• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** NatWest Series/Challenge

tooextracool

International Coach
Pratyush said:
Gough has a LOT of experience. What are you about?
referring to jones, and his experience with LOI. played 17 list A games and 4 ODIs. certainly explains why he didnt have a clue how to bowl to symonds in the last 10.

tooextracool

International Coach
FaaipDeOiad said:
He looks okay to me. He played really well against Harmison and Flintoff early in the series, better than anyone bar Hussey and Symonds. I think his supposed problems against pace are massively overblown.
not to mention all the commentators on sky talking about how hes been struggling to score runs this series. umm 1 failure(coming in late in the inning) out of 3 before this game.

tooextracool

International Coach
FaaipDeOiad said:
You don't agree the pitch was doing a hell of a lot more in the first 10-15 overs of Australia's innings than it was before?
it's bangladesh, with 0 world class bowlers and 1 test class bowler.
its certainly nowhere near as bad as england were, when they got stuck with the ball swinging all over the place against lee & mcgrath in game 2.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
tooextracool said:
it's bangladesh, with 0 world class bowlers and 1 test class bowler.
its certainly nowhere near as bad as england were, when they got stuck with the ball swinging all over the place against lee & mcgrath in game 2.
Yeah, not saying they are comparable situations, just that Australia didn't bat particularly poorly.

edit: I'd also argue that both Mortaza and Rafique are test class.

Last edited:

tooextracool

International Coach
FaaipDeOiad said:
Yeah, not saying they are comparable situations, just that Australia didn't bat particularly poorly..
maybe not, but it must be said that in that game, they didnt bat, bowl or field brilliantly either.

FaaipDeOiad said:
edit: I'd also argue that both Mortaza and Rafique are test class.
mortaza is, and he was part of the '1 test class bowler', rafique is so clearly not(especially away from home), and you only have to look at the ease with which england played him in the test series to realise that.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
tooextracool said:
maybe not, but it must be said that in that game, they didnt bat, bowl or field brilliantly either.
Yeah, they didn't, excluding a couple of people. Clarke batted very well I thought, and Symonds and Gilchrist too for the time they were out there. Lee and Gillespie had one good spell each (notbrilliant, but good), and Watson bowled very well I thought. First time in an international match I've seen him bowl wicket balls on a semi-regular basis for a whole spell. All three of his balls that took wickets were quite nice.

The team generally though didn't excell in any particular area, and several players were quite poor.

parttimer

U19 Cricketer
Gillespie to me is probably going to struggle for the whole season. From what i can see, if the balls not seeming around he'll have struggle taking any wickets at all, because he hasn't been swinging it, at all.

Does anybody else agree that unless Gillespie changes his action ie. bend the back more, be more side on, that he will not be bowling too many wicket taking balls?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
tooextracool said:
mortaza is, and he was part of the '1 test class bowler', rafique is so clearly not(especially away from home), and you only have to look at the ease with which england played him in the test series to realise that.
Not to mention that he's a spinner so the whole conditions thing is irrelevant.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Haha. Same thing happened to Dean Jones in the Windies during the 80s, but he did actually get run out IIRC.
1991, actually. Dean Jones got bowled by Courtney Walsh and started walking off. He realised quickly that it was a no-ball when AB was screaming at him from the non-strikers and tried to regain his ground, by which time Carl Hooper had run to the stumps and grabbed a stump out of the ground with the ball in his hands. Umpire Cumberbatch gave him out. When quizzed by the Aussie team management about why he was given out when you can't be run-out off a no-ball unless taking a run, he said he thought Deano was taking a run.

Not many batsmen I know would have been looking for a single after being clean-bowled!

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Scaly piscine said:
England gift a good start to the convicts as usual.
Australia are batting quite well. England have bowled nothing special and have lacked teeth till now but Australia are capitalising on every thing.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Pratyush said:
Australia are batting quite well. England have bowled nothing special and have lacked teeth till now but Australia are capitalising on every thing.
Happens every game, because Gough is always opening the bowling.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Scaly piscine said:
Happens every game, because Gough is always opening the bowling.
Didnt happen the last game where Jones was quite upto it.

The Australian batsmen have looked very comfortable. Quite a blunt morning for England except the success of wicket of Hayden.

Going easily at a run rate of 6.5.

Last edited:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Scaly piscine said:
Gough beats the bat for probably the first time this season.
Another time on Ponting now. Ponting isnt at the best of forms but he is willing to work it out in the middle to try and come back ro form like the other game which is very heartening.

And now beats Ponting again.