• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** NatWest Series/Challenge

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Langeveldt said:
Ask me in twenty-six years time when they've managed to beat them again...
So, you don't think that the fact that a team that includes a bunch of players from 17 to 21 beat the best team in the world comprehensively, and that players like Mohammad Ashraful, Aftab Ahmed, Javed Omar and Mushrafe Mortaza have been consistently competitive against two top class sides (and three of them are 21 or younger) indicates that Bangladesh have a lot of talent and should be persisted with?

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Faaip what do you think Australia's team should be when Pup eventually returns, would you drop Watson or Hogg. I'd say presently Hogg is more likely to be retained.

Langeveldt

Soutie
FaaipDeOiad said:
So, you don't think that the fact that a team that includes a bunch of players from 17 to 21 beat the best team in the world comprehensively, and that players like Mohammad Ashraful, Aftab Ahmed, Javed Omar and Mushrafe Mortaza have been consistently competitive against two top class sides (and three of them are 21 or younger) indicates that Bangladesh have a lot of talent and should be persisted with?
they've been humiliated a rediculous amount of times. Why don't other countries get this special attention?. I guess we are going to have to agree to disagree on the issue..

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Langeveldt said:
they've been humiliated a rediculous amount of times. Why don't other countries get this special attention?. I guess we are going to have to agree to disagree on the issue..
What special attention? If a team was struggling, obviously the normal cricket fan would look at what potential there was in their team for them to improve in the future. Bangladesh clearly has a great deal of potential, with three players in particular on this tour impressive virtually everyone who has seen them. Surely you have noticed how much the batting in particular of Bangladesh has improved over the course of the series? And how consistently good Mortaza has been? How Ashraful has taken bowlers like Gillespie, Harmison and Lee to the cleaners?

They've won a match in the NWS, and looked competitive generally since the later stages of the test series, and there's a lot of positives to take from the tour for Bangladesh. Given that recently before this they have beaten Zimbabwe in a test series, won an ODI against India, and been competitive on a couple of other occasions, it's obvious that under Bashar and Whatmore they are on the improve.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
aussie said:
Faaip what do you think Australia's team should be when Pup eventually returns, would you drop Watson or Hogg. I'd say presently Hogg is more likely to be retained.
I'd drop Watson. Symonds has done pretty well with the ball so far, Clarke can bowl a bit, Watson has looked fairly flat, and as much as I love the guy I just don't think there's much of a place for him in the ODI side at the moment, especially if these substitution laws come in for the Natwest Challenge, in which case both Kasprowicz and Clarke or something can be picked in his stead.

The fan in my mind would like to see Watson get a go batting at 4 or so in the next match against Bangladesh though. But, unless he should do something remarkable with the ball in that match, I would drop him for Clarke for the last two matches against England.

King_Ponting

International Regular
I think pontings interview last nite after the match gives bangladesh a slap in the face as far as their depth and potential is concerned.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
King_Ponting said:
I think pontings interview last nite after the match gives bangladesh a slap in the face as far as their depth and potential is concerned.
Shows how short a memory Ponting has - or what a fool he is.

Take your pick.

King_Ponting

International Regular
FaaipDeOiad said:
I'd drop Watson. Symonds has done pretty well with the ball so far, Clarke can bowl a bit, Watson has looked fairly flat, and as much as I love the guy I just don't think there's much of a place for him in the ODI side at the moment, especially if these substitution laws come in for the Natwest Challenge, in which case both Kasprowicz and Clarke or something can be picked in his stead.

The fan in my mind would like to see Watson get a go batting at 4 or so in the next match against Bangladesh though. But, unless he should do something remarkable with the ball in that match, I would drop him for Clarke for the last two matches against England.
My respect for you has gone up a notch. I couldnt ever make the statement that my favourite player should be dropped.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
King_Ponting said:
My respect for you has gone up a notch. I couldnt ever make the statement that my favourite player should be dropped.
He's not my favourite player really, that's taken by McGrath and Lara. :)

But, I think he's a huge talent and has a big future in Australian cricket, if he can work on a few problem areas.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
FaaipDeOiad said:

yeah well i agree, but Hogg has looked good but we must remember that Hogg is almost 34 but surely doesn't look like it, so if he has a dip in form in the next year or so he would be out of the Australian team.Has you said i would like to see Watson batting up the order for the last game againts Bangladesh.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
King_Ponting said:
luckyeddie said:
Shows how short a memory Ponting has - or what a fool he is.

Take your pick.
What did he say exactly that was a slap in the face to Bangladesh? If it's the interview I saw, he just said that Symonds and Hogg bowled well, they were untidy at the start, and that Gilchrist and Hayden were good batsmen. Then they talked to Andrew Symonds and gave him man of the match. Did I miss something?

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
luckyeddie said:
I doubt he will EVER be allowed to forget about them.
well thats true, that shocking defeat will live with him & all aussie supporters for a longggggggggggggggggggggg time. :dry:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
aussie said:
Well tec he has been bowling like that in ODI's since the VB series, thats why i have been saying since then that the way he is bowling in ODI's is good enough to make him a successful test match bowler right now
He's been bowling like that in ODI's all the time though, and hasn't been succeeding in Tests.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
aussie said:
well thats true, that shocking defeat will live with him & all aussie supporters for a longggggggggggggggggggggg time. :dry:
If the nine of diamonds is known as the 'Curse of Scotland', I see no reason why a score of 249-5 shouldn't be known as the 'Curse of Australia' - or maybe that's what Fosters Lager already is.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
zinzan12 said:
FINALLY TEC .....acknowledgement of Lee's bowling. Told you he was more dangerous than previous years
TEC has, like me, always acknowledged Lee as an ODI bowler though.