• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** NatWest Series/Challenge

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
He's been bowling like that in ODI's all the time though, and hasn't been succeeding in Tests.
The point is though, that he's been bowling successfully in ODIs all the time, but he's made changes to the way he bowls and is bowling differently today than he was 18 months ago. He's no longer bowling a dozen balls on the spot and the rest of his spell all over the place and picking up 3/55. He's changed his action so he is more upright, which is more important in tests where so many more of your dismissals need to come from behind the wicket, he maintains his pace better now so that he can send down more than 3 or 4 overs without losing it and looking exhausted, and he doesn't strain so hard to break the 155kph barrier that he starts to spray it around. On top of these sort of changes, he's also improved as a cricketer I think... when he was younger Brett Lee only had two ways to get a batsman out, which was to pitch it up and swing it and hope for an edge, or to resort to bouncers and trying to bowl as fast as possible and scaring them out. Most of the time, this didn't work, and I don't think it had much to do with his injury really, so much as the fact that he wasn't bowling well enough to be a consistent success. He's got a lot more in his armory now, and he's willing to be a bit more patient for his wickets and think out a batsman.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
aussie said:
One was over square leg and the other was a top edge then also in the same over he was caught off a no-ball, that was without doubt the most excting period of the game. :happy:
No, both went to the same spot.

I still don't understand why anyone would choose to sit side on to the cricket.

King_Ponting

International Regular
FaaipDeOiad said:
What did he say exactly that was a slap in the face to Bangladesh? If it's the interview I saw, he just said that Symonds and Hogg bowled well, they were untidy at the start, and that Gilchrist and Hayden were good batsmen. Then they talked to Andrew Symonds and gave him man of the match. Did I miss something?
He said that "bangladesh fell away quickly after we got a couple of wickets, so i dont believe that their depth is there at all" or something along those lines

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
No, both went to the same spot.

I still don't understand why anyone would choose to sit side on to the cricket.
well to be totally honest i missed the second six, but the only reason i was side on is because the pavillion is side on and i was their, but i didn't have much of a problem with that view anyway.

Where you their??.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Langeveldt said:
they've been humiliated a rediculous amount of times. Why don't other countries get this special attention?. I guess we are going to have to agree to disagree on the issue..
Then just leave it alone instead of walking in this thread and badmouthing a team that played extremely well to knock off the best team in the world at full strength. Whilst everyone else can see the potential in this team, especially Ashraful (who mind you, I think some of your SA batsmen should take some tips from) who looks like a brilliant young talent, you continue to bad mouth them.

Did you even see Ashraful's ton and 90 odd against Australia and England respectively? Did you?

I hope Ashraful wins man of the series. Imagine that, a series containing Gilchrist, Ponting, McGrath, Gillespie, Martyn, Flintoff, Pietersen, Gough, and this young Bangladeshi kid wins it. It'd be brilliant, and is a real strong possibility (despite his golden duck today).

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
marc71178 said:
TEC has, like me, always acknowledged Lee as an ODI bowler though.
However I do recall TEC, and likely you, calling for Lee's head claiming he didn't deserve to be in the Austrlaian ODI team over Kaspa and Gillespie. I think he's proven he needs to be there without question.

Swervy

International Captain
Jono said:
Then just leave it alone instead of walking in this thread and badmouthing a team that played extremely well to knock off the best team in the world at full strength. Whilst everyone else can see the potential in this team, especially Ashraful (who mind you, I think some of your SA batsmen should take some tips from) who looks like a brilliant young talent, you continue to bad mouth them.

Did you even see Ashraful's ton and 90 odd against Australia and England respectively? Did you?

I hope Ashraful wins man of the series. Imagine that, a series containing Gilchrist, Ponting, McGrath, Gillespie, Martyn, Flintoff, Pietersen, Gough, and this young Bangladeshi kid wins it. It'd be brilliant, and is a real strong possibility (despite his golden duck today).
I agree...B'desh were completely outclassed in the tests as expected, but I think they have come along way in the one dayers, They obviously have some talent in there..Mortaza (age 21) could develop into a very good international bowler,Aftab Ahmed (age 19) has shown some real potential,Ashraful's (age 20) innings vs both Australia and England will remain amongst the highlights of the summer, and some of the other players who are very very young may well go on to do some good stuff in the future.

You can tell they have learnt a lot, and they have a core of players on which to build..

They look like they are about at the same level Sri Lanka were in around 1985 ish in ODIs...so here is to a B'desh World Cup win in 2015 :D

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
King_Ponting said:
He said that "bangladesh fell away quickly after we got a couple of wickets, so i dont believe that their depth is there at all" or something along those lines
Verbatim from the BBC interview: "They did fall away after they lost that third wicket, I think we took our last five wickets for two or three runs I think, so that says a lot about the quality of the bowling that Andrew [Symonds] and Brad [Hogg] delivered for us this afternoon."

He didn't mention Bangladesh's batting, other than to say that Ashraful rode his luck, which he did.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Adamc said:
Verbatim from the BBC interview: "They did fall away after they lost that third wicket, I think we took our last five wickets for two or three runs I think, so that says a lot about the quality of the bowling that Andrew [Symonds] and Brad [Hogg] delivered for us this afternoon."

He didn't mention Bangladesh's batting, other than to say that Ashraful rode his luck, which he did.
Thanks. I thought it seemed a bit unlike Ponting to attack the quality of another team in a post-match interview, particularly when they beat Australia just recently. He's usually pretty humble in that situation.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Swervy said:
They look like they are about at the same level Sri Lanka were in around 1985 ish in ODIs...so here is to a B'desh World Cup win in 2015 :D
If that WC is played in the sub-continent and they make the same developing like the way Sri Lanka were in the 96 WC i would agree.

Swervy

International Captain
aussie said:
If that WC is played in the sub-continent and they make the same developing like the way Sri Lanka were in the 96 WC i would agree.
yeah I agree, it did help that the 96 WC was in Asia..but still.

The key things for Sri Lankas development were the maturing of Ranatunga and De Silva as batsmen and then the big one , Murali. And even then Sri Lanka werent too hot in ODI's until 1995 or 96

After that everything seemed to slot into place very quickly..thats all B'desh need, the emergance of a real world class bowler

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Swervy said:
yeah I agree, it did help that the 96 WC was in Asia..but still.

The key things for Sri Lankas development were the maturing of Ranatunga and De Silva as batsmen and then the big one , Murali. And even then Sri Lanka werent too hot in ODI's until 1995 or 96

After that everything seemed to slot into place very quickly..thats all B'desh need, the emergance of a real world class bowler
well they have Mashrafe who could become one and Ashraful has convinced me that he is pretty darn good.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Scaly piscine said:
Shame about Strauss missing out on a hundred, another clueless performance from Solanki with the bat.
time for Bell to get into this ODI side, i just dont see a place for Solanki anymore.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Jono said:
However I do recall TEC, and likely you, calling for Lee's head claiming he didn't deserve to be in the Austrlaian ODI team over Kaspa and Gillespie.
You do not recall that because I have never said it.

In the Test side, yes, but not the ODI - ever.

tooextracool

International Coach
Jono said:
However I do recall TEC, and likely you, calling for Lee's head claiming he didn't deserve to be in the Austrlaian ODI team over Kaspa and Gillespie. I think he's proven he needs to be there without question.
and you dont think that was a fair claim to make the way gillespie and kaspa were bowling at the time? remember kaspa had an average of 14 @3.67 in 2004, while gillespie had 21 @ 3.88.
like it or not, lee had in the last 6 months not performed as well as they were last year. i've never claimed that lee was a poor ODI bowler, just that he didnt deserve to be playing ahead of kaspa or gillespie. but with the way kaspa and gillespie are bowling now, theres no doubt about who should be playing.