• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** NatWest Series/Challenge

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
tooextracool said:
and i can almost guarantee you that if thorpe scores a 10 & a 20 in the first test, he'd be dropped for pietersen.
Well assuming that Pietersen has more performances like what he did at Bristol & other equally good performances i'd would agree with that, but if that doesn't happen then Thorpe should stay.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
tooextracool said:
just on watson, i cant believe that he was picked to play test cricket, especially as a 'bowling all rounder'. he's so far from being test class with the ball its simply amazing. he might make a decent ODI bowler because hes fairly accurate and has a good slower ball and makes a decent 5th bowler, but seriously he seriously isnt good enough to play test cricket.
well at Sydney i would say he was selected more has an experiment, but its obvious that currently that he isn't ready for test cricket but he certainly does have the talent & potential once he gets more exposure at the international level to be successful.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Scallywag said:
Unless you didnt noticed I never mentioned Vaughan.

You made the call that it was a mistake for Ponting to bat first, do you think it was a mistake for england to ask Australia to bat first.
I think I made that call too, and it was a crass error of judgement (although under the circumstances - we all thought that Bangladesh would be rolled easily) I can sort-of understand why it was made that way.

I don't think it was a mistake for England to field first - after all, England haven't got a clue how to set a target at the best of times, whereas they are often pretty good chasers.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
aussie said:
its an idea but for me i would want to see a full strenght aussie side tomoro when i go to the ground.
Can you see Australia EVER underestimating anyone again for a long, long time?

I can't. Last week was a one-off event, never to be repeated - well, not for a year or two.

Scallywag

Banned
luckyeddie said:
I think I made that call too, and it was a crass error of judgement (although under the circumstances - we all thought that Bangladesh would be rolled easily) I can sort-of understand why it was made that way.

I don't think it was a mistake for England to field first - after all, England haven't got a clue how to set a target at the best of times, whereas they are often pretty good chasers.
Australia batted first against Bangladesh so they would get to bat 50 overs. Putting Bangladesh into bat first and rolling them for 120 would not give the Australians many overs to find form with the bat. Aus didnt lose because Ponting elected to bat first, they lost because Bangladesh (Arashful) batted out of their skins and good luck to them they deserved their win.

Sylvester

State Captain
aussie said:
its an idea but for me i would want to see a full strenght aussie side tomoro when i go to the ground.
Yea same, cant see aus wanting to take Bangladesh lightly again last thing they need is another upset.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Australia will want to keep going and build momentum still, if we hammer Bangadesh and beat England again next time you might see Haddin and Katich opening the batting to give them some time in the middle before the test series, but i would suggest not until that happens.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
age_master said:
Australia will want to keep going and build momentum still, if we hammer Bangadesh and beat England again next time you might see Haddin and Katich opening the batting to give them some time in the middle before the test series, but i would suggest not until that happens.

Haddin won't play in the test series unless Gilly is injured and he's an ironman so that isn't going to happen. I think with Gilly a little short on runs he will play until he gets a good score. Katich on the other hand may get a game once we have qualified for the finals.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
there is always the chance of injury, i think that Haddin will quite possibly get our last Bangladesh game so hes had a little match practice before the tests just in case. the other option would have been to sign him up to a county team and have him playing over there in case of injury but they didn't do that.

Mister Wright

age_master said:
there is always the chance of injury, i think that Haddin will quite possibly get our last Bangladesh game so hes had a little match practice before the tests just in case. the other option would have been to sign him up to a county team and have him playing over there in case of injury but they didn't do that.
They have a couple of tour games before the tests he will play one of those. Yeah, I think Haddin will get the last game, but they will want Gilly to get some runs before the final, if he hasn't he might play all games.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
I don't think Australia will drop McGrath just yet, given that it is actually still a "live" game in the series, and if Australia were to lose tonight they will have their work cut out for them to make the final.

I would love to see Watson get a go up the order.

Mister Wright

FaaipDeOiad said:
I don't think Australia will drop McGrath just yet, given that it is actually still a "live" game in the series, and if Australia were to lose tonight they will have their work cut out for them to make the final.

I would love to see Watson get a go up the order.
Wouldn't we all, but it isn't going to happen, not in the immediate future anyway.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Mister Wright said:
Wouldn't we all, but it isn't going to happen, not in the immediate future anyway.
I wouldn't necessarily say that. Right now, Hayden, Gilchrist and Ponting will retain their spots as they haven't done much with the bat in the ODIs yet, but Martyn, Symonds and Hussey are a bit more flexible. I could see Watson coming in at 4 or 5 to give him some batting practice, in a dead match.

Mister Wright

FaaipDeOiad said:
I wouldn't necessarily say that. Right now, Hayden, Gilchrist and Ponting will retain their spots as they haven't done much with the bat in the ODIs yet, but Martyn, Symonds and Hussey are a bit more flexible. I could see Watson coming in at 4 or 5 to give him some batting practice, in a dead match.
Given, that Symonds has missed 2 games already, I'd say he will play out the series, considering he isn't in the test squad, I do think Martyn will be rested soon though.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
luckyeddie said:
Can you see Australia EVER underestimating anyone again for a long, long time?

I can't. Last week was a one-off event, never to be repeated - well, not for a year or two.
well i'll be hoping no occurance of what happens at cardiff ever happens again has long has i support Australia.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
age_master said:
nah this time they really should be going after the 400 barrier...
damn right i'll be looking for that kinda score once Australia bat first when i get down to the ground in about 5 hours time :D

Mister Wright

aussie said:
damn right i'll be looking for that kinda score once Australia bat first when i get down to the ground in about 5 hours time :D
If the pitch is like last time, I surely hope they do not bat first.