• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** NatWest Series/Challenge

Barney Rubble

International Coach
superkingdave said:
wicket needed or this could reach 300
Well, 66 off the last five is stretching it a little......

As I type, Trescothick throws down the stumps to run out Symonds - must be the first run out he's been responsible for in a while! 300 looks miles away now, HUGE wicket.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
andyc said:
what did hawkeye say on that appeal?
Whatever Hawkeye said, the ball would have hit the stumps. Umpire thought Symonds edged it, and it hit him just outside the line imo. Close though.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
I really don't get all the Martyn-bashing in this thread. He's played a perfectly paced innings today under the circumstances. If he had got himself out Australia would be looking at 250 as a good score, not 260-280.

And 57 off 72 is hardly terribly slow.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
superkingdave said:
run a ball gets 264 - Australis should be looking at atleast 280 imo, but 264 is a decent score
Maybe but with so many wickets in hand, I reckon 270-275 should have been scored. England have done well to keep it reasonably tight. Last 4 overs will be vital IMO.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
FaaipDeOiad said:
I really don't get all the Martyn-bashing in this thread. He's played a perfectly paced innings today under the circumstances. If he had got himself out Australia would be looking at 250 as a good score, not 260-280.

He's an excellent player in the middle overs, which is why he bats at four, and, true to form, he played excellently in the middle overs. With so many wickets in hand, however, I don't understand why he hasn't shown the slightest inclination to aggression in the last ten or so overs. He played a vital innings, but could have done far, far more, IMO.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Only four off that over, well bowled Dazzler. Three to go, they really need 25 more to be confident of defending it. Otherwise England are very much favourites.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I don't think 270, 280 etc. is a particularly good score, it's the sort of pitch where there's virtually no threat of someone bowling a guy out (as opposed to someone getting out trying to achieve a run-rate). I think virtually any international class side would score 250 minimum.

Neil Pickup

Request Your Custom Title Now!
FaaipDeOiad said:

I'd love to see Martyn dropped, he plays such a crucial role in this sort of situation - I think it's the base mindset of seeing Hayden-Ponting-Gilchrist scoring SR 90 from ball one and 'fans' without an understanding of the game expecting everyone to do that.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Scaly piscine said:
I don't think 270, 280 etc. is a particularly good score, it's the sort of pitch where there's virtually no threat of someone bowling a guy out (as opposed to someone getting out trying to achieve a run-rate). I think virtually any international class side would score 250 minimum.
I think ill wait till mcgraths first spell before i decide on the pitch

Hussey goes

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Scaly piscine said:
Err, the pitch isn't that much of a road. It's quite slow and a few have kept low. You haven't noticed Martyn and Symonds mistiming them a lot?

I think England are perfectly capable of getting 270 or so on this pitch of course, but it's still a good score that can definately be defended with decent bowling. It's looking out of Australia's reach now with that wicket.