could do with a few ideas on how to organise a one-day int... (voice trails into distance)
:D

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
aussie said:
well if not his selection in the squad is odd.
why? the selectors see him as an impact batsman and excellent fielder -he's often played for sussex as just a batsman, they also think that there are no all rounders of the requisite quality in County Cricket ATM

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
well i thought they may have gone far an all-rounder, but i'm starting to see the logic in his selection.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
aussie said:
well i thought they may have gone far an all-rounder, but i'm starting to see the logic in his selection.
Consider the alternatives.....

Ian Blackwell
Corky
er........

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
aussie said:
But the thing is, with Flintoff in the side, we're already playing 5 front liners.

Gloucefan

U19 Vice-Captain
marc71178 said:
But the thing is, with Flintoff in the side, we're already playing 5 front liners.
Still it's good to have an impact player to come on, would have been useful the other day.