• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** NatWest Series/Challenge

Eclipse

International Debutant
age_master said:
nah this time they really should be going after the 400 barrier...
It's funny though.. Australia have never really been a team to bash minow countrys and Bangladesh as well as some other teams..

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Eclipse said:
It's funny though.. Australia have never really been a team to bash minow countrys and Bangladesh as well as some other teams..
Part of that is because Ricky always sends them in, without fail, and Steve Waugh did the same. I guess Ponting's decision to bat first the other day was a change from that, but as Australia had been a touch out of form he probably wanted the batting practice.

There have been some pretty brutal performances with the ball by Australians against minnows of course, but with the bat it's mostly been 80 to win on 10 overs or whatever and that's it. See the game against the USA last year and Namibia in the 2003 wc and you'll see what I mean.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Eclipse said:
i know, they are more likley to send them in and try and roll them, but to be honest the batsmen could use some time in the middle. especially Ponting. and if Gilchrist, Ponting or Symonds get going any score is possible

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
LongHopCassidy said:
I don't think Ponting will have the hide to bat again, pitch willing.
Not today, for sure.

Horrible weather in Derby today - gloomy, damp - I suspect that it won't be that great in Manchester. It could be a nightmare batting early on.

(hopes Bangladesh wins the toss)

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Looks like Clarke will still be out, so one would expect no changes against Bangladesh. Kasprowicz in for McGrath is possible, but probably won't happen.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
Australia win the toss and bowl. Looks like Ricky's not taking any risks.
Only an idiot would have elected to bat this morning.

<quack> So why did Ponting put them in, then?

Haven't a clue, DD. Completely out of character.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Interesting first over from Lee there. A few wayward ones to start, then the third ball swung a bit and the rest was right on line, with two genuine edges. If he bowls like that I think Bangladesh will have real problems, but there isn't much movement out there yet.

edit: okay, McGrath is moving it all over the place. Guess there's plenty in the wicket.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Bangladesh doing really well to have not lost a wicket in 6 overs here. These conditions would be hard for anyone.

Now that I say that, Lee gets a wicket.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Lee gets his second. That one actually came in a bit off the seam , and Lee isn't bowling as fast as normal, so it looks like he's trying something different.

Either way, it was a very nice ball, even if he hasn't been that great today. Extra bounce plus movement back in will trouble just about anyone when it comes in the high 80s.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Ashraful doing well again here, but playing some insane shots in the process. He just tried to flick a short ball outside off stump over his shoulder to fine leg, and hit it into his own helmet.