• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** 'My Current World XI' Thread

howardj

International Coach
zinzan12 said:
Unlike the ICC .....My ODI side takes form and Record into consideration as opposed to just the overall record with a strong weighting towards form in the last 12-18 months or so.

My ODI side would be .....

Gilchrist
Fleming (c)
Astle
Ponting
Pietersen/Hussey
Symonds
Flintoff
Vettori
Bond
Murali
Mcgrath

Note: Fleming is there mainly for his captaincy....having said that he holds his own with his ODI batting in the last couple of years. The World XI's bad lack of leadership was shown up in the recent Super Series.
You wouldn't come from N.Z by any chance? :p Ponting is a more successful ODI leader than Fleming - at least his equal as an ODI captain. Besides, an ODI side is not that hard to captain. I just think Fleming is perhaps the most overrated cricketer in a very long time -with a sub 40 Test average, and still dining out on that rain-marred, drawn series in Australia in 2001/02.

Blaze

Banned
howardj said:
You wouldn't come from N.Z by any chance? :p Ponting is a more successful ODI leader than Fleming - at least his equal as an ODI captain. Besides, an ODI side is not that hard to captain. I just think Fleming is perhaps the most overrated cricketer in a very long time -with a sub 40 Test average, and still dining out on that rain-marred, drawn series in Australia in 2001/02.

Look at the resources Ponting has compared to Fleming though. How much NZ cricket do you watch? Fleming is a very astute captain.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
He is, but it doesn't warrant his inclusion in a World XI.

And if Ponting and Lee at the very least don't deserve to be in a World XI, then a hell of a lot of people must be very biased indeed. Symonds hitting ability, his fielding and his bowling would get him in as a utility player for me, ahead of various other people who could bat at 6 or 7 and play that role.

howardj

International Coach
Blaze said:
Look at the resources Ponting has compared to Fleming though. How much NZ cricket do you watch? Fleming is a very astute captain.
Regardless of resources, Ponting is at least Fleming's equal as an ODI captain. There's certainly not a big enough gap between them that justifies Fleming's inclusion in a hypothetical World ODI XI, because of his captaincy. Of the current skippers, nobody is that far above the rest in the ODI captaincy stakes. Test captaincy is a different matter, but even in that arena, people tend to over-rate Fleming.

Blaze

Banned
FaaipDeOiad said:
He is, but it doesn't warrant his inclusion in a World XI.

And if Ponting and Lee at the very least don't deserve to be in a World XI, then a hell of a lot of people must be very biased indeed. Symonds hitting ability, his fielding and his bowling would get him in as a utility player for me, ahead of various other people who could bat at 6 or 7 and play that role.

I agree. I would have Ponting over Fleming any day of the week. He wouldn't be my captain though.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
Because Australian doesn't automatically mean best.

And to suggest Symonds ahead of the likes of Inzamam (as you did) smacks of bias.

Inzamam is a liability in teh field Symonds is an invaluable asset, Symonds also bowls abit and i would say is pretty muuch on par with Inzy when it comes to ODI batting these days.

as for Akhtar or Vaas ahead of Lee in an ODI, well thats just silly.

howardj

International Coach
age_master said:
Inzamam is a liability in teh field Symonds is an invaluable asset, Symonds also bowls abit and i would say is pretty muuch on par with Inzy when it comes to ODI batting these days.

Agreed. Hard to know how anyone could pick Inzy in their ODI side. Fact is, he only puts effort into games when it suits him; is a liability in the field; and doesn't bowl. Therefore, it falls back to his batting, which is not so outstanding, or so far above the other contenders, as to make up for the above deficiencies.

Shoaib

Banned
aussie said:
again i wonder why Ponting, Symo, Lee aren't their :-O 8-)
I would like to have Ponting & Lee in my test side but as far as Symond's is concerned,I don't think he is better than Shoaib Malik in ODIs.Batting abilities of Malik & Symonds r equal but Malik is a front line off spinner in ODIs who is more dangerous than Simmy with his doosras & other mystery balls.

Shoaib

Banned
age_master said:
Akhtar & Vaas have a better ODI record than Lee & because of this reason,they should be given preference over Lee in ODIs at least.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Shoaib said:
I would like to have Ponting & Lee in my test side but as far as Symond's is concerned,I don't think he is better than Shoaib Malik in ODIs.Batting abilities of Malik & Symonds r equal but Malik is a front line off spinner in ODIs who is more dangerous than Simmy with his doosras & other mystery balls.
Lee in your test side, na you would cop some stick for that one.

Look at Symonds record as a batsman since the 2003 WC i'm pretty sure its a fair way better than Malik, plus i dont see how Malik is a front line spinner??? regardless of the doosra that he may have he does the same role for PAK with the ball that Symo does for Australia & i wont be surprised if Symo has more wickets than him since the 2003 WC, plus Symo bowling has more variety he can also bowl medim pace & is a better all-round fieldsman than Mr.Malik...

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Shoaib said:
Akhtar & Vaas have a better ODI record than Lee & because of this reason,they should be given preference over Lee in ODIs at least.
what?? go back and check the stats....

Shoaib

Banned
aussie said:
what?? go back and check the stats....
Sorry,I must've been sleeping when I wrote that Vaas & Akhtar have better record than either of the other guys but Akhtar & Lee have quite similar records but Vaas is too far away to be considered

Deja moo

International Captain
age_master said:

Akhtar ahead of Lee is definitely silly. But saying that Vaas ahead of Lee would be silly is sillier.

Shoaib

Banned
Shoaib said:
Adam Gilchrist (C/WK)
Marcus Trescothick
Brian Lara
Inzamam-Ul-Haq
Rahul Dravid
Shoaib Malik
Andrew Flintoff
Brett Lee
Shoaib Akhtar
Muttiah Muralitharan
Glenn McGrath
Shahid Afridi (Super-Sub)
Lee is now there in place of Vaas

howardj

International Coach
Deja moo said:
Akhtar ahead of Lee is definitely silly. But saying that Vaas ahead of Lee would be silly is sillier.
Lee brings much more to an ODI side than just his bowling. He's a terrific fieldsman; a handy lower order batsman; and genuine six-hitter.

thierry henry

International Coach
Symonds career batting record is just about identical to Gilchrist's. That includes the first half of his career where he sucked. The last 2 and a half years of his career have been outstanding and I think he would make a world ODI XI on batting alone, but certainly with his allround abilities.

Deja moo

International Captain
Shoaib said:
I suggest that u go & check the stats before making any comments.
Last 100 Games:

Brett Lee: 100 507 51* 19.50 0 1 184 5/30 21.70 3 26 0
Chaminda Vaas: 100 739 50* 14.49 0 1 139 8/19 23.61 2 22 0

Last 50 Games :

Brett Lee: 50 242 38* 24.20 0 0 85 5/41 22.34 1 14 0
Chaminda Vaas 50 305 28* 12.20 0 0 78 6/25 20.89 1 9 0

Now, tell me why Vaas, arguably the best slog overs bowler in the world should be dismissed so off-handedly by a biased Aussie, as in the post I quoted ?

Deja moo

International Captain
howardj said:
Lee brings much more to an ODI side than just his bowling. He's a terrific fieldsman; a handy lower order batsman; and genuine six-hitter.
As is Vaas. And hes probably the best slog overs bowler around, an attribute many teams tend to overlook when selecting their squads.