• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** NatWest Series/Challenge

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
howardj said:
what happened?
The ball bounced on a bit long of good length outside the off stump of Gilchrist very awkwardly and headed straight towards slips.

Gilchrist attempted a stroke but missed it. Thinking he had hit the ball, he walked.

Later the replays showed he missed it by a wide margin.

howardj

International Coach
Pratyush said:
The ball bounced on a bit long of good length outside the off stump of Gilchrist very awkwardly and headed straight towards slips.

Gilchrist attempted a stroke but missed it. Thinking he had hit the ball, he walked.

Maybe he's got a ticket to the 4:30pm showing of War of The Worlds.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Pratyush said:

That truly is odd.

Khaled Mahmud gets Martyn!! Come on Tigers!!

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Wow, Mortaza has been bowling brilliantly. Had at least 4-5 solid and legitimate LBW shouts against Ponting. Aleem Dar has made the right decision every time IMO.

Mortaza would comfortably make the Indian team bowling like that. Comfortably.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I must say Watson is batting at no 8. Strange things happen in cricket but its a safety pad for the Aussies. It shows how much of a confidence Australia have on Hogg, shows Warne's return is inevitable, but right now it shows Australia is likely to win and is in a comfortable position still.

But if it comes to Watson, it will really be pathetic from an Aussie point of view.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
The match isnt as slow and boring as the sky commentators are making it out. Then why do they do this?

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
The rain made such a huge difference to this wicket. I think it's a bit unfair on the Australians (excluding Hayden perhaps) to criticise their batting much. The pitch was doing a LOT in the first 15 or so overs, and Mortaza is definately a good enough bowler to take advantage of it, and Baisya didn't bowl badly either. Ponting looked uncomfortable for a long time but didn't get out or give a chance to his credit, Gilchrist played wonderfully because his bizarre non-dismissal, and Martyn actually looked quite comfortable before he got a nice ball.

I don't think I've ever seen a wicket change so much from one innings to another. When Bangladesh batted it moved around a little early on off the pitch and in the air, then settled down and became slow and quite flat. With some rain on it before and during the innings break, it just came to life.

Anyway, the match is interestingly poised now, Australia have shown a few problems still and Bangladesh have played wonderfully, and honestly I think this is a much better work out for the Australians than the quick 40-overs-in-total victory that looked likely early on.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
howardj said:
Cant see Clarke lasting too long
He looks okay to me. He played really well against Harmison and Flintoff early in the series, better than anyone bar Hussey and Symonds. I think his supposed problems against pace are massively overblown.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
FaaipDeOiad said:
The rain made such a huge difference to this wicket. I think it's a bit unfair on the Australians (excluding Hayden perhaps) to criticise their batting much.
I think Bangladesh has kept the pressure on and Ponting has shown great applicability on a day on which he has not looked comfortable to say the least.

There are days where every thing you touch goes on the middle of the bat and days where nothing seems to hit. Even despite having one of the latter mentioned days, Ponting hasnt thrown his wicket to a rash shot which is appreciable.

The wickets mean Australia is waiting for a safety cusion of a few more overs perhaps 5-7 before they go for the onslaught and the kill.

Martyn needs to convert his good touch to runs though during the Ashes.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Rafique doing a pretty good job here. Ahmed going at about five an over, if he can finish off his ten and concede less than 45 (that's less than 7 from the last two) he'll have done very well as the fifth bowler, especially if he manages to nick a wicket.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Rain can indeed bring in DL.

Australia is comfortable here at the moment on that but a few more wickets down can mean trouble.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Barney Rubble said:
Rafique doing a pretty good job here. Ahmed going at about five an over, if he can finish off his ten and concede less than 45 (that's less than 7 from the last two) he'll have done very well as the fifth bowler, especially if he manages to nick a wicket.
The problem comes when Aftab finishes after his next over I think. Rafique can bowl 6 of the last 18, Ahmed 1 and Mortaza 4, but that leaves 7 more from the other two bowlers who I think Ponting and Clarke might plunder a bit. Bangladesh can get right into the game with a wicket soon though, given that the RRR is already about 6.