• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** NatWest Series/Challenge

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
I'm not to worried about today's performace, i strongly believe that Australia will lift for the final.

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
Top_Cat said:
I've seen a similar incident in a Test against Australia but can't remember who it involved. Basically, it just looked like a big edge and I would imagine the umpire may have given him out. Certainly from front-on, it would have been very difficult to tell and with the ball moving so much after pitching, the obvious conclusion would have been an edge.
Lou Vincent in Perth

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Crazy Sam said:
australia's bowling was again very ordinary. it's like gillespie and lee only had two or three different balls they knew how to bowl and that was it ?!?!

tony, kerry, stuart very funny once again though. can't stand stuart as a player but they are very funny together.
Why only Gillespie and Lee? What about Kasprowicz? He was far, far worse than them today.

Lee and Gillespie had excellent first spells but struggled later. As people have said, the death bowling was the problem... the first spells were fine.

shaka

International Regular
If he was unsure of whether he hit it, he should wait at the crease and admit that he honestly does not know whether he edged the ball or the bat hit the pitch.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
shaka said:
Maybe Gilchrist is fixated with walking so much that in his mind he thought he edged it. A batsman like him should know when the ball is moving off a footmark and not touch his bat. even punter is shocked.
It is such a small fraction of a second there are ocassions when you arent sure whether it hit your bat or not.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
shaka said:
If he was unsure of whether he hit it, he should wait at the crease and admit that he honestly does not know whether he edged the ball or the bat hit the pitch.
Yep. But maybe he thought it did hit the bat the way the ball swirled to the slip.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
FaaipDeOiad said:
Why only Gillespie and Lee? What about Kasprowicz? He was far, far worse than them today.

Lee and Gillespie had excellent first spells but struggled later. As people have said, the death bowling was the problem... the first spells were fine.
In Kasprowicz's defence he hasn't played for nearly two weeks. Gillespie has played every game and Lee has played since the 3rd game - what are their excuses?

Crazy Sam

International 12th Man
i didn't see kasper bowl (these are late nights for us remember !!! my sleeping patterns have been shot to pieces and will only get worse as we get into the ashes ;) ) but i suppose you could lump him in with the other two.

It's a shame Symonds isn't in the test squad, England conditions seem to really suit him. I think he would be a better option than someone like Watson tbh.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Mister Wright said:
In Kasprowicz's defence he hasn't played for nearly two weeks. Gillespie has played every game and Lee has played since the 3rd game - what are their excuses?
What excuses? Like I said, they bowled well early on. Lee was disappointing later but right on the spot early on, and Gillespie was the best he's been on tour at the beginning. The really poor point was the death bowling, particularly from Lee.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Ponting :

"I was at the non-striker's end and I didn't think he hit it either. I was actually going to yell out to him," Ricky Ponting told reporters after the match, which Australia won by six wickets. "I turned to the umpire straight away and looked at him and we both had strange looks on our faces but Adam thought he had hit it."

"It was probably as much my fault as anyone's. I saw him take a few steps off. I probably could have intervened but if I had done that, and it [replay] had showed he hit it, then who knows what would have happened."

I agree with Ponting that he should have atleast said some thing to Gilly. Extremely brave of him to admit it so frankly in the media though. No secrets and speculation.

http://content.cricinfo.com/ci/content/story/212374.html

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Pratyush said:
"...but if I had done that, and it [replay] had showed he hit it, then who knows what would have happened."
I think that's the relevant point. There is no way you could do that. It'd just turn into pandemonium! (sp)

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
vic_orthdox said:
I think that's the relevant point. There is no way you could do that. It'd just turn into pandemonium! (sp)
Yeah. You can start with "Ponting tells Gilchrist not to walk" and "Umpires refuse to give Australian batsmen out at captain's request" and go from there.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
vic_orthdox said:
I think he could have atleast told Gilly what he was feeling. That he wasnt sure if it had hit or not. He did not require to stick his neck out and tell Gilly to stay or not stay at the wicket or whatever.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Pratyush said:
I think he could have atleast told Gilly what he was feeling. That he wasnt sure if it had hit or not. He did not require to stick his neck out and tell Gilly to stay or not stay at the wicket or whatever.
It doesnt' matter what he tells him. By making that much of a fuss in the middle of the cricket field, just to say "I think you might not have hit that" that much attention will be brought to it anyway.

And as the old saying goes, once you walk, your gone. You can't stop once you start walking back.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
vic_orthdox said:
It doesnt' matter what he tells him. By making that much of a fuss in the middle of the cricket field, just to say "I think you might not have hit that" that much attention will be brought to it anyway.
Yes the media would have lapped it up and Ponting would probably have it in his subconscious its Bangladesh they are playing after all which didnt lead to him speaking out what he felt. In any case its lucky such a scenario hadnt arisen in a more important game like an Ashes contest for example or affected the rsult of a crucial enouncter. Else the media would have lapped it up any way.

And as the old saying goes, once you walk, your gone. You can't stop once you start walking back.
Actually no. Aamer Sohail started walking in a World Cup game in 92. It was a No Ball. He famously returned while the opposing team almost run him out. And umpires are allowed to change decisions so thats not such a rarity as you would think it is.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Pratyush said:
Yes the media would have lapped it up and Ponting would probably have it in his subconscious its Bangladesh they are playing after all which didnt lead to him speaking out what he felt. In any case its lucky such a scenario hadnt arisen in a more important game like an Ashes contest for example or affected the rsult of a crucial enouncter. Else the media would have lapped it up any way.

Actually no. Aamer Sohail started walking in a World Cup game in 92. It was a No Ball. He famously returned while the opposing team almost run him out. And umpires are allowed to change decisions so thats not such a rarity as you would think it is.
Haha. Same thing happened to Dean Jones in the Windies during the 80s, but he did actually get run out IIRC.

I guess that point is fair enough, but the no-ball produces mitigating circumstances.

tooextracool

International Coach
FaaipDeOiad said:
Really? I really like the look of Tremlett. He has the air of a young McGrath about him... tall, decent sort of pace, and quite accurate from the start. No doubt he's got a lot of room to improve, but he's about 500 times more promising than someone like Jon Lewis, and I can see a big future for him.
He just doesnt have variety. he doesnt swing it, doesnt get the ball to reverse, doesnt really have any sort of slower ball, doesnt bowl cutters and it gets a little predictable when you bowl the same thing at a decent pace every ball. he's almost certainly better than lewis, and he might yet make something useful in the future, but he still has a lot of learning to do, and i think it'd be better served if he did that in domestic cricket.

tooextracool

International Coach
Entrael said:
There is no way Martyn will be dropped. Currently he is one of Australias premier batsmen, last year he was the figurehead behind Australias in over India in India, he also contributed in the series against Pakistan where he scored 2 centuries. The test arena suits Martyns game to a teacup, and to suggest that he would be drop is ludracris.
err yes, spot the sarcasm.
but then again when it comes to the aussie selectors,stupidity has no bounds.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
tooextracool said:
He just doesnt have variety. he doesnt swing it, doesnt get the ball to reverse, doesnt really have any sort of slower ball, doesnt bowl cutters and it gets a little predictable when you bowl the same thing at a decent pace every ball. he's almost certainly better than lewis, and he might yet make something useful in the future, but he still has a lot of learning to do, and i think it'd be better served if he did that in domestic cricket.
He swung it a bit in his first match against Bangladesh. Not a heap, but enough to get the edge certainly.

Anyway, I think variation and so on will come with experience and as you say, he can get some of that in domestic cricket. I'd certainly be excited about him as an England fan, though.